Helios

Fuji X30 in Provence..

Helios

Hello..

Happy owner of a Fuji X20 last year..i made the switch to the X30 main reason for its EVF 100% (i could say a very nice tool after 6 months of use..) and as well the switchable LCD (very usefull in certain contexts) and so far my enthusiasm is still there for this very nice expert compact serie.. 

I did personally notice a few change from the X20 in image settings..the native colors are a little bit different (maybe less saturation, a different default white balance and a light gain in sharpness..) still the X30 shooting experience is quite close to its grand brother..but with a few welcome improvements that make my photos sessions more efficient..

My only critic could concern the AF (very quick the most of the time) but who is not totally trustable in landscape session (sometimes it could be difficult to find the point on delicate contrast scenes..light skies for example) you need to find creative and quick solutions to bypass the lack of point..and find your happiness "around" the subject you want to shoot.. but nothing discouraging at least for me..

I live in Provence, i could say a nice place to try to improve your skills in photography..here's a few pictures made with the black box, hope you' ll enjoy..

Cordially,

Helios.

Chateau-vignes.jpgFlower-champ.jpgarnar-shop.jpgchateau-sunset.jpgOlives-aups1.jpgLight-landscape3.jpgchateau-aups1.jpg

Edited by Helios
  • Like 2

Christopher

These are wonderful @Helios! I love the colors and toning, it looks like a lovely time of year.

• Like 2

Helios

Thank you very much for your nice comment Christopher..it is actually, a very cool & sunny weather here, and the nature comes slowly to autumn colors..in Provence often, time could seems more elastic and relaxed, and quite protected in a way from the bustle of the world..once you've tasted it, it's difficult to go back..

Best regards,

Helios

Edited by Helios

MarcoDebiasi

Helios, I am glad to hear you are enjoying your X-30 and thank you for sharing your nice pictures of beautiful Provence. They make me nostalgic of Europe. I really wish I could be there and breathe some cool, fresh air rather than the always muggy and now also hazy air of Singapore.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 2

Helios

Hello Marco..

Thanks for your message & comment..Singapore is a quite urban and buzzing area, it must be an interesting place to see (infortunately big town like this it goes as well with pollution problems) , i guess that personal or professional matters must hold you there..

If those pictures can help to motivate a kind of "green air trip" to Europe..it will be a useful sharing, just one of the beautiful & precious gift of photography..

Best regards,

Helios

• Like 1

Helios

Hello..

A few more shots from Provence with the X30, hope you'll enjoy..

Regards & best fun with your gear,

Hélios

tree-morning.jpg

tree-fairy.jpg

cotignac-rock.jpg

shady1

• Like 2

robthebruce

Helios, love the photos as well.

Can you tell us about the stone enclosed cave of the picture above? Was it used by shepherds or a hermit?

Rob

• Like 1

Helios

Hello Rob and thanks for your comment..

Concerning the rock, it's an ancient petrified waterfall who became the focus of construction of the village named Cotignac..
these houses built in the rock served as shelter at the time to protect people and animals from attacks, to store food..

Cotignac is a wonderful old village, the kind who can still keep this fragile balance between nature and culture..

a beautiful day to you (and your gear..)

Regards,

Helios

Helios

Hello..

To continue the X30 Provence Serie..really enjoying my photographic compagnon and still learning, hope you'll enjoy the shots..

Regards,

Helios

field.jpg

platanes1.jpg

Banc.jpg

cotignac-rock.jpg

• Like 2

veejaycee

Another set of excellent pictures showing what a good photographer can do with a small camera.

Their are many of those Troglodyte dwellings in the hilly areas of France. Certainly the Dordogne has many similar dwellings along with extensive cave systems with extremely ancient cave drawings/murals intact.

• Like 1

robthebruce

They get better . . . I am not a little jealous of the atmospheric subject matter and the location. 

• Like 1

Helios

Thank you very much Veejaycee & Robthebruce for your nice comments..

There is actually a certain amount of houses built in the rocks in France..souvenirs from ancient times, when the human societies had a kind of strong and close relationship with stones, still now, you can still feel this special and intense vibration that is certainly for me a part of the aesthetics.

Concerning the location Rob..to me, Provence is one of the nicest place to go (and to live..) you'll be welcome to pass by :)..

For the X30, I must probably be one of the few supporter of this X-Trans II 2/3 sensor..after a few tests and comparative and exception for the dynamic (that sometimes could be difficult to figure out..) the resolution, chromatisme and quality of this sensor never cease to amaze me..

Iridient Developper (Mac only unfortunately..) has brought a quite consistent step in resolution and sharpness with this sensor..but just a pity that actually the color settings section doesn't really follow (quite hard to balance with Fuji sensors on this app..)

Sweet day and best fun with your Fuji..

Helios

Hello..

Some new shots with the X30..the two first & the last one taken this morning from a kind of "eagle landmark"..the third one from the village of Tourtour in Provence (they often call this place "The village in the clouds"..) hope you'll enjoy..the X30 is still a very nice & trustful compagnon (my only photographic gear now by the way..). 

Sweet day and best fun with your Fuji..

Regards,

Helios

morning-bird.jpg

blue-morning.jpg

big sky.jpg

three-birds.jpg

• Like 1

Christopher

Beautiful skies, I love the light this time of year. That is quite an incredible vantage point! 

Do you find yourself ever utilizing the RAW processor in the X30 and the WIFI transfer function now that the X30 is your only camera these days? I've been starting to embrace JPGs more to try to escape the burden of post processing.

• Like 1

Helios

Hello Christopher..

Thanks for your positive return..as you've said, it's a pretty nice spot for making pictures (Cotignac 83)..everyday, the sky and lights are playing with unique tones of colors, from which i'm one of the best contemplative fan..but i'm still amaze as well by my little X30 doing its best to witness that..

I don't actually use the internal RAW processor of the X30, neither its JPG engine..the default JPG noise reduction processing being a littlebit too strong for my taste, with no real possibility to modify the settings..until a few weeks ago, i was still using the original RAW Converter EX (iridient Developer as well but not really convinced by its color options), then i've heard that a new version of Silkypix has been released (Silkypix Studio Pro 7), so I went for a try..and i think this one is the good one for me: many more options, in particular for the noise reduction, color balance & sharpness..nice ergonomy, and a definitely better step in photographic rendering..therefore, I would gladly advise it to anyone who wishes to take out the best of their RAF files.. 

Regards,

Helios

• Like 1

Helios

Thank you Veejaycee for your nice comment..the beautiful nature here is a good helper..