johnnyno

Focus Assist Light

johnnyno

Hi,

My focus assist light doesn't seem to be coming on in low light situations. Has anyone experienced this problem? Are there certain camera set-ups when it gets deactivated?

Many thanks! 

K1W1_Mk2

I'm not sure about Fuji cameras but on my Nikons the focus assist LED only works when the centre focus square is being used.

veejaycee

Silent mode or whatever it's called now?

..... and obviously make sure you have focus assist enabled.

Personally I don't use it because I would forget to switch it off then it attracts attention when I'm shooting.

Edited by veejaycee

dem

The focus assist light might be disabled in the camera setup menu. Make sure it is "ON" in the menu. If this option is greyed out, then the silent mode is probably ON.

jeremyclarke

I always forget where to find the setting but it's pretty easy to get to because AUTOFOCUS SETTING is the first menu item:

Menu > AUTOFOCUS SETTING > AF ILLUMINATOR > ON

The other relevant setting is called "SOUND & FLASH OFF" and is also known as "silent mode" and "stealth mode" here on the forum:

Menu > SET UP 1 (wrench 1) > SOUND & FLASH OFF > OFF

It's a confusing option because setting it to "ON" means "disable sound and flash" while "OFF" means "DONT disable sound and flash".

You can also find silent mode much more conveniently in the Q menu, where it's icon is the sound (speaker) and flash (lightning) icons above the word OFF (and next to the word ON or OFF depending on the setting. Confused enough?

So make sue AF ILLUMINATOR is on in the menu, then make sure SOUND & FLASH OFF is OFF in the Q menu and you should be good. 

About the illuminator in general:

I find it really useful in dark situations where the AF just can't do it's job, especially when I'm depending on a flashgun or long exposures, since I can easily illuminate a room with flash that the camera can't even see in. In situations that dark focus peaking won't help you manually focus either, so you have to get more light on your subject or use the illuminator. 

The illuminator has a bad reputation because on earlier (than the X-T10) X cameras the light was right under where you're finger goes while holding the camera, meaning much of the time the effect of enabling it was to make AF WORSE, as the camera was trying to use the light to lock on, but no light was getting through. The solution to this is to know when it's likely to fire (usually only when it's dark enough for you to see the light) and carefully avoid blocking the light and make sure you can see it beaming. 

A similar effect happens with some large lenses, where not enough of the AF light makes it past the lens and it just fails. In those cases you just need to learn which lenses it fails with and/or which parts of the frame it can focus on selectively with that lens. E.g. withe the 16mm f/1.4 mounted on the X-T10 only the top right corner is lit by the AF illuminator. Not at all ideal, but could be used strategically to focus->recompose and get a shot that's decently in focus without spending too much time. 

Good luck!

• Like 1