jezo

Replacement LCD unit for x30

jezo

A month into use managed to break the LCD display. Interestingly, the glass is okay, but the inside is shattered. I'm trying to locate a replacement, but can't. Any ideas where to buy one?

MarcoDebiasi

@jezo, if the camera is still under warranty (at is should be if you purchased it new one month ago), then it is better to let the Fujifilm service in your country do the replacement. Even if you find a spare LCD unit for purchase, trying to replace it yourself may be tricky/risky and certainly would void any existing warranty.

jezo

I haven't got much faith in warranty. First, it was purchased on US Amazon with something saying 'no warranty', secondly, isn't it the kind if damage which points to a user with all certainty, i.e. not the product failure?

MarcoDebiasi

@jezo, it sound strange that a camera purchased from US Amazon does not come with proper US warranty (unless they also do grey-market deals). Most likely the damage in your camera is not going to be covered by the warranty (but there have been cases documented in this forum of Fujifilm being extremely nice by covering also damage, sometimes bad, caused by the owner during the warranty time). In any case, if done by Fujifilm USA this repair as well as other technical problems are going to be covered until the expiry of the warranty. Vice versa, a do-it-yourself repair will void the warranty no matter what. So, if I were in your shoes, I would first check if the camera is covered by warranty as it should be. Then I would contact Fujifilm USA to explain the problem and to check what they can do for you. You do not have much to loose by trying.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 1

jezo

I found this,

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-LCD-Display-Screen-Repair-Part-for-CANON-PowerShot-G12-Digital-Camera-With-Backlight/674299362.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.2.yFEm5r&ws_ab_test=201556_3,201527_2_71_72_73_74_75,0_0

Description says x20, but not x30 and there's nothing yet specific on x30 anywhere. Anyone in the know - is this the same component for x30? I've spoken to fuji repair place in my town, no warranty and looking at the part it does seem to be a plug-in job.

MarcoDebiasi

@jezo, if the LCD you found above is good for the X-20 then it is not the right one for the X-30. Based on the specifications webpages of the X-20 and the X-30 from Fujifilm,  their LCD monitors are as follows:

X-20: 2.8-inch, approx. 460K-dot, TFT color LCD monitor, approx. 100% coverage

X-30: 3.0-inch, aspect ratio 3:2, approx. 920K-dot, Tilt type color LCD monitor (approx. 100% coverage)

So, they are not the same LCD monitor.

• Like 1

Christopher

I've spoken to fuji repair place in my town, no warranty and looking at the part it does seem to be a plug-in job.

I think that's the trouble, even if you were able to find the part, the camera itself is not easily disassembled. On top of that, certain parts are meant to be replaced after disassembly, mainly the faux leather wrap around the camera, which hides many of the screws that hold the body together.

farrell

@jezo, it sound strange that a camera purchased from US Amazon does not come with proper US warranty (unless they also do grey-market deals). Most likely the damage in your camera is not going to be covered by the warranty (but there have been cases documented in this forum of Fujifilm being extremely nice by covering also damage, sometimes bad, caused by the owner during the warranty time). In any case, if done by Fujifilm USA this repair as well as other technical problems are going to be covered until the expiry of the warranty. Vice versa, a do-it-yourself repair will void the warranty no matter what. So, if I were in your shoes, I would first check if the camera is covered by warranty as it should be. Then I would contact Fujifilm USA to explain the problem and to check what they can do for you. You do not have much to loose by trying.

As strange as it may seem, Amazon US sells products from other sellers thru Amazon, even from their same page

that ads show the same product for sale by Amazon, even is Amazon's price is higher! 

I have many years of now-retired experience troubleshooting and repairing fine medical and laboratory equipment.

Anyone who doesn't may not be prepared to replace the display.

Certainly, modern electronic cameras are less likely to spit hidden springs suddenly released by accident, and

sub-assemblies are connected by ribbon connectors, but the display may be part of a ribbon "daisy chain" which

the manufacturer doesn't separate, so that the entire daisy chain must be replaced en bloc.

jezo

I did fix this by myself in the end, finding a dealer in UK, buying the part (this seems to be the X100 unit, if anyone's wondering), moving the part to my country and unassembling the screen, then the unit. It's not the easiest job, but in the end all went well and the camera is back to life with external screen.

• Like 2

MarcoDebiasi

jezo,  glad you were able to do the job and everything went well. I hope that after this repair the camera will work well and you will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.

veejaycee

I did fix this by myself in the end, finding a dealer in UK, buying the part (this seems to be the X100 unit, if anyone's wondering), moving the part to my country and unassembling the screen, then the unit. It's not the easiest job, but in the end all went well and the camera is back to life with external screen.

Well done that man! If I have problems with my Fujis I'll send them to you. :lol: