andy.fpp

Viewing Modes and ISO

andy.fpp

Hi all

Newbie here so please be gentle.

Just bought an X100T and going through the set up process.

Trying to set it up so all that appears on the LCD is the menus and the image just taken (for chimping) and not Live View.

I don't want the menus appearing in the viewfinder.

Is this not possible? doing a quick search it appears it was on the X100S but not the T.

Another question while I'm at it, is it not possible to set ISO to 100? (I have 'image size' set to L 3:2 and 'image quality' set to Fine).

I know I should read the manual but I'm really not good with those things and thought I'd get far more sensible answers on here.

Thanks in advance

Andy

veejaycee

Base ISO is 200 for the sensor fitted to Fuji X cameras, you can set ISO to 100 in the menus but you will lose a little dynamic range by doing so and gain nothing in terms of Image quality.

As regards the other questions - I don't own the X100T but I do keep the manual saved on my PC to help out with tricky problems but this is basic setup and while I could read the relevant pages, if you can't be bothered then nor can I.

That's as gentle as I can be. :P

andy.fpp

Base ISO is 200 for the sensor fitted to Fuji X cameras, you can set ISO to 100 in the menus but you will lose a little dynamic range by doing so and gain nothing in terms of Image quality.

As regards the other questions - I don't own the X100T but I do keep the manual saved on my PC to help out with tricky problems but this is basic setup and while I could read the relevant pages, if you can't be bothered then nor can I.

That's as gentle as I can be. :P

Thank you Veejaycee for your gentle words.

When I said I hadn't read the manual I meant I hadn't read all 291 pages of it. Obviously I read page 20. I was just hoping that someone who owns and has with experience of this model may know a workaround.

regards

Andy

jeremyclarke

I've never heard of any of the Fuji X cameras supporting the following feature: Ghettoizing menus to the LCD while using EVF to shoot. In all cases the cameras are either working in LCD mode or EVF mode and everything happens on the same screen. If you have it on "Eye sensor" then the active screen depends on the sensor, otherwise it's based on what you set. 

New EVF users often want to replicate their chimping behavior and review images on the LCD, but it's not a rational desire, it's just based on your years of victimization at the hands of DSLRs that were incapable of allowing image review on the OVF for obvious reasons. Once you have the ability to review images without removing the camera from your eye (losing your composition, breaking your flow) it's pretty much always better to do so. 

I suspect you misread whatever you were reading about the X100S though I never used one so I'm not sure. Either way my genuine advice is to get used to reviewing images in the EVF and get over your addiction to chimping, you'll like it better just give it time :P

The alternative is to turn off image review entirely and use the play button to trigger review only when you want it (e.g. when you are looking at the LCD). 

FWIW try playing with the amount of time the review lasts in the LCD. I find the shortest period is best and the least disruptive (in case that's why you wanted image review on the LCD). 

Edited by jeremyclarke
  • Like 1

jeremyclarke

http://www.fujixseries.com/profile/45794-jeremyclarke/

Thank you for the extensive reply. 'years of victimisation at the hands of DSLRs' wow, perhaps I need therapy ;-)

I will try it out for a few weeks and hope I can shake off my SLR and DSLR ways.

Ha ha :)

If you want to simulate an SLR turn off image review entirely and never use the play button :P