FJPearson

Compatible Lens Mount

FJPearson

Considering the fact I am absolutely new to the Fujifilm system I looked for an answer to this in the forums but did not find one. I know I can purchase adapters for Leica M lens but, will a Fuji DM F/AX Mount Lens work with a Fuji X Pro1. Are there any older Fuji system lens that will adapt to the X system?

Christopher

Absolutely! There are all sorts of vintage 35mm film lenses you can adapt to your Fuji X-Pro1, or any other X System camera. It's only a matter of finding the right lens adaptor. eBay is a great place to find them without spending a fortune. Searching for 'Fuji AX to FX' on eBay finds this $26.65 USD Adaptor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-AX-Fujica-old-X-lens-To-Fujifilm-X-Pro1-FX-mount-adapter-Fuji-X-E1-E2-M1-T1-/151537548461

Other lens adaptors can be found the same way. "Canon FD to Fuji FX" "Nikon F to Fuji FX" etc.

Edited by Christopher

vague_logic

There is at least one adapter for Fujinon SLR lenses (EBC DM F/AX) to Fujifilm X mount that I have seen on eBay sold by Kiwi. Like all adapted lenses, aperture and focus will have to be set manually. Adapted lenses are very cost effective if you don't mind shooting in manual mode.

Mac 

FJPearson

Thanks for the reply. I just searched Ebay and found a few adapters, looking forward to using this x Pro.

excalibur2811

I wonder why this approach is not more popular. I mean there must be loads of old manual lenses out there.

Any idea if there is a good brand adapter for a pentax k mount to Fuji xt1?

And how does one convert full frame to aps-c equivalent?

Thanks.

John

andymcd

EBay will have loads, but they will be manual only.

When using full frame lens on apsc you get an effective focal length of 1.5x the original length

K1W1_Mk2

I wonder why this approach is not more popular. I mean there must be loads of old manual lenses out there.

Any idea if there is a good brand adapter for a pentax k mount to Fuji xt1?

And how does one convert full frame to aps-c equivalent?

Thanks.

John

First of all a lot of older film lenses are rubbish on digital cameras in terms of the expectations of modern photographers. Either they are not good optically or they have a softer film like look that many people don't like these days. It is a bit of a lottery and you don't know until you try one out unfortunately.

Second most people can't be bothered with manual everything these days and very few cameras actually work as manual everything devices.

For the Pentax K to Fuji X adapter I use a K+F from eBay. It cost less than US$10 delivered and works perfectly. It is rock steady with no lens movement what so ever.

All X mount cameras are APS-C sensors so they are 1,5x crop factor. A 50mm lens has a 75mm effective FOV on a APS-C camera. A 35mm lens has an effective 50mm FOV and a 200mm lens has an effective 300mm FOV. Every lens is designated as FF focal length so if for example you but the Fuji 35mm F2 lens it will have near enough the same FOV as any 35mm lens from any other manufacturer whether it was designed for digital or film.

• Like 1

veejaycee

@excalibur2811 you are way behind the times. Many already use adapters and cheap MF film and digital lenses. Many in fact use only adapted lenses.

All Fuji (and other) mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras can accept lens adapters to use 3rd party lenses. Best are older lenses with an aperture ring otherwise you need an adapter with an aperture ring which often won't have actual apertures but a simple 1, 2, 3, 4 etc without click stops.

There are many adapters on the market. just Google "lens adapters". I have used Kipon with Nikon lenses but a better quality IMO is Fotodiox which I use with Minolta and Minolta Rokkor 24mm f2.8, 50mm f2 (tiny lens) 50mm f1.4, 58mm f1.4, the latter are character lenses with special bokeh, hence three nifty fifties also a 135mm f2.8 which has bokeh approaching that of my Fuji 90mm f2. Some of these lenses were bought as cheap alternatives and some for their good response to IR light where the Fuji equivalents show an IR hotspot. I now have more or less a full stable of Fuji lenses but I'm still buying more old lenses provided they have some special character. For examples of what I mean and lots of advice head over to DPReview's Adapted lens talk forum.

BTW some Nikon lenses such as the 105mm f2.5 are outstanding but many suffer from a lack of contrast and CAs so although I already had many Nikon lenses I sold them and looked around for other brands.

• Like 1

excalibur2811

Thanks everyone.

Just for the record, my Pentax 50 mm has a marked aperture ring so I should be ok after I buy the "K+F from eBay" recommended by @K1W1_Mk2. It also still has the protective UV filter I had fitted when I first bought it back in the 1980's.

I am not quite sure how useful this (effectively now 75 mm on APS-C) lens would be on a day to day basis though. What I can say about it is that it is VERY compact, as in around two inches long, though I guess that's partially because it is after all a prime lens.

We'll see how it goes. :-)

Thanks again for opening up this new world of manual lenses for me. 

John

• Like 1

veejaycee

That 75mm makes a nice and usually fast portrait lens. I'm using Minolta Rokkor lenses so I bought a 58mm f1.4 (85mm FF) for that purpose. Sharp in the center with softer edges and swirley bokeh. I also got a M. Rokkor 50mm f1.4 which is sharp across the frame and much faster to manually focus (the 58mm takes almost an entire 360 degrees from min focus to inf so good for formal portraits). The total cost of these two lenses plus M.R. 24mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and 135mm f2.8 (200mm FF) cost £220 from ebay over a few months. The 2 fast 50s which date from the 1970s even came with service certificates showing a service date within the last 18months and looked hardly used.

Take some time to do your homework on what characteristics each lens has. Russian lenses Jupiter etc are well thought of and prices are slowly going up since the new wave of MILC users became aware of the fun to be had using adapted lenses.