Christopher

Do you predominantly shoot JPG or RAW?

JPG vs RAW  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you predominantly shoot JPG or RAW with your Fuji X Series Camera?

• I prefer to shoot JPG only.
    • I prefer to shoot RAW only.
    • I shoot both RAW + JPG and choose later.

Christopher

As we all know, Fujifilm's X Series cameras have been well regarded for their quality JPG output, many photographers have chosen to work with JPGs exclusively and forego the needs of complicated RAW post processing. That being said, Fujifilm's RAF RAW files provide photographers with an incredible amount of data and dynamic range to work with, it's easy to push an image to new levels with careful post processing while maintaining great image quality.

I thought it would be interesting to poll the community and see how our members prefer to shoot with their cameras.

Myself personally? I had been shooting RAW+JPG for years, I liked having the safety net, but I started to get tired of having to manage all the extra data. Now I shoot RAW only for my professional work, because I know I'll always want to push them in post. Almost all of my personal travel photos I now shoot JPG only, for ease of use. I just have to be honest with myself about what I intend to do with the photos - most of my personal snapshots never get shared or printed, they're just nice memories.

Every so often when I do shoot RAW+JPG, I find sometimes I prefer the JPG and can never get the RAW file to match it. I must not be the only one?

• Like 1

gryphon1911

Since Fuji is not my main shooter, JPG are just fine for me.

farrell

I leave my cameras set to RAW+JPEG;as a non-pro, i'm have no concerns about conserving

card space and I want RAW files for editing practice in Silkypix. I'm thinking of buying PS CS6.

NigelL

I too have my camera set to RAW+jpeg for, whilst I'm very happy with how colour images are rendered out of the camera, I can't quite get my X-E1 to produce black and whites the way I want them, and therefore resort to PPing later on.

veejaycee

I used to shoot raw and jpg on Nikon but I never used the jpgs and now I just shoot raw.

ranger

I shoot Raw and jpeg, but only use the Raws. The reason for the jpegs is so I can see what I've got and make selections using Bridge, which doesn't see RAF files (at least my old version doesn't). I'm cheap and avoid buying any more PP software than is absolutely necessary; all my raw converting done using SilkyPix to get Tiffs I can open in PS.

morpheme

All RAW for me. I always liked printing when I had to do it in the darkroom and I like post the way it's done now. For me using jpeg seems like the digital equivalent of sending your stuff out to a lab rather than doing it yourself.

veejaycee

I shoot Raw and jpeg, but only use the Raws. The reason for the jpegs is so I can see what I've got and make selections using Bridge, which doesn't see RAF files (at least my old version doesn't). I'm cheap and avoid buying any more PP software than is absolutely necessary; all my raw converting done using SilkyPix to get Tiffs I can open in PS.

Free FastStone image viewer - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm  - I've used it for years as a browser even though I have Bridge and View NX. Faststone sees and opens your canon/nikon/Fuji etc, RAW files. All you need do is Edit>Open-in and navigate to Silky or PS to enter the program in the list then choose whichever for either raw or tiff. It also has some editing tools but I've never used hem. I just use it as a browser to open and to order my image files and folders.

It's free but if you keep it as I'm sure you will, please consider making a donation. Latest update is 31/7/2015 so all Fuji cameras will be covered.

Edited by veejaycee

ranger

Does it allow for ranking shots (giving 'stars') and then to filter accordingly?

RichardCFrost

I am a total amateur and shoot solely for pleasure and preservation of memories. I moved systems back to Fuji last week largely because I love the quality of the JPG rendering. I enjoy the challenge of getting most of the work done in camera.

If I need to do anything in post production, I just use Snapseed on my iPad or Pixelmator on my Mac.

If I was faced with a really challenging shot, only then would I use RAW+JPG. But even then, I am so unskilled in RAW editing I would probably just make do with what I can squeeze from the JPG.

Maybe when I retire I will get into RAW.

artuk

I used to shoot raw and jpg on Nikon but I never used the jpgs and now I just shoot raw.

I don't know if it's now fixed in the latest cameras,but if you shoot raw without jpeg, the amount of "zoom" available when reviewing images was limited, making it less useful when checking focus.  For that reason it was useful to shoot raw+jpeg, even though it's not really needed as you can process a jpeg in camera later from the raw if needed.

veejaycee

I can press Focus Assist (XT1) and that goes straight to max magnification or use the rear control to zoom slowly.

jcx

I shoot RAW + JPG though generally won't use the JPG files. I'm not concerned with storage issues. I find, particularly with high-contrast subjects, shot with reasonable exposure balance invariably the JPGs will still have blown highlights, even if I set to soft, whereas exposing to the right I can bring the mids up in PP and get much better dynamic range. I have many shots I'm really happy with after a bit of PP that I would have deleted if I only had the JPG.

Bob_Boyer

JPEG + RAW for me. Old habits die hard, but since the majority of my professional work was in 4x5, I'm used to seeing shots before hitting the shutter button. Consequently, I don't take very many frames of any one angle of the subject and editing is easy. There are times when the JPEG works just fine for me out of the box, but I'll still save the RAW version of the file to be safe. The rest of the time, I enjoy working from RAW, especially now that I'm doing more conversions to B&W.

raagamuffin

I like JPEG. Currently experimenting with RAW, but I'm not sure I want to be stuck in a world of sliders, endless tweaking parameters to make it look like the out-of-camera jpegs.

JPEG+RAW, for now.

andymcd

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was JPEG only, but I've now started shooting RAW+JPEG and am processing in SilkyPix. I still like the JPEGs that the camera gives by default but I enjoy the flexibility of being able to adjust in RAW as well.

veejaycee

I like JPEG. Currently experimenting with RAW, but I'm not sure I want to be stuck in a world of sliders, endless tweaking parameters to make it look like the out-of-camera jpegs.

JPEG+RAW, for now.

If you want you images to look like the jpg then use the jpg - there is absolutely nothing to be gained by using an exact copy from a RAW - in the end it is just a jpg. Some of us feel (me included) that images developed from raws are better but if you find the look of the jpg is more to your liking than what you can produce using software then you should not feel pressurised into shooting or processing raw. However you may want to try shooting both for those ocassions when exposure or WB is so in need of adjustment that you turn to the raw for recovery.

Edited by veejaycee
  • Like 2

Aleksander H

There was a while I shot RAW, but in the last year sorting and editing images has started to bore me. It got to the point where my photos would go into Lightroom without edits, and just stay there. I still enjoy photography greatly though, and so I switched to shooting jpeg, and I'm very glad I did. First of all, I've become a better photographer as I no longer ignore minor under or overexposure, thinking I can simply correct them later. I now put much more emphasis on getting everything right at the time of shooting. I've also moved my image library to the cloud (Google Photos, although I obviously have all my earlier RAWs backed up) which has made my library available wherever I am. Now if I suddenly get into a conversation about a place I've been, I get show them a few shots, or if someone asks how my nephew is, I can show them the last photo I took. Before, they would all be locked away on my computer. Sure, I could have done exported all my shots from lightroom and uploaded them, but it would have been a lot more time consuming.

veejaycee

HI @Aleksander H

I keep my jpg copies on Google Photos as well as hard drives but I still shoot raw partly because I enjoy PP but also because I have better control over dynamic range which is handled far more sympathetically by raw developers than by in-camera settings. I also feel my BW are better generated from a raw file especially with assistance from Silver FX to dreate different variations.

PP is (to me) a modern version of my old wet darkroom but without the aching back and chemically induced headaches and with more control over the finished result.

Being retired, though actually taking fewer photos allows me more time for PP - if I was shooting more with less time at my disposal I would pay more attention to in-camera settings and shoot jpg. As it is I use little in the way of in-camera settings and nothing in the Q menu. I basically shoot as I did with film many years ago and only use automation forced on me by age and less mobility.

Of course, everyone should use what suits them best especially if not shooting as a pro who might have to cover all bets and at least have a raw copy for insurance.