Christopher

Community Photo Assignment - Reflection - November 2015

Welcome to the Fuji X Series November 2015 Community Photo Assignment!

The goal of these periodic group photo challenges is to help push each other forward as photographers, to get us outside of our comfort zone with new shooting techniques and ideas. By sharing our work here with the community, we can seek out constructive feedback to help us grow as photographers and give us new perspectives on our work.

Constructive feedback from the community is vital to this process! If you would like to participate in the community photo challenge, post up to 3 of your best assignment related photographs, taken no earlier than today, November 1, 2015, right here in this topic.

This month's assignment is: Reflection

Each assignment theme is open to your own personal interpretation as a photographer.

Photo Assignment Rules

1. Photos you share here must be your ownPlease embed them into your post, rather than post a link.
  2. Photos must have been taken using a Fujifilm X Series digital camera. Keep your EXIF data intact when exporting your photos.
  3. Photos must be taken during the month of the photo challenge. Do not post old photos from your library!
  4. Share no more than 3 photographs to this photo assignment. We want to see only your absolute best!
  5. When posting a photo, please briefly explain the camera equipment, settings, technique or story behind shot.
  6. Be receptive to feedback and criticism, it is well intentioned. Everyone has different perspectives that can be helpful to hear, even if we sometimes disagree. What you do with all this feedback is up to you!
  7. Offer constructive feedback to other community members. Share your honest opinions, but stay objective and offer helpful advice. Share any tips or solutions that might help your fellow X Series photographers.

Those who do not share photographs are welcome to participate in the constructive feedback process.

Please have your photographs posted by November 30th, 2015 if you would like to receive feedback from the community. We can always keep the discussion going afterwards though! Feel free to post your favorite line related photos as you take them during the month, or wait until later in the month for your best to become clear. 

Now go out and shoot some photos!

• Like 2

Me first again - the subject could be taken a number of ways of course, but here is my first go. Taken yesterday evening at Brussels airport waiting for my flight. X-T10, ISO 800, 1/5s f5.6 XC16-50 OIS II

I just snapped it off because I saw this guy with 2 smartphones reflected in the window - thought it looked kind of funky. Its not my best effort and because it was kind of candid did need a little work in Lightroom.

Stu

DSCF1335.jpg

• Like 1

Alrighty so I was prompted by a couple other users to submit this image, so here it is...

When I set out to take it I was actually hoping for some calm steady water so I could get some nice reflections of the fall trees. But I think the abstract feel of the water makes the image feel some what serreal. 

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujinon 18-135mm f3.5-5.6

image.jpg

• Like 2

Bert, this is a pleasant picture that well interprets this month's assignment. Being in the Netherlands (or in Venice) should provide great opportunities for capturing interesting water reflections in canals. One favorite picture of mine is a reflection from a canal which I made in Delft more than two years ago and thus I can not post in this topic.

At any rate, I hope to see more from you before the end of this month.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

Here's one for reflection

R00046

#2 for reflection

R00043

I really enjoyed the second photo. As for the first one, the structure grabs my attention and the sky is beautiful but for me I would like to see some more detail in the shadows. Maybe bring up the shadows some. Or if you don't want to loose that nice sky try a little dodging both the structure as well as the reflection. 

That secondimage though is beautifully exposed an the focus is spot on. 

That is just my thoughts on it though. Either way they are both wonderful images.

Leiden, the Netherlands

reflect3.jpg

At first this image almost came off as a painting to me. I was unsure if I liked the fact that it was left upside down but after looking at it for a while I started to see the abstract beauty behind it. The fact that you left the image upside down and did not include any of the actual scene other then the reflection was a very artsy approach to the assignment while at the same time being straight forward and to the point. Well done, it's a very captivating image.

Me first again - the subject could be taken a number of ways of course, but here is my first go. Taken yesterday evening at Brussels airport waiting for my flight. X-T10, ISO 800, 1/5s f5.6 XC16-50 OIS II

I just snapped it off because I saw this guy with 2 smartphones reflected in the window - thought it looked kind of funky. Its not my best effort and because it was kind of candid did need a little work in Lightroom.

Stu

DSCF1335.jpg

I love the human element in this image. I felt like the different light sources were a bit distracting at first but noticed that it did help set the scene both inside and out. The only thing that I would suggest is possibly a higher ISO so you don't have to use such a long shutter speed. You can see where the man in the booth had moved his head creating a bit of movement blur. Other then that it's an intriguing photo and leaves you wondering more about the story.

• Like 2

Dronten, the Netherlands

Upper floor of an agricultural college. Building has walls and roof of glass plates like a greenhouse.

X-T1, 18mm/2  ISO 1600 1/180 f/7.1   Nov 8th,

reflectie1.jpg

Edited by BertH
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed the second photo. As for the first one, the structure grabs my attention and the sky is beautiful but for me I would like to see some more detail in the shadows. Maybe bring up the shadows some. Or if you don't want to loose that nice sky try a little dodging both the structure as well as the reflection. 

Interestingly, I thought the same thing until I tried it. When I brought the shadows up a bit I found it became a bit muddy looking for my tastes, so I found it preferable to leave it a bit darker. I did adjust the color in the shadows a bit - it was even bluer, perhaps it needs even a bit more.

Ok I'm sorry but this forum is amazing! It just merged all of my responses! Come on fujixseries.com that's just bloody amazing! 

lol…  it did that to me too. I was intending to make my photos 2 posts just because it seemed like it might make for easier viewing, but it automatically recombined them.

• Like 1

The assignment of this month makes me somewhat struggle in finding subjects that work. Anyway, with some search and effort I managed to make my first contribution below.

DSCF3082e_v1s.thumb.jpg.89c854b3d8264dec

1.   Tree branches reflected on the windshield of a minivan. X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-1250 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 39mm f/5.6 .

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 2

DSCF3082e_v1s.thumb.jpg.89c854b3d8264dec

Very nice composition. I think the framing o the subject within the windshield is what makes it such a strong image. The crop is nice as well. Bring the focus to the reflection rather then distracting the viewer with the rest of the vehicle. 

Scott, thanks for your nice comment and feedback. Actually the focus is on the reflected branches but, interestingly, these look less sharp then what they are because they consist of a double reflection: one (stronger) from the outer surface of the windshield and another (weaker) from the inner surface.

• Like 1

Below is my second contribution to this month's assignment.

DSCF3063BWe_v1s.thumb.jpg.b9d0f2b8b26fab

2.   Tree reflected in the water of a lake. X-E2 at 1/2000s ISO-1600 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/5.6 .

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 1

And here comes my third, and last minute, contribution to this month's assignment.

DSCF3162e_v1crops.thumb.jpg.779f5e603169

3.   Reflections of a glass structure over a pool. X-E2 at 1/500s ISO-1250 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/8 .

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 2