Can we please have the option not to be notified about "likes". I know its a rather curmudgeonly request but frankly I don't care whether people "like" what I post or not and would prefer to be able to choose whether I get the notifications. I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree as is their right but to me "likes" are something I associate with "liking" a post on Facebook that a friend has died.

• Like 5

Interestingly, several times recently I tried to "like" posts and get an error "you are not allowed to give reputation to this user"... is this normal?

Interestingly, several times recently I tried to "like" posts and get an error "you are not allowed to give reputation to this user"... is this normal?

Hmm, that is unusual. Does it happen only with a specific user, or more at random?

Hmm, that is unusual. Does it happen only with a specific user, or more at random?

Seems random.  I previously got the error trying to like one of your posts.  Now it has allowed me to like this one, but gives the error when I try to "unlike" it!

Same with K1W1 and 1 or 2 others who's comments I have tried to "like".

In the past when I have seen the sort of message artuk mentioned it's been because the post count of the recipient has not been large enough to pass whatever limit the forum owner sets for I guess you would call it full membership of the site.

Strange! I'll have the software developers look into it, I believe they rolled out some bug fixes recently.

I'm mostly using IE (v11 for touch).  It seems to happen but rather at random - for example, when I "unliked" your post this morning I got the error, but then when I refreshed the page, your post had been unliked.  Using Chrome v28 for desktop now, it seems to work ok, so it may be an IE or IE Touch issue?

Hmm could be. Thanks for the extra info fellas, I will pass it along.

Thanks.  To be honest I have come across any number of websites recently that don't work correctly with I.E. - I assume because developers all test with Safari or Chrome, in spite of the respective installed user base for each browser.

Edited by artuk

Don't forget that I.E. Is about to be no more. Microsoft have killed it in the new version of Windows and replaced it with a new browser called Microsoft Edge. It could be that developers have their eyes on that.

Edited by K1W1_Mk2

In my 15 years developing websites, Internet Explorer has always been a difficult burden. Often it's a matter of building a website correctly with standards, and then hacking apart that clean code to make it work with IE. The situation has improved a lot over the last few years, but older versions are still in use.

I'm going to be updating the site software soon to address a few bugs I've noticed, hopefully this quirk will get ironed out once and for all.

Don't forget that I.E. Is about to be no more. Microsoft have killed it in the new version of Windows and replaced it with a new browser called Microsoft Edge. It could be that developers have their eyes on that.

That could be true, although some of my colleagues have seen "Edge" as our company has a relationship with Microsoft, and I think it is more like a new version of IE that is much leaner and faster.  I don't think there will be much difference with what it supports etc, from what I've heard from anecdotal reports.

If you look at the installed user based of browsers, Chrome (Android) and Safari (iOS) are dominant on mobile, although IE Mobile is reported to be functionally superior, whereas on desktop, IE is still the dominant standard, followed by Chrome, Firefox and then Safari desktop.  I've recently been surprised by a number of fancy looking websites that simply don't work correctly with IE desktop, including one with fields for the user to enter dates etc. that was totally non-functional.  I think it is to a degree a "sign of the times" since much I.T. development now eschews robust testing in favour of getting something out there, clearly tested with a limited number of browsers,  This is not a comment on this website, just recent experience in general.

I really like IE11 for Touch, it is surprisingly fast and responsive and works well with a touch interface (different from IE Mobile), so I hope Edge combines the best of that with better non-touch performance. IE can still be quite sluggish on normal desktop for reasons I have never understood, and I have preferred Opera desktop for many years as it is very lean and also quick.