FrankPrendergast

Good starter book for X30?

Hi All - I just got a Fuji X30 and find the manual pretty poor, would like to accelerate my learning curve with a good book. The closest thing my searches have thrown up is Alexander S White's book on the X10 which has been discussed on these forums so I guess a lot of you are familiar with it. 

My question is whether the book is still largely useful for the X30 as I'm not familiar with the changes from x10 > x20 > x30, or whether anyone can recommend any other books.

I have some small bit of photography experience but it's safe to assume a beginners level for any recommendations :)

Thanks for any help.

There are significant difference between the X10 and X30 so i would suggest that a X10 book will be of little use.

The menu structure, button layout, sensor, processing engine, viewfinder and body are all different

I can't recommend a specific book and unlike some on this site I won't recommend something I have not at least tried but when I Googled "Fujifim X30 book" there did appear to be a number of hits on specific books on the camera. It might be worthwhile grabbing some titles and authors and posting a list of a few of the more prominent and see if anybody has any first hand knowledge of any of them.

I searched the Kindle store and found one book by Jacob Gleam.  It is called the beginners guide to the X30.  I have no idea of the value of its content.  However, several reviewers gave it a single star rating.  I recently got the X30 and am anxious (like you) in learning to use it to its full potential.  

I guess the question is are you trying to learn things specific to the X30 or are you trying to get a grasp on photographic concepts?

If it's the later the X30 is simply a camera and it operates essentially like every other camera with an aperture a shutter and a lens that are used in combination to get an image. A good generalist photography book would be worthwhile for these concepts.

If you are looking for particular X30 specific tips and tricks like for example the Q menu operation or in camera filters then that stuff is similar (but NOT the same) across most of the X cameras so you might be able to get info the helps you from a book about another camera and in that regard the X20 would be better than the X10 because the firmware is more like that of the X30 but you won't get a whole books value worth.

A lot of the frilly things that you might think you might want to learn about like the in camera filters are fluff. They are things that look good on product brochures and at sales counters but in reality I doubt many people use them more than once or twice. Just experiment, the film is cheap. 

If you have specific questions just ask them here I'm sure there will be people who will assist.

I would support the comments that the one star rating for the book by Richard.  It just talks about the features, but not how to use the features in the camera.  Still searching for a book to help me understand about how to use the camera.

• Thanks 1