bnvis

Long Exposure and Force Flash settings

bnvis

I seem to be unable to select a shutter speed below 1/4 of a second on my X30. Now, before you point me to previous threads, I've been reading these on this forum before joining. The frustrating thing is, that despite using M or S settings on the dial, and fixing ISO at 100, and trying various apertures, it is still not possible to go beyond 1/4 of a second, while the manual, as many of you know suggests shutter speeds all the way up to 30 seconds.

Similarly, I've only been able to use my flash (manually popped up with the latch) once in a pre-programmed setting. However, I cannot figure out any setting combinations going through the various options on the dial, etc. that will make the flash actually flash when popped up.

So, inevitably on both counts my question is, which settings and restrictions exactly do I need to use or obey in order to take long exposure photographs and use force flash on the X30?

Please forgive my ignorance. This is my first manual camera and I may be missing very obvious things!

Straggler

I suspect your 1/4 seconds is actually 4 seconds.  But limitations in shutter speeds seems to relate to the use of Auto settings.  So, no Auto ISO and no Auto DR.  30 seconds seems (on my X10) to be achievable only at 100 ISO.

bnvis

Thanks, straggler. Unfortunately, this is on manual or shutter priority settings and fixing both ISO and DR on 100, which is why previous threads on this topic haven't helped me. It seems to me there must be further setting options I'm overlooking. I'm quite sure that my 4 ss setting must be 1/4th of a second because it takes still less than a second to take a picture. Other threads have suggested this is normal in various settings, but should give way to shutter speeds up to 30 seconds if ISO and DR are fixed at 100, which unfortunately seems not to work on my camera. Any other suggestions?

veejaycee

I seem to be unable to select a shutter speed below 1/4 of a second on my X30. Now, before you point me to previous threads, I've been reading these on this forum before joining. The frustrating thing is, that despite using M or S settings on the dial, and fixing ISO at 100, and trying various apertures, it is still not possible to go beyond 1/4 of a second, while the manual, as many of you know suggests shutter speeds all the way up to 30 seconds.

Similarly, I've only been able to use my flash (manually popped up with the latch) once in a pre-programmed setting. However, I cannot figure out any setting combinations going through the various options on the dial, etc. that will make the flash actually flash when popped up.

So, inevitably on both counts my question is, which settings and restrictions exactly do I need to use or obey in order to take long exposure photographs and use force flash on the X30?

Please forgive my ignorance. This is my first manual camera and I may be missing very obvious things!

You must set ISO to 100 fixed to use that long a shutter speed.

Explained more fully on this forum here: http://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/7788-how-to-set-shutter-for-30-sec/

Also I assume you have not got "silent mode" enabled which will kill the flash.

Edited by veejaycee

bnvis

Thanks for your suggestion Veejaycee, but as I said before, I followed these instructions to the letter and still I cannot go further than 1/4th of a second on shutter speed. This is in S mode, with ISO 100 and DR 100, which is why I'm convinced I must be missing something else as it works for others.

Silent mode is also off, but that doesn't seem to affect the working of the flash (which just never seems to work manually).

Hope somebody has an alternative suggestion?

veejaycee

Have you tried a full reset to factory defaults? I think this may turn silent mode on so you need to recheck that but you may then be able to get your long shutter speed and go through the menus re-enabling whatever you had before while checking if the long exposure still works.

Another suggestion - contact Fujifilm on twitter (several different global and national accounts so do a search and also the Fuji guys on Twitter. You will often get a quick reply and I expect your question has been asked before. I don't do Facebook but the same probably applies there.

veejaycee

Just a thought - you don't have bracketing selected do you - that would prevent both flash and long exposure.

bnvis

I haven't tried a full reset yet (sort of reluctant to do this, although I don't think there's so much I've added that I would lose, bar a few basic preferential settings), but how can I check it is 'bracketing'? I guess it's not, as I don't know this, but would be good to ensure.

bnvis

I owe you a big THANK YOU, Veejaycee. It was the driver setting. So, I wasn't using bracketing, but I was using a medium continuous shooting setting. Changing it to single shot mode is clearly the obvious setting I was missing! This also (logically) enables me to use the flash when I want to.

If you'll allow me an off-topic question given that you're clearly very perceptive: macro-photos should be possible up to about 1cm away from the object, but I find it impossible to focus on anything at this distance when Macro or Super-Macro is enabled in M (manual) mode. Again, I'm certain there must be setting restrictions I'm simply unaware of.

Thanks again

veejaycee

I owe you a big THANK YOU, Veejaycee. It was the driver setting. So, I wasn't using bracketing, but I was using a medium continuous shooting setting. Changing it to single shot mode is clearly the obvious setting I was missing! This also (logically) enables me to use the flash when I want to.

If you'll allow me an off-topic question given that you're clearly very perceptive: macro-photos should be possible up to about 1cm away from the object, but I find it impossible to focus on anything at this distance when Macro or Super-Macro is enabled in M (manual) mode. Again, I'm certain there must be setting restrictions I'm simply unaware of.

Thanks again

I'm not an X30 user but I think the super macro is likely to be enabled only at wide angle setting.

You'd probably be better off starting a separate thread for this question as it is more likely to be seen and answered and will also be more easily searched in the future.