Christopher

Community Photo Assignment - Lines - October 2015

Christopher

Welcome to the Fuji X Series October 2015 Community Photo Assignment!

The goal of these periodic group photo challenges is to help push each other forward as photographers, to get us outside of our comfort zone with new shooting techniques and ideas. By sharing our work here with the community, we can seek out constructive feedback to help us grow as photographers and give us new perspectives on our work.

Constructive feedback from the community is vital to this process! If you would like to participate in the community photo challenge, post up to 3 of your best assignment related photographs, taken no earlier than today, October 6, 2015, right here in this topic.

This month's assignment is: Lines

Each assignment theme is open to your own personal interpretation as a photographer.

Photo Assignment Rules

1. Photos you share here must be your ownPlease embed them into your post, rather than post a link.
  2. Photos must have been taken using a Fujifilm X Series digital camera. Keep your EXIF data intact when exporting your photos.
  3. Photos must be taken during the month of the photo challenge. Do not post old photos from your library!
  4. Share no more than 3 photographs to this photo assignment. We want to see only your absolute best!
  5. When posting a photo, please briefly explain the camera equipment, settings, technique or story behind shot.
  6. Be receptive to feedback and criticism, it is well intentioned. Everyone has different perspectives that can be helpful to hear, even if we sometimes disagree. What you do with all this feedback is up to you!
  7. Offer constructive feedback to other community members. Share your honest opinions, but stay objective and offer helpful advice. Share any tips or solutions that might help your fellow X Series photographers.

Those who do not share photographs are welcome to participate in the constructive feedback process.

Please have your photographs posted by October 31st, 2015 if you would like to receive feedback from the community. We can always keep the discussion going afterwards though! Feel free to post your favorite line related photos as you take them during the month, or wait until later in the month for your best to become clear. 

Now go out and shoot some photos!

stuarthatto

Taken yesterday afternoon on a photo walk around Basingstoke, UK. The contrast between the straight lines of the paved pattern and the curves of the shadows caught my eye.

I had to convert this to B+W because as you know bricks are - well, brick coloured. It looked pretty boring before the conversion.

Stu

DSCF1181.jpg

• Like 3

stuarthatto

One more from my walk, not sure the tilt works here, but I love the lines and colours of this building - a bank.

DSCF1270.jpg

MarcoDebiasi

In honor of Mr. @MarcoDebiasi 's request for spooky lines, I humbly submit.  :-)  XPro 14mm 3200 ISO heavily drunk.  :-D

010K7713_nx2_110T.jpg

@Poppa-D, thank you for the honor and for breaking the ice! Your image is intriguing, to say the least. It is certainly spooky (which should make @RichardCFrost happy as well, since he originally proposed a SpOoKy theme for October), I can see curved and straight lines in the background, and I really like the color contrast between foreground and background. The real question is: What are we watching? Hopefully the mystery will be soon unveiled.;)

Taken yesterday afternoon on a photo walk around Basingstoke, UK. The contrast between the straight lines of the paved pattern and the curves of the shadows caught my eye.

I had to convert this to B+W because as you know bricks are - well, brick coloured. It looked pretty boring before the conversion.

Stu

DSCF1181.jpg

Fantastic image Stu! Not only it brilliantly and elegantly captures this month's theme, but it also provides an ideal connection between the one of last month and the current one. Truly well done.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 1

stuarthatto

@Poppa-D, thank you for the honor and for breaking the ice! Your image is intriguing, to say the least. It is certainly spooky (which should make @RichardCFrost happy as well, since he originally proposed a SpOoKy theme for October), I can see curved and straight lines in the background, and I really like the color contrast between foreground and background. The real question is: What are we watching? Hopefully the mystery will be soon unveiled.;)

Fantastic image Stu! Not only it brilliantly and elegantly captures this month's theme, but it also provides an ideal connection between the one of last month and the current one. Truly well done.

Thanks Marco! I'm still working on this in post - I wondered if a bit of grain might help it out.

mholtsberg

Hi... here is my first attempt to post to the assignment... Shot this while on th World Wide Photowalk...cropped and converted to BW in LR...

rope-2.jpg

sails.jpg

Edited by mholtsberg
to add second photo
  • Like 1

MarcoDebiasi

Hi... here is my first attempt to post to the assignment... Shot this while on th World Wide Photowalk...cropped and converted to BW in LR...

rope-2.jpg

@mholtsberg, this is a nice picture for this month's assignment. It definitely draws the attention of the eye and keep it meandering around the image. IMO it would have been more pleasant if the center of the knots was itself more at the center of the frame, but may be there was something else below that prevented you to frame it in such a way. In any case, I think that cropping the top of the image to eliminate the background in the corners would improve it both by removing these distractive elements and also by shifting the knots a little more toward the center, as indicated above.

We are not even at the mid of the month and several good entries have been already submitted. I would better stop commenting and try to make some worthy images myself!

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

mholtsberg

Thank you for you input. I will play around with the image. I was unable to maneuver around to get a better angle on this...

MarcoDebiasi

Below is my first contribution to this month's assignment.

DSCF2860e_v1s.thumb.jpg.40f75ddcc6ada484

1.   The image captures some grooved friezes decorating the lobby of the Parkroyal on Pickering Hotel in Singapore. X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/5.6 .

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 3

stuarthatto

Below is my contribution to this month's assignment.

DSCF2860e_v1s.thumb.jpg.40f75ddcc6ada484

The image captures some grooved friezes decorating the lobby of the Parkroyal on Pickering Hotel in Singapore. X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/5.6 .

Very nice, I am intrigued about the colours now :) I assume these are made of plywood giving great interest in those different shaded lines where they are bonded. Like it a lot.

• Like 1

MarcoDebiasi

@stuarthatto, thanks.

I think the decorating friezes of the Parkroyal Hotel are made of concrete and they are painted in different shades of gray (which nicely lent itself to a B&W image). Actually they are quite big as they develop over the height of 2-3 stores. You can find some pictures in the gallery of the hotel toward the end of this webpage.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

Hadakiri
Power lines- A little diffrent approach on the theme hope it qualifies. Walking through the neighboorhood and saw how important and dominant these power lines are to the community.

Fuji X-T1 XF 35mm 1.4  f/16  sec 1 /240  iso 200

21686239583_b033f39340_z.jpg

• Like 1

stuarthatto

I actually like industrial images and pylons are a thing of beauty (in my eyes at least) - but - they weren't around in the 1880's which is the impression I get from the sepia treatment with faded vignette. Maybe make it a more classical B&W without the vignette and lose the toning?

MarcoDebiasi
Power lines- A little different approach on the theme hope it qualifies.

Lines they are indeed and I see no reason for them to not qualify. 

they weren't around in the 1880's which is the impression I get from the sepia treatment with faded vignette. Maybe make it a more classical B&W without the vignette and lose the toning?

+1     That said, this nevertheless is a nice image: simple, clean, apparently static and yet evocative of some action taking place thanks to the white plume of smoke from the city in the background. Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

Hadakiri

Thanks for both of your feedbacks Stuart and Marco. I appreciate and value feedback. I consider myself a new photographer with a lot more learning to do. Love this forum. 

stuarthatto

Thanks for both of your feedbacks Stuart and Marco. I appreciate and value feedback. I consider myself a new photographer with a lot more learning to do. Love this forum. 

Please keep taking industrial photos - industrial architecture is so beautiful in my eyes. Your image was nice, it just felt wrong to me personally how it was toned

Hi, this is my 3rd of three allowed. I was lucky enough to be working in Dubai this week and took this vertorama of the Burj el Khalifa. It was 41 degrees and late afternoon. I travelled light this trip so didnt take my tripod or I would have tried some night photography. But everyone does that...

So I wanted to give a sense of just how much construction work is going on around the Burj, rather than the usual gardens and fountains shots. 

This is 3 images stitched in LR CC with a little detail pulled out of the shadows and a little sharpening. Hope you like it. Trust me I sweated taking it :)

DSCF1314-Pano.jpg

MarcoDebiasi

Fuji XT1  XC 16-50 mm 3.5  f/14 s 1/90 ISO 200

22236957510_30bcd4a13b_z.jpg

Nice composition: vertical, horizontal, diagonal, curved lines and ... the human element!  Given the chance I would have tried to include also the arch top of the of the closer bridge tower, so to avoid braking its curved line and to maintain the symmetry between both towers. Nevertheless it is still a beautiful image. I also like the strong, but not too harsh light and contrast and the overall B&W rendering. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

Hadakiri

Thanks for feedback Marco. Don't realize that I cut off the arch while shooting. Composition is still something I struggle with. Will keep that  advice next time I shoot. 

MarcoDebiasi

Something different.

DSCF1144_2.jpg

And something intriguing. The simple, well composed visual elements and the tonal contrast are effective to catch the attention of a viewer and to keep it meandering around the photo in an attempt to identify the nature of what is captured (I myself have not yet understood what the object(s) under the ribbon are).  I think a smaller aperture would have been beneficial to keep in focus the periphery of the image which is often a problem in macro shots especially if the sensor (film) plane is angled relative to the plane of the subject. But even so, I still find it an attractive image. Thank you for sharing.

Hadakiri

And something intriguing. The simple, well composed visual elements and the tonal contrast are effective to catch the attention of a viewer and to keep it meandering around the photo in an attempt to identify the nature of what is captured (I myself have not yet understood what the object(s) under the ribbon are).  I think a smaller aperture would have been beneficial to keep in focus the periphery of the image which is often a problem in macro shots especially if the sensor (film) plane is angled relative to the plane of the subject. But even so, I still find it an attractive image. Thank you for sharing.

I like this image it's very intriguing and does make you continue to guess the nature of the picture. Just like Marco stated. I wish the edges would of been just as sharp as the center.