Sign in to follow this  
Rosy Cruz

Why the x100 is far better than The x100T for videoing gigs.

Rosy Cruz

I realise that there is general criticism of the video function on the X100 cameras, but there is one area that the X100 excels - the videoing of live gigs. It’s the best camera for that purpose I’ve found since the Sony TRV 900. The  TRV 900 was far superior to the later ‘pro’ VX2100 in one critical way - the sound. 

Unfortunately The X100T is inferior to the original X100 for the same reason. Some nuance of the mic on the X100 gives a balanced sound for rock bands, and doesn’t distort the drums. They’ve changed something on the mic on the x100T and it’s nowhere near as good.* ( I ran a test and went through all the mic settings on the x100T but nothing matched the X100 preset. )

* The sound from the X100T mic is fine for acoustic sets, as good as the X100

The X100 is thus better than many video cameras for filming gigs. Obviously one might argue that you need to use an external sound mix, but with live gigs this isn’t really the case - because you can’t get the right sound by going through a mixing desk. 

Desk recordings don’t work for two main reasons 1) the live mix normally cuts out guitars, which are already cranked up through their own amps, and 2) they cut out the ambient sound of the crowd (apart from the small amount that is picked up by the vocal mix onstage) which adds all the  atmosphere of a show. Of course a show could be made to sound right by going through a sub mixing desk and attaching a condenser mic on the ceiling for the sound of the crowd. But that would need a whole new costly sound mix.

As I said, this is a niche feature but I thought it was worth mentioning for the benefit of all you gig goers out there! If you want a light, discrete video camera with a great HD capability, good low light capability and most of all the right kind of sound balance, I recommend the X100 (sadly even over the X100T.)

Edited by Rosy Cruz
typo

bigshot

You'd probably get even better sound than with the on camera mikes if you carried a digital recorder. I have the Tascam DR-40 and it deals well with incredibly loud levels. It holds sync for at least a half hour, often longer, and it has a tripod mount, so you can set it right next to the camera on sticks.

gryphon1911

If you are not getting the right sound from the mixing board, either they are not giving you the right feed or the engineer doesn't know what they are doing.