Socially Disconnected in a Connected World

Hi all,

So I thought I would share a post that we wrote over the past few days. 

It is a topic we find to be interesting, as such we spent a few weeks capturing moments with the XT1 and 56mm, to represent what prompts our thoughts and discussions.

We hope you find it of interest, or at the very least useful in offering an alternative perspective. 

Apologies in advance for any spelling and punctuation issues :-P

Socially Disconnected in a Connected World

_SGH7379.jpg

Blue and Pace, yours is a nice photographic essay with many beautiful and effective images that convey the alienation induced by mobile communication devices. I do not necessarily agree with all what you write about this phenomenon, but indeed IMO it is a sign of people dehumanization. Sometimes it is just so god to disconnect the gadgets and to connect with the inner-self and the real peoples around you. 

Thank you for you comments. More than anything we created the post it to stimulate a little conversation and maybe provide a break from the fog.  Its wonderful to share thoughts with others and receive feedback.

We hope you have a wonderful evening. :-)

Blu & Pace

A really lovely piece, but I don't know if people engrossed in their phones is any worse than people engrossed in their newspapers.

We completely agree with you on this point.  I guess we feel that technology has got to a point whereby we actually have the opportunity to raise our awareness, to break down barriers rather than construct new ones.

Technology, including the printing press, changes how we understand the world.  When people started writing there own books it was a time of change.  Many pieces of literature challenged the state of rule and opened peoples to new ways of thinking. Over the centuries there have been thousands of book burning events orchestrated in an attempt to suppress information that could lead to human awareness expanding.

The medium may have changed, but we still see significant suppression of thought. (When I say this i refer to a wider global audience and not any particular country).  This suppression is through many means, distraction and information overload being just a couple.

As thinking individuals we can choose what information we digest, this may be positive or negative food for our minds.  Our thoughts lead us to our action and stimulate our emotions, so it becomes a significant choice that we can in someway control.

:-)

Have a great day, and thank you for your feedback and thoughts.

Great topic and wonderful photo essay. Really enjoy your pics. I am one of the guys with a hate/love relationship with the technology . You can trust  all the informations ,yet you still find yourself reading it o stay connected .

Thanks for sharing

Thank you Tony,

Its difficult to try and find the correct balance. It seems like when access to technology is not available, we have so much more time spare though. :-)

Have a great day...

I to did a series like this in film though where I followed some of our local street performers. They do some amazing stuff but what I found even more interesting was all of the people who were to busy to stop and watch or to consumed with their mobile devices to look up. You miss out on quite a bit when you can't put down your phone for five seconds! 

I to did a series like this in film though where I followed some of our local street performers. They do some amazing stuff but what I found even more interesting was all of the people who were to busy to stop and watch or to consumed with their mobile devices to look up. You miss out on quite a bit when you can't put down your phone for five seconds! 

We also find it so interesting, how it begins to effect us on a psychological level.  The amount of meals we go to with friends, where everybody has there phone on the table... ??? its become a norm... :-)