franco

Zeiss 'G' 90mm F2.8 Sonnar (with XE2) examples....

franco

Hi All,

So, after a quick ten minutes today, I am able to post a few examples from the Zeiss 90mm 'G' fit lens. There is a short write up too - if I can redirect you to my little blog site thingy:

http://capitalfaces.com/2015/12/16/zeiss-sonnar-g-90mm-f2-8-quickie-test/

Nothing earth-shattering, image wise, just a test. But its a terrific lens, that I will definitely get plenty of use from.

Merry Christmas All, 

Matt

• Like 2

andymcd

Looks good Matt, the adapter definitely looks smaller than the ones I have for my Nikon lenses.

Christopher

Such a great deal, I hope I stumble across one in a thrift store some day! I love how these mate to the X series with such a small adaptor, almost as compact as the original.

Do you find it awkward to focus with the adaptor itself? Can you sort of twist the entire lens to focus or do you need to hold the adaptor ring itself?

veejaycee

The Contax G fit like Matt's have a very narrow adapter due to the G cameras being rangefinder bodies. The adapter is only needed to fit to Fuji rather than to maintain the registration distance.

If you don't mind a standard size adapter then the Minolta 85mm f2 MD is also excellent (and cheapish) and the lens itself is fairly compact for the FL.

I have 3 Minolta MD fit lenses, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f2 and 135mm f2.8 all are excellent with Fuji x. I can also recommend the 28mm f2.8/23.5.

• Like 1

franco

Such a great deal, I hope I stumble across one in a thrift store some day! I love how these mate to the X series with such a small adaptor, almost as compact as the original.

Do you find it awkward to focus with the adaptor itself? Can you sort of twist the entire lens to focus or do you need to hold the adaptor ring itself?

Its a little weird at first, Christopher, but only because its (the focus wheel) practically flush against the body...you get used to it!

MarcoDebiasi

Matt, congratulation for the excellent purchase and review of this lens.
While I agree with you that this lens is no match for the new Fuji XF 90mm f/2.0 as the latter takes advantage of 20 years of progress in lens design and fabrication and it has been specifically optimized for working with the X-series cameras, it can nevertheless hold his ground very, very well. And not surprisingly so. When it was introduced as part of the Contax G system in the mid-ninenties, it immdiately gained a very strong reputation. If I correctly remember (I can not find a link to it) Popular Photography of Herbert Keppler fame declared it one of the sharpest 90mm they ever tested and a new benchmark for its focal length. Photodo tested this lens and gave it a really high score (see here the correspondig webpages, and in particular the MTF charts in the last "Images" page). Also, a part from the price, this lens still maintains a clear advantage over the XF 90mm: it is about half the volume and the weight, an important consideration if one wants a high-quality 90mm lens as part of a really small and light kit.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi
  • Like 1