Katro16

Aperture Noise on XF 35mm 1.4

Katro16

Hi i am new to the forum and i just got my new XT1 a month ago, i was using for over a month the 18-55mm lens and was a great one, but after reading and seeing the power of the 35mm 1.4 lens i got in love with it so i decided to switch it. When i setup the lens i started hearing this noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2M6905pC8 so i am kind of freaked out because i am not sure if it is normal or a defect on the lens. I have read a few more threads but i did not get an answer.

It happens when i try to focus, also when i switch on/off camera or preview a photo thru preview buttons. Seems everytime the shutter blades move they make that noise. The 18-55mm was smooth AF <-- As F*CK no Auto Focus :P for the geeks. 

Is this normal? Should i do smth about it? 

I would really appreciate some opinions and hope this is normal

P.S the lens is new out of the box.

Edited by Katro16

veejaycee

I can't believe you've read any more than 3-4 threads about this lens because what you describe is probably the most talked about "fault" of any Fuji lens.

The 35mm f1.4 is the noisiest of Fuji lenses (although still quieter than some of my old DSLR lenses) also in spite of FW improvements the slowest to focus. It's the motor more than the blades. These are the reasons Fuji recently produced a new 35mm f2 lens which is quieter, faster to focus and a tiny bit more expensive in spite of being a stop slower.

In my view you have the better lens if you can mange with its little idiosyncrasies.

farrell

Hi i am new to the forum and i just got my new XT1 a month ago, i was using for over a month the 18-55mm lens and was a great one, but after reading and seeing the power of the 35mm 1.4 lens i got in love with it so i decided to switch it. When i setup the lens i started hearing this noise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU2M6905pC8 so i am kind of freaked out because i am not sure if it is normal or a defect on the lens. I have read a few more threads but i did not get an answer.

It happens when i try to focus, also when i switch on/off camera or preview a photo thru preview buttons. Seems everytime the shutter blades move they make that noise. The 18-55mm was smooth AF <-- As F*CK no Auto Focus :P for the geeks. 

Is this normal? Should i do smth about it? 

I would really appreciate some opinions and hope this is normal

P.S the lens is new out of the box.

If you have given up the 18-55 for a 35 1.4, that was a bad idea.

I have both and the 18-55 is here to stay.