Janeames1

Fuji apsc choice of camera for hiking

Hi, I am about to purchase a camera for backpacking.  I want the highest IQ I can get without breaking my back.  I like the Ricoh II with the Apsc lens very much but want something more versatile.  (it's a fixed 28 mm lens)  I am looking at the Fuji's.   However, I am extremely puzzled by the apsc options, and the differences between them.

I am looking at the Fuji x Pro 1, xe-2 and X-A2.  Which of these would be the lightest and what lens would you carry with to backpacking with.  Ideally I would like a pancake zoom  lens, but it seems that Fuji doesn't have one?  Perhaps someone with backpacking, landscape experience would jump and let me know their experience.  

Lightest would be a pure weight thing, honestly as far as the bodies go.

Beyond that, what body style preference are you liking more?  Pseudo DSLR or Pseudo rangefinder?  Do you need an EVF or not?

Any one of those three cameras are going to produce on the IQ...that is one thing you need not worry about on the Fuji cameras.

Then - do you need interchangeable lenses?  If so, zoom or prime?  If weight is an issue, there are plenty of small primes.   You could also get away with the 16-50 zoom if you don't need fast glass.  (I'm assuming somethings, hiking generally means landscapes, which means running f/5.6-f/11 being the most common aperture.

You also have the X100 series to consider as well.

Basically, it is a pretty easy decision.  List out your requirements and choose accordingly.

Hi.  I have 3 Fuji X cameras - XPro, X100S, and X10.  I always struggle when assembling my travel photo kit to balance weight and having the right tools for the job.  A year or so ago I did a 100 mile backpacking trip in Washington and weight was DEFINITELY a concern.  Others may disagree with me here, but the only camera I brough was my X10 and honestly I have no regrets.  I didn't even bring a tripod - would just set the camera on rocks or whatever.

When all was said and done, I REALLY liked having the ability to zoom and even though the X10 sensor is pretty small, I was very happy with the images I brought home from that trip.  Zooming really made a big difference for me on that trip.

By contrast, last year I spent time in Iceland and only had my X100S.  I loved the freedom I had with a fixed focal length and the images were higher quality than the X10 but I certainly remember a lot of times I wished I could have zoomed but still was stoked with the images when I got home.  A day or so with ONLY the fixed focal length and you will start "seeing" in that focal length when scouting photo ops.

From your list - The XA2 lacks a viewfinder but is the smallest and lightest and has a bayer sensor. The X-Pro1 is heavier than the others and although I love mine, it is not the best choice if you have to carry it far. The X-E2 is in the middle but still lightweight and compact and has the best AF.

For zoom lenses you have a choice. Fuji 18-135mm OIS covers everything but is big, heavy-ish, most expensive and doesn't have quite the image quality of the 18-55mm OIS which is more compact, lighter and an excellent performer and available at very reasonable prices (espec used). Last but by no means least is the 16-50nmm XC lens. It has a slower max aperture than the 18-55mm but it too has OIS. It is the lightest of the and you may appreciate the extra 2mm at the wide end for landscapes. This lens is available for about £100 used. My preference is for the 18-55 XF but I've used the 16-50 XC and it's good. So, if you're happy using the LCD only the XA2 + 16-50mm will balance well as the lightest setup or for an X trans sensor at not much more size/weight the XE2 + 16-50/18-55.

If you want X trans sensor in XA1 style (LCD only) then the XM1 is the same size and weight with X trans sensor.

If it was me I would take XE1 and 18-55 XF.

2nd choice XM1 + 16-50mm XC but then I dislike using LCDs.

I would go with the X100 plus WCL. I've never been one who feels the need to have a telephoto lens to zoom in on distant objects though.

The X100 gives you a small package with excellent image quality you get all three viewfinder options (OVF, EVF and LCD) you have a physically small package that will fit inside a coat pocket or can easily be carried in a small pouch on a pack shoulder strap and you do not have to worry out issues with dirt and dust getting into the camera while changing lenses. The WCL is also lighter that a typical wide angle lens but does just give a little extra width for large vistas.

The X100 is not weatherproof but can easily be protected using simple plastic bags if required.

I probably would not bother with the TCL for hiking.

My opinion is that the x100 is nice, and can fill a certain need. I have one but what I discovered was that there were times I needed something closer than 23mm on my hikes (of course, this differs from person to person).

I would consider an X-A* (or even an X-pro, heavier, its a bargain now that the 2 is going to be out) and a couple of primes for highest IQ (if you have room) or the 18-55 zoom (if you prefer the zoom). These IMO will give you the best IQ.

Personally, I have carried  an X-E1 and 2-3 primes  in the past. 

All the best with your decision, please do share what you decided to go with eventually. You may find a much more creative option which may help others too.

I've used both the X100 and X-E1 with the kit 18-55 zoom for hiking. My preference is now definitely for the X-E1 with the zoom for the ability at 18 mm and then at 55 mm to pick up the 10-15% of pictures where having such a lens is handy. I find the 55 mm length particularly helpful for picking out the scenic item of interest and focusing on it. The weight is not too bad to manage. And you can do panoramas at any focal length of the zoom. The X100 however, does have the ability to do panoramas as well and as has been noted above, you adjust within a very short period of using a camera with a fixed lens to 'seeing' the scene within the framework of the 23 mm lens on the X100.

I have also found the occasional use of the 14mm on the X-E1 when hiking very good. For example, when walking in Tasmania last year I used the kit zoom and 14 mm as a combo with good results. See here.

Edited by robthebruce

Either the X100T/S would be excellent for walking, good for weight excellent IQ. Whilst I have the XT-1 & X-Pro I would still take one of the X100 series for travelling.