Frankleegiddings

Long exposures

Frankleegiddings

Is the cable release the only way to carry out exposures of several minutes  using the xpro1 camera ?

Frankleegiddings

Thank you for your reply. I guesses that it had to the old faithful cable release. Just wondered if I was missing something !

K1W1_Mk2

There are some fairly complicated mechanical devices around that can be worked by remote control but basically all they have is an electrically coupled arm that holds the shutter down. A cable release is simpler.

artuk

I thought some of the Fuji cameras could also use a Fuji electronic cable release (thru the USB port)?

Christopher

The original X-Pro1 and X100 didn't support USB or Mic shutter releases, only mechanical. There's a wild wirelessly controlled mechanical solution to the issue, but it involves quite a bit of DIY. Interesting nonetheless, to those curious: http://handya.co.nz/post/43777800968/wireless-remote-for-fuji-x100-camera-or-leica

IMG_0002.jpg

A company also sells a mechanical shutter release box that features a programmable schedule. It's literally a box with an arm that can depress a shutter button. Unfortunately it's $149: http://bymac.org/new/photography/14-tempus-all-mechanical-intervalometer.html

veejaycee

I bought a used (and thus known to work well) mecahnical cable. Avoid plastic models and opt gor metal mesh outer. I often simply use the shutter delay when I'm shooting IR from a tripod but for longer exposures the lockable cable is best.

K1W1_Mk2

The cable release I use goes back to the late 1970s and probably cost all of $1-2 at the time. Value for money I call it. :-)

I'm not sure whether the X-Pro1 has this or not but it's very handy on the X100s. Somewhere in the menu is a counter for long exposures. When you depress the shutter a counter starts up on the LCD  so you can time your shot and know when to let go of the shutter button. I find it very handy, much better than looking at a watch or a timer on a phone.