Sign in to follow this  
stuarthatto

Returning to Fuji after 35 years

stuarthatto

My first camera was a Fuji STX-1 - not the N variant. It was a beautiful camera to handle, fully manual obviously this being the early 80's and to this day I am certain that my best shots were taken with this camera. The STX-1 taught me so much about composition and exposure and I loved its focussing screen and the light meter needle for exposure. Eventually it died and I never really found anything to replace it.

Since the early 90's I have been a Canon shooter, starting with EOS1000n through to now with my 650D, which I love, but they have never matched in my eyes at least, the image quality from that STX-1.

I took a kind of leap of faith 2 weeks ago and plunged in for a X-T10. After all, it even looks like the STX-1! And retro is important when you get older right :).

I have been getting used to the camera controls and settings, which are very different than Canon of course, and am now taking images that I think are better than anything I have taken with all of my Canons and I am now seeing images with the same colour and sharpness that I used to get in the 80's. This camera is a joy and has rekindled my interests in photography, which have in the last few years been limited to holidays and excursions. Now I go out to make images again.

I am barely scratching the surface of what this camera can achieve and I look forward to going out and using it every single day.

Here is the first image I took, it's been cropped a little, but this is essentially straight from the camera. http://myfuji.s3.amazonaws.com/5a0a300adfc80acf/DSCF1075.jpg Normally I would be shooting RAW, but the JPG images are just so good that I don't think I'll be doing that much longer. The pleasure is in the taking not the post for me.

Anyway, thought I would say hi, and hopefully I can learn from you all.

Stuart

• Like 3

andymcd

I switched to Fuji from Nikon earlier this year. As soon as I picked up the X-E1 (with old manual lenses) it reminded me of my old Olympus OM days.

I started out just shooting JPEGs with Fujis (and I do still really like the JPEGs I get) but have now started shooting RAW+JPEG as there have been a couple of times when I've wished I could change film simulation or otherwise tweak the picture).

I like your example picture - that's a fine looking clock.

stuarthatto

HI Andy, I'll probably move to RAW+JPG as well - but unless I have something I really want to print I think the JPGs are pretty awesome straight from the camera.

The clock is outside the clubroom at Popham Airfield - I thought it was cool - then when I got back home I saw the spider at 1 o'clock, which considering it wasn't my focus point is pretty sharp - blew me away.

Something else that blew me away was the AF-C zone tracking on the X-T10, for example, http://myfuji.s3.amazonaws.com/5a0a300adfc80acf/DSCF1042.JPG which was doing 75mph towards me. I havent seen a Canon that could match this, maybe the 5D3 can.

Love your puddle shot by the way.

Edited by stuarthatto

andymcd

Thanks, the train picture is impressive.

The Fuji X-T10 has improved AF compared to the (original) X-T1 and my X-E2. The X-T1 has had a firmware update that is supposed to make it at least as good as the X-T10. AF speed etc. has been something that the mirrorless cameras have been criticised for but I think things are improving quickly.

Personally, I only have one AF lens currently (18/2) so I am mainly using manual focus but it's good to know that the AF performance is there if I do decide to "invest" more in AF lenses.

RichardCFrost

Welcome Stuart. I love the clock shot too. What lenses are you using with the X-T10? I am loving the 18-55, 55-200 and the 27, but I also have some legacy OM lenses, a 28mm and a 50mm Macro, which are just great on a £10 adaptor.

stuarthatto

Hi Richard - Thanks!. At the moment I only have the 2 kit lenses,16-50 and 50-230, but I want to add a prime fairly quickly, probably the 27, I hadn't considered using adapted lenses yet, but there is no reason I shouldn't take a look given I prefer shooting fully manual.

The clock was taken with the 16-50, as was the train.

Andy, I will say the AF system is possibly the best I have ever used though. I saw the criticisms of the slow AF performance in reviews as well, but wasn't really that bothered as I tend to focus manually, but for some things AF is really useful, motorsport for example. I found it to be very responsive by following Tony Northrup's advice on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI-QwmRrMus around 39 minutes.