Noor Dawod

Hacking (and fixing) the flimsy door on the X-T1

Noor Dawod

Hi all.

I signed up to share my hack (and fix) for the flimsy (bulging) door covering the HDMI/USB/Mic connectors on Fujifilm X-T1. It's a hack so be prepared to cut the rubbery plastic. Look at picture #2 to see where to cut the plastic, 1mm should be enough.

It's quite easy really. Pictures follow.

Take couple of 1mm paper clips and straighten them up. These will be carefully bent again and placed inside the door as in the picture. Glue it with a superglue (or some other glue) making sure there's no excess glue popping up. Then, close the flimsy door and hold it against something to cause the glue to harden. Then leave this for few hours (over the night is best).

This works very well for me, and the door is back again to be straight like new. On the outside, obviously, there's nothing apparent.

Hope this helps out someone out there.

--
Noor Dawod
A photographer from Oslo, Norway.
http://noor.dawod.photography

IMG_20150906_022929.jpg

IMG_20150906_022808.jpg

• Like 2

Christopher

Welcome to the community @Noor Dawod!

That's an interesting solution! I've never had any trouble with the X-T1 door myself, but I get the sense that it has been an issue for others. This looks nice and easy.

Noor Dawod

Thanks @Christopher :)

I agree with you; it took me 30 minutes or so to finish what you see, and it's working just fine. This was couple of days ago, the door now is practically like new and the bulging is gone.

I've been reading about this problem for weeks now. My camera had the same problem and I can't say that we have a lot of heat here in Norway, so it must be a manufacturing defect.

Anyway, like I said, hope this helps out someone out there.

--
Noor Dawod
A photographer from Oslo, Norway.
http://noor.dawod.photography

donaldklopper

Won't you be putting strain on the hinges or seal or other plastic parts now? I can't see that you are... good thing is that the paperclips are soft steel so they deform easily if they're under strain.

Franky2step

I am having this same problem where the door does not seal. Spoke with Fuji sales rep and he stated that he had never heard of this being a problem. I referred him to this forum and unbelievably he hadn't ever looked this forum up. That's kind of ridiculous imho, it's your JOB to know what's going on with the products you sell.

• Like 1

Jackthestreet

IMG_3804.thumb.JPG.6ac1b8e7f417ec7e5f7d173d90783bfa.JPGFor those not wanting to mess with glue and sizing paper clips, I managed to pierce the raised rubber supports on the back side of the door with several sewing needles. Next I closed the HDMI door until it snapped into place and then applied heat with a hairdryer pushing the door flat then immediately applying a cold pack to "set" the door's flat shape, not sure if the last part of heating then cooling is necessary but now my door fits snug and flat and if I need to I can stitch something on the fly like MacGuyver when out shooting!

• Like 1

ishrios

I recently sent in my X100F to Fuji for repair. I asked about the XT-1 door and they said that its a free fix so I sent it in.. 

If you guys can spare the downtime its a free fix from Fuji even if you are out of warranty.

• Thanks 1