franco

More than 16mp?

This may be nothing, but....

Fujifilm Global released a couple of films in the last couple of days :https://youtu.be/IxQZDmJyuG8

:https://youtu.be/RQnOHDRyfck

All well and good. But both interviewees allude to 16mp being 'more than enough'. This seems an odd statement (being so close to an announcement in the New Year), as I think we were all under the impression the next batch of X-Series would be up to 24mp. Could this possibly be a sweetener alluding to another - albeit improved - 16mp sensor? I find this odd....if it was the case, upselling any current X shooters to the new generation could be tough.

I include me in that. I'm fine with 16mp, true enough - but spending a £1500 + on a new body with the same resolution is probably something I wont go for, even with improvements to focus speed etc.

I could be barking up the wrong tree. In fact, I hope I am - but I found the topic of discussing how good a 16mp sensor is - so close to a possible release date of a flagship camera - kind of unusual. Thoughts?

I am authorized to only speak for me.  I can tell you from my experience 16mp is more than "enough."  I would rather see a sensor redesign if anything.   Something more akin to the type of sensor technology that Red Cinema cameras use.   Even still I have never believed that increasing pixels results in better pictures or a more satisfying experience.   

• Like 1

Yeah - I am in the same boat.  Personally, I'd much rather see a larger sensor and the same MP than more MP on the same sized sensor.  I have 3 X cameras, the X10 being one of them.  Lovely little camera whose achilles heel is the small sensor.  I'm good with16MP; bring in the big dogs . . . er, sensors.  :D

• Like 1

Yeah - I am in the same boat.  Personally, I'd much rather see a larger sensor and the same MP than more MP on the same sized sensor.  I have 3 X cameras, the X10 being one of them.  Lovely little camera whose achilles heel is the small sensor.  I'm good with16MP; bring in the big dogs . . . er, sensors.  :D

I think Sony is where you need to look. Fuji lenses won't cover a FF sensor - if there was an intermediate size sensor which could use the current lenses then I'm in agreement that there would be greater scope for improvement in IQ and light gathering. An improved sensor is always welcome whether or not that involves more MP. 16MP is enough for me since I rarely print my images now so for me more MP would allow more cropping is all.

As a factor in selling more cameras MPs is a biggie even in MILC land and is pretty much a must do for the hoped for XP2 along with improvements to the AF and sundry other wants from a long list otherwise I think there will be lot of unhappy Fuji users -  i could live with it though.

• Like 1

No offence taken @Dmitry ! :-) Its a forum, say what you want! 

And I think quite a few people would agree with you too!

Thanks Franco! It's just that I am also a member of another forum where one is not encouraged to critique Fuji :)

• Like 1