slackjawgaze

X-T10 poor batt life...

slackjawgaze

Hi

I have had the X-T10 for about 2 weeks now...

Very poor batt life... I have the x100 and X-E1 both of these are fine (400 shots ish).

But the X-T10 maybe 150 ish!!! ------ especially with the 18-55 lens attached!

---- you can hear a permanent very low whooshing sound when this lens attached ---

If I attach the 35mm f1.4 no sound and batt life about 300 ish - same with the 12mm Samyang manual lens.

If I attach the 18-55 on my X-E1 no low whooshing sound.

I have tried another camera in shop - all make this whooshing sound with 18-55 attached - just weird!!!

Thanks

Carl

• Like 1

slackjawgaze

Just updated lens firmware for the 18-55 lens... from 3.11 to 3.12 (latest) to see if helps!

no - still the same :-(

veejaycee

I'm sure I answered this about 10 hours ago - I think I must keep hitting the "insert other media" button - not for the first time..

Anyway, what I said was along the lines of - It may be the OIS so try switching that off or maybe you have selected Pre AF and CAF which will cause the lens to continually refocus as it's moved. I don't get this myself - at least I don't notice it but I have heard of the problem.

All those things will also cause a more rapid battery power drainage.

Edited by veejaycee

Christopher

The sound you're hearing is the image stabilization system gyroscope moving, it is normal to hear it.

Do you also have the camera set to continuous autofocus?

slackjawgaze

Hi Christopher

I have the X-T10   Autofocus set to S - Single (not CAF).   pre AF turned off.   Af OIS set to mode 2 shooting only.

EVF only.   Wireless off.     High performance mode - off.    Latest firmware for lens and body.    I turn off camera

rather than wait 2 mins to auto shut down.   Now trying another batt charger (from my x-e1same unit as the x-t10)...

To see if batt life improves?

But still get a permanent very low whooshing sound when this lens attached - its not a focusing sound --- a permament hum!!

maybe its the giros spinning - good suggestion thanks.

slackjawgaze

Hi 

Resolution - 18-55 lens will permanently make this hum/noise (If firmware is upgraded from original). Email back from fuji team.

--- you can hear a permanent very low whooshing sound when this lens attached ---

It looks like when the firmware on this lens is updated to 3.10 (or higher) - the gyros in the lens

are on permanently (to speed up IS 'when it is called for'). They permanently spin whether OIS

is on or off. Thus this is what is making the noise. You don't get it on the non-zoom lens ie

18/23/27/35/60 etc   Fuji did this because people said the OIS wasn't effective enough and gives

us more a lower shutter speeds without blur now.

Thanks everyone

Carl

Tips for batt last longer....

(1) IS Mode - If set to mode 1, the IS works continuously.  IF I set to mode 2, IS only works when the shutter button is half pressed... mine set to '2'.

(2) Pre-AF Mode - IF set to on, the lens auto-focuses continuously, even if AF-S mode is selected by the switch on the front of the camera... mine set to 'off'.

(3) AF-C Mode - In this mode, the lens will continuously try to attain/follow focus when the shutter button is half pressed...... this is off (AF-S selected). 

(4) EVF only + eye sensor.

(5) WIFI = off.

(6) High performance mode = off.

(7) Turn off camera when not in use! (Don't wait for the 2 min time out).

(8) Face detect = off.

Edited by slackjawgaze
  • Like 1

jeremyclarke

FWIW you should remember that the X-T10 also has a much-improved battery-estimation algorithm compared to the X-E1/X100 (it was first added in a previous camera I think the X100T).

The old algorithm was famously awful, reporting "3 bars" for 90% of battery life, "2 bars" for 8% of batter life, then "1 bar" for 5 shots before the camera died. 

The new algorithm is WAY more accurate, going from 3 to 2 bars then 2 to 1 much more quickly, but actually letting you get a lot more shots in once you're in the 1-2 bar range.

I've found myself freaking out at my X-T10 when it reports 2 bars long before I'd expect it to, then reminding myself it's fine and that I still have lots of shots. With the old system getting down to "1 bar" was basically a death sentence: The camera was about to shut off and stop working so we had to switch batteries as soon as we got to 1 bar. With the new system you can 'run on empty' way longer, and I find I can often finish whatever I'm doing and change the battery when it's convenient which wouldn't have been possible on the X-E1. 

SO: Remember that this is a factor and work it into your estimations. There's a good chance that like me you were trained by your X-E1/X100 to fear anything but "3 bars", and are underestimating the actual capacity of your batteries. 

stevelink

Jeremy,

Thanks for your information. As an XT-1 user, I find that the Fuji Vertical Grip with extra battery is quite helpful, as it drains first, then the camera battery kicks in. Plus, it's great being able to see both battery statuses in the LCD. (Also, I carry 2 more spares in addition to the onboard pair.)