jezo

x30 flash button non-responsive

jezo

Happens again now - an element of the camera is refusing to be managed in full  manual mode. Was ISO a while ago, now the flash - the button next to Menu one is not doing anything, with or without flash unit popped out. Accessing flash options via Menu shows Flash greyed-out, although Compensation graph is still active. What is it with this camera and why does it lock itself out of some options?

veejaycee

Silent mode should be OFF. Bracketing OFF, Drive mode - single shot not burst. Shutter MS only - not ES or MS/ES (if you have that on X30).

Edited by veejaycee

jezo

A-ha. Silent mode was the culprit. Thank you. Now, what is the logic of disabling flash in silent mode?

veejaycee

A-ha. Silent mode was the culprit. Thank you. Now, what is the logic of disabling flash in silent mode?

It should be called stealth mode. It also cancels all camera sounds. It is renamed in later X models and in updated FW. You should also have the option of turning the volume down or off separately and doing this would leave you able to use the flash without clicks or beeps.

There are several modes in the X30 that disable certain functions mainly regarding ISO and dynamic range as they are linked and also whether you are shooting jpg or raw.

I don't own the X10/20/30 series but the guys here that do own it know their stuff and are always willing to help.

RichardCFrost

It really means 'Unobtrusive Mode'. There's little point muting all the sounds to avoid being noticed if a flash is going off all the time. In all the time I had my X10, I used flash maybe twice. I have yet to use flash on my X-T10. But then I don't really get invited to many parties!

• Like 1

veejaycee

But then I don't really get invited to many parties!

Awww. Nor do I - I'm told it's because of my "dad dancing". They don't recognise a great Travolta strut when they see it.

• Like 1

jezo

Another function which disables flash is supermacro as I just found out. There is little need for any kind of flash when the camera is so close for subject, but I object to the philosophy itself - full manual mode means full manual with no implied restrictions. Besides, firing flash means conscious decision of deploying one anyway....

veejaycee

Actually your premise that flash is no good for macro is incorrect. Proximity of subject does not increase the amount of or the transmission of light. The reason the X30 flash cannot be used is due to the position of it where the lens itself will shadow the subject at macro distances. Flash is commonly used to freeze movement in macro subjects where every movement is magnified as much as the subject is but it is best used either camera or a ringflash may be fitted around the edge of the lens providing very even illumination. Personally I prefer off camera flash so the strength may be varied for slightly one-sided lighting to give some modelling to the subject. Recently several LED ringflashes have appeared on the market. They are cheap and may be used in constant light mode for focus (and taking if preferred) and it is also possible to adjust the light for a one sided bias. If you're not a regular macro photographer (or even if you are), they look a good bet.

jezo

and so you wouldn't be able to use any flash, internal or mounted or off-camera via hotshoe, in the super macro mode on the x30?

veejaycee

If you have a synch port you can use that for flash (i don't have X30). Or you can get flash triggers - See this thread to see them in use - http://www.fujixseries.com/forums/topic/9123-fashion-shoot-with-fuji/#comment-95807.

You can use a shoe mounted flash as commander to control off camera flash remotely. I don't know if the built-in flash can be used as commander - maybe but not in macro mode.

I have some old optical flash sensors which may still be available.

You can also fit a flash cable into the hot shoe with flash on the other end which is what I do for macro. Cheap Canon and Nikon knock offs are available on ebay/amazon and they, along with triggers are the most used. The cable method is cheapest and simplest for single off camera flash but hopefully someone else can confirm the canikon cables for your x30 camera.