Buck777

Best lens for Astrophotography on the X-T1?

Buck777

im heading next month to a secluded beach area which almost zero light pollution and just a incredible display of the Milky Way. 

I have the 10-24, 18-135 and the 35 f2

ive read some articles saying the rokinon 12mm is the best lens for the mirrorless in this category, with honourable mention to the xf14mm. Has anyone had good results with the 10-24? Apparently the 23 and the 35 are a bit tight in the night sky 

Buck777

Not the most popular thread on here ?.  Doing some research with a bias towards Fuji lens. On social media 'lonely speck' seems to have the most articles. He rated the X-T1 as OK for astrophotography - rating the Sony FF mirrorless as better and more suited. Fair enough. I'm committed to Fuji now so I'm searching around for great shots of the night sky. 

Loney speck says you shouldn't go over f2.8 - which nullifies the f4 10-24, but last week found this shot 

image.jpeg

Which doesn't look too bad at all.

lonely speck gave the 23mm a thumbs up though calling it a little limiting 

image.jpeg

Another photographer took this shot with the 23mm and 'stiched' it together for a pretty amazing panoramic shot 

image.jpeg

The info for the 10-24mm is as follows 

image.jpeg

Buck777

I must admit I'm amazed at the 1/7s producing that. I  was expecting a lot more exposure. 

Cant wait to get out there and try some stuff 

Buck777

This shot was taken with the 14. I asked the shooter to give me his settings - which he kindly did 

image.jpeg

These shots were from the 18 f2

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Buck777

And finally for today ( though I'm prob talking to myself ?) this gem from the 18-55. Which wasn't a lens lonely speck rates and it was at f4 ( higher than he recommended ). I think the X-T1 seems to be handling the skies amazingly with most of the wider lens 

image.jpeg

veejaycee

I think you could safely get away with using f2.8 when shooting the 18-55mm at the wide end and a lower ISO. There's little in this last picture which would not show as sharp when focused at infinity or manually on the stars. I think also it is near enough the 14mm that if the main purpose is to use it for astral photography you could save the money and use the zoom. If the lens is needed for other uses then I can vouch for it being one of the very best.

However, If the zoom doesn't go wide enough or fast enough and cost is a factor then the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f2 has to be the lens for this and this picture could be taken at f2 @ ISO6400. Not for nothing has it become the standard for this type of photography on FF and APS sensors.

• Like 1

Buck777

The samyang 12mm f2 seems like the go to lens for astrophotography on the X series. The only two lens that are similar would be the Fuji 14 and the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8. Lonely speck compared the samyang to the Zeiss and gave the honours to Samyang. In my country the samyang is 300% cheaper than the Zeiss - so it'd be a no brainer which lens to get. However my mate at work refuses to by third party lens for his X-T1 and went with the Fuji 14mm - and loves it. He hasn't yet given me examples of the night sky yet though.

Just on Fuji - I've read three articles now saying the 16mm WR is no good for astrophotography. 

Edit - here's a couple of excellent shots from the samyang 12mm. The only criticism I've read is the chance of a bad copy is higher than Fuji or Zeiss. So I guess be mindful where you purchase it. One buyer had to exchange his lens 3 tines before getting the right one 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Buck777

So I'm still waiting for my 23mm to arrive, and it was a beautiful clear night outside tonight - so I thought what the heck and threw on my 10-24, opened it wide, pointed it at the part of the sky which seemed to have the most dots and fired off a couple of shots. 

Yep - f4 isnt quite going to cut the mustard, but it's awesome just standing in the dark wondering what's going to be revealed. I didn't count on one hazard though - my two Labradors sniffing around my back lawn almost knocking my tripod over. 

image.jpeg

Buck777

So I finally got my hands on the samyang 12mm f2. Pointed it up at the stars...clicked off a few shots to try it out on the backyard. Should've seen/heard  the commercial aircraft coming in over head lol

image.jpeg

• Like 2

andymcd

The sky is too light polluted here to get decent pictures like these. I really like yours, even the one with the plane. I am up in Caithness later in the year, I might try some then. Looks like the 12/2 works well, that is a lens that I may get next depending how my old vivitar 19/3.8 works out on a focal reducer

Edited by andymcd
Premature post

persco

So I finally got my hands on the samyang 12mm f2. Pointed it up at the stars...clicked off a few shots to try it out on the backyard. Should've seen/heard  the commercial aircraft coming in over head lol

Nice job! I own and love the Samyang 12mm. I have used it for other shots, but bought it as the most recommended lens for astrophotography on the X-T1. I will try to make it out to a dark sky region a few hours out of Toronto in the early spring to try this myself for the first time. Southern Ontario light pollution is incredible so it means driving for several hours to find somewhere decent to get a photo...

• Like 1

Buck777

Got out a bit last few weeks. Starting to get my head around Astro. The samyang 12 is amazing 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Rs6er

I shot this picture with the 18-135 zoom set at 18mm. Tomorrow night I will be shooting the Milky Way with my new 14 2.8 Fujinon. 

image.jpeg