Christopher

Community Photo Assignment - Green - December 2015

Welcome to the Fuji X Series December 2015 Community Photo Assignment!

The goal of these periodic group photo challenges is to help push each other forward as photographers, to get us outside of our comfort zone with new shooting techniques and ideas. By sharing our work here with the community, we can seek out constructive feedback to help us grow as photographers and give us new perspectives on our work.

Constructive feedback from the community is vital to this process! If you would like to participate in the community photo challenge, post up to 3 of your best assignment related photographs, taken no earlier than today, December 3, 2015, right here in this topic.

This month's assignment is: Green

Each assignment theme is open to your own personal interpretation as a photographer.

Photo Assignment Rules

1. Photos you share here must be your ownPlease embed them into your post, rather than post a link.
  2. Photos must have been taken using a Fujifilm X Series digital camera. Keep your EXIF data intact when exporting your photos.
  3. Photos must be taken during the month of the photo challenge. Do not post old photos from your library!
  4. Share no more than 3 photographs to this photo assignment. We want to see only your absolute best!
  5. When posting a photo, please briefly explain the camera equipment, settings, technique or story behind shot.
  6. Be receptive to feedback and criticism, it is well intentioned. Everyone has different perspectives that can be helpful to hear, even if we sometimes disagree. What you do with all this feedback is up to you!
  7. Offer constructive feedback to other community members. Share your honest opinions, but stay objective and offer helpful advice. Share any tips or solutions that might help your fellow X Series photographers.

Those who do not share photographs are welcome to participate in the constructive feedback process.

Please have your photographs posted by December 31st, 2015 if you would like to receive feedback from the community. We can always keep the discussion going afterwards though! Feel free to post your favorite line related photos as you take them during the month, or wait until later in the month for your best to become clear. 

Now go out and shoot some photos!

Green being the color of my avatar in this forum, I think it is fitting I serve as the icebreaker for this month's assignment. Below is my first entry.

DSCF3207es.thumb.jpg.469d290e4ae156c9e90

1.   Bottle's bottom.  X-E2 at 1/5s ISO-800 -0.7EV with Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro at f/8-11 magnification 1:2.5 . Since the bottom of the bottle is curvaceous, the final image is obtained by stacking two photos, the first focused to have a sharp center, the second to have a sharp outer field.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 4

It is a Harley Davidson motorcycle from the mid 90's.

The basic design of their touring models actually goes all the way back to the 1920's and continues through today.

Art Supplies.

Happy Holidays to all!

DSCF1399_3.jpg

Mr. D., you were able to capture a nice composition out of a mundane setting. A part of the different green shades and  patterns, I appreciate the diagonally converging lines of the brushes. Well done and thank you for sharing.

Below is my second entry for this month's assignment.

DSCF3295es.thumb.jpg.2346ee1149f13647439

2.   Close-up image of a backlit leaf (Dillenia grandifolia, in the Singapore Botanic Gardens).  X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-800 with Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro at f/8-11 magnification approximately 1:5 .

With my best wishes of a Merry Christmas to you all and to your loved ones.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 3

Green being the color of my avatar in this forum, I think it is fitting I serve as the icebreaker for this month's assignment. Below is my first entry.

DSCF3207es.thumb.jpg.469d290e4ae156c9e90

1.   Bottle's bottom.  X-E2 at 1/5s ISO-800 -0.7EV with Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro at f/8-11 magnification 1:2.5 . Since the bottom of the bottle is curvaceous, the final image is obtained by stacking two photos, the first focused to have a sharp center, the second to have a sharp outer field.

I really like what you've done with this one - great execution of the theme

Green….. tea!

DSCF4218.jpg

Very good use of selective focusing and an interesting take on the theme. I'm not sure about the hand in the upper left, but that may be nit picking

Art Supplies.

Happy Holidays to all!

DSCF1399_3.jpg

Very well composed, and I like the range of greens on show

Below is my second entry for this month's assignment.

DSCF3295es.thumb.jpg.2346ee1149f13647439

2.   Close-up image of a backlit leaf (Dillenia grandifolia, in the Singapore Botanic Gardens).  X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-800 with Tokina AT-X 90mm f/2.5 macro at f/8-11 magnification approximately 1:5 .

With my best wishes of a Merry Christmas to you all and to your loved ones.

Excellent - beautifully composed and shot.

Stuffing2.thumb.jpg.a9b99783b0df05adbd68

Parsley on the homemade stuffing during cooking. Merry Christmas everybody.

Very seasonal! This is quite abstract and would leave me head scratching without your description.

Top of the Morn.

DSCF1442.jpg

I really, really like the reflection on this one - excellent!

Managed to take a couple of pictures for the theme this month - both taken with a Fuji X-E2 using a Samyang 21/1.4...

1)

23897077312_cbe701c58a_c.jpg

Texture by Andy McDonald, on Flickr

2)

24005332045_a796ea43d8_c.jpg

Moss by Andy McDonald, on Flickr

Andy, thank you for the kind feedback.

As far as your entries are concerned, my favorite is the second one. It nicely conveys the feeling of the humid season in the UK. I also like its rendition of the out of focus background: not creamy smooth but nevertheless pleasant, especially the brown leaves (I believe) on the ground. Not bad at all for a wide angle.

Andy, thank you for the kind feedback.

As far as your entries are concerned, my favorite is the second one. It nicely conveys the feeling of the humid season in the UK. I also like its rendition of the out of focus background: not creamy smooth but nevertheless pleasant, especially the brown leaves (I believe) on the ground. Not bad at all for a wide angle.

Thanks Marco, I'm finding this to be a pretty useful walkaround lens.

Below is my third and last entry for this month's assignment.

DSCF3360es.thumb.jpg.237d269441a1f789eea

3.   Fern tip.  X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/5.6 . A polarizer was used to preserve the vibrancy of the  green color of the fern. The lens was focused at its minimum distance on the fern with the background, a tiled dark-gray granite floor, about 1.5 meter beyond it. I am very pleased with the smooth out-of-focus rendition of the background in these conditions.

Wishing you all a very happy 2016.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 3

Below is my third and last entry for this month's assignment.

DSCF3360es.thumb.jpg.237d269441a1f789eea

3.   Fern tip.  X-E2 at 1/250s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/5.6 . A polarizer was used to preserve the vibrancy of the  green color of the fern. The lens was focused at its minimum distance on the fern with the background, a tiled dark-gray granite floor, about 1.5 meter beyond it. I am very pleased with the smooth out-of-focus rendition of the background in these conditions.

Wishing you all a very happy 2016.

I really like the simplicity of your composition. You've definitely preserved the vibrancy of the green colour and the background really brings this out. Very nice.

Beautiful submissions this month Marco! That backlit leaf photo would make a great iPhone wallpaper!

I intended to photograph some interesting tropical leaves this month when I was in Mexico, but after reviewing my photos just now, it seems all the mezcal made me a bit forgetful :D 

Beautiful submissions this month Marco! That backlit leaf photo would make a great iPhone wallpaper!

Christopher, thank you for your kind comment. Please, feel free to use the backlit photo as an iPhone wallpaper. I look forward to the January assignment to make new photo contributions to this forum.

• Like 1