Ken L

Am I missing something

I am new here but have a question. I have shot Nikon for several years. I now have a fuji XT 1 with the 18-55 and 18-135. Can you really expect the same focus and sharpness of landscape pictures with the fuji system as we were able to get with the nikon D7100? After a lot of reading and looking at other folks work with the fuji I was convinced I could. I have shot landscape for the last three days in the Smokies and don't have a keeper yet. Am I expecting to much out of it? I hope not caused I really enjoy this camera. Close up shots are great. But any landscape with any depth are not good.  18-24 mm     f14-f18   Shutter varies   On Tripod      Zone focus about third of the way in frame.  This worked with Nikon but working here.  Need help.  Would post some examples but was aggravated and deleted all of them.  Over three hundred.      Thanks     Ken Lutes

Statiscally I would expect a few keepers out of 300.

How do you define close up shots ?

Have you had any good landscape shots using these lenses before this trip?

You might have the camera set to manual and then be depressing the shutter expecting it to provide automatic focus. I'm not entirely sure about the XT1's operation, but you have might need to use the AF-L button on the upper right hand side on the rear of the body. 

On a tripod, did you switch OIS off?

Aperture somewhere between 5.6 and 8?

+1   Switch the OIS off and do not close the aperture beyond f/11. Using f/14-f/18 may work well for 35mm (full-frame) lenses but probably is well within the diffraction trouble-zone of most Fuji lenses. At f/8-f/11 the depth of field of APS-C pictures should be already large enough for most landscape images.

I'm new to the X-t1 and I came from Nikon ( d700). I too got the 18-135 with it but by coincidence the day I was buying the Fuji a guy came in trading his 10-24 Fuji lens in. I grabbed it and have to say - very early on - I'm loving the results of the wide angle gives for landscapes as opposed to the 18-135.

The other small thing for me was the 'automated' package Nikon cameras did as opposed to the X-T1. That is I got a little lazy that once I turned one dial on the Nikon it clicked everything else into place. The X-t1 does that to a certain extent but I'm a lot more hands on with every shot - and I'm loving it. I feel like I've regained some influence and control of the shot instead of the camera deciding for me. This is just my very limited experience.

Edited by Buck777

The 18-135 is fairly good of its type but the fact is this type of lens with a focal range from wide angle to long tele does not give very good quality in terms of detail. The Fuji 18-135mm is weak at distant detail and at tele FLs and edge sharpness is not only lacking but often very uneven. They are fine as a vacation walkaround lens and they are fine if say you enjoy walking and like to take a few photos of the landscape along the way. However, if your purpose for the walk is to take landscape photos then there are better options. The 18-55 is an excellent all rounder and really should not be considered a kit lens but if you want the very best quality then a prime or maybe the 16-55mm f2.8 is the answer. The 10-24mm as mentioned is also excellent but limited to wide angle shooting.

I do not own the Fuji 18-135mm but it seems to receive many complaints and questions in the Fuji forums concerning the points mentioned above.

You don't say whether you shot raw and processed or what software you used. In short there were problems with sharpening fine details such as vegetation/leaves in X trans files using earlier versions of LR and if you are using earlier than vers 6 then I can point you to some sharpening presets that work well (basically low strength high detail). LR 6 seems to have got it right.

Ideally you need to supply some files for evaluation (with exif).

Thanks for all the  replys. See if I can answer some of your questions. 

Close up shots I am referring to under 30 ft.

This is first trip out with new camera other than playing with it in the back yard.

Ois was off when on tripod.

Camera was not on manual.

Shot again today at f8 to f13. Shots were a lot better. Could be the depth of field is not what I am accustom to on Nikon. Seems to be a lot less depth on Fuji or the 18-55 lense. Which is what I shot today. 

I will say I love the feel and controls on this camera. Hope I can figure this issue out.  I totally agree with you Buck777

Veejaycee your description of the 18-135 sounds like what I was seeing. I was shooting JPEG yesterday and today. Just downloaded Elements 14 on laptop for this trip. Having to relearn everything on this trip. Whew. Next trip will bring desk top. LOL.

Files too large to upload.

see if I can work on that

I left my Canon 6D at home and took my XT1 on a Photo Workshop to the Grand Canyon for a few days.  I prefer to portability of the XT1 and I find it performs just as well as my 6D.  There are some things the 6D does a little better and some things the XT1 does better but overall I find both to be amazing cameras that do a great job.  I would not consider one better than the other, they are both excellent.  

After replacing the camera and updating microsoft internet explorer I now have pictures in focus.  Yea happy camper now. The camera swap made some difference and the upgrading of Microsoft Internet explorer made a big difference. Evidently down loading Windows 10 didn't mix to well with photoshop. Who would have thought!

thanks for all your help and suggestions. 

It's beyond me! But it did. I finally noticed or should say paid attention to a popup I kept getting when I opened photoshop.. It was telling me to update due to it might keep some Adobe products from operating properly. Well I just didn't believe that it would have anything to do with photoshop? Guess I am a little slow sometimes. LOL

Glad to hear that you sorted this out. Personally, I use primes (the 14mm is beautiful for  landscapes) and have had excellent results (I also came from a Nikon background, just an enthusiast, not a pro or anything). I know many people swear by the 18-55, I have been underwhelmed by it, in comparison to some of the primes in that range. 

Incidentally, Windows 10 's default jpeg viewer has some issues with displaying picture files, I noticed this myself. It should be noted that the same image in LightRoom or uploaded to Flickr and displayed through non MS browser is absolutely fine.  I presume your IE update may have had something to do with that as well.

All the best !

I must say I've had no problems with Photoshop running in Windows 10 - in fact it's super fast on my new PC.

I've used Firefox ever since it appeared and banished I.E. - it's never been good security wise although I believe MS is generally good that way now.

Edited by veejaycee