LCM_Scott

The best off brand lens for X-T1

Hey y'all I have read a ton of great information but am still wondering why is the best off brand lens for the X-T1? Overall build, performance and price shoul all play a role in this decision. Doesn't matter what type of photography it will be used for just an overall all around best lens. 

What do y'all think?

now that I've read your post with two eyes - the only non Fuji lens that I'm going to get is the Samyang 12mm f2. Seen too many good images from it to pass it up. Cheap too.

Edited by Buck777
first reply was completely off topic ?
  • Like 1

He did ask what we the best off brand, non Fuji, lens...

:D

lol, true. So eager to share my Fuji experience I didn't read the fine print. Disregard everything I wrote LCM Scott!

• Like 2

As this is in the adapted lens part of the forum I assume that you are talking about old film era lenses that are able to be used on the X series with some form of adapter.

With a few exceptions I would venture to suggest that most film era lenses are pretty ordinary when compared to current digital era ones. Sure there are some exceptions and people will no doubt point them out but overall the film era lenses seem to produce much softer images. The look is not bad it is just different and if that is what you are after thats fine.

Part of the fun of using adapted lenses on Fujis is not necessarily getting better images its just getting images with a different feel to them.

• Like 1

Part of the fun of using adapted lenses on Fujis is not necessarily getting better images its just getting images with a different feel to them.

As someone who has three Fujifilm XF lenses and four adapted lenses, I would agree, but I would add two more important reasons I go for these:

1: Cost. I have a Canon 50mm f1.4 lens which, with the adapter, has cost me just £75 and has given me a very useful street and portrait setup. My classic OM lenses cost even less, giving me 28mm wide and 50mm Macro options for less than £100 for the pair. My Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 was a little more expensive but is a real dream to use and, being designed for a rangefinder body, is extremely compact, giving me a great little camera when on the X-T10.

2: Feel. These classic prime lenses, with manual focus and aperture rings, just feel great to use. They force me to go full manual and slow down to consider what I am shooting, use my feet to zoom and my brain to set up the shot. Or to set the camera up first and see what I can grab with that configuration. 

I find I am learning an awful lot very quickly and really enjoying the process of photography as I am doing it.

Edited by RichardCFrost
  • Like 2

I have two old Pentax lenses, the M 50/1.7 and the M 135/3.5  Both 2ndhand for approx. $20. An adapter from K&F Concept bought on eBay for $15 and I am ready to go.

• Like 3

I have some Nikon Series E lenses (50/1.8, 100/2.8 and 75-150/3.5) which cost about £50-60 each (plus £12 for an adapter). I also have an old Cosina 24/2.8 in Nikon fit which works very nicely too.

My current favourite is a Samyang 21/1.4 which is a manual lens in Fuji X fit (so no adapter) which I had to buy new.

I agree with others that using manual/adapted lenses on the Fuji X bodies (X-E2 for me) is a lot of fun - for me it is like going back to my Olympus OM-1 days.

Andy

• Like 2

Awesome thank you everyone! I am just getting back to reading this and judging by the first few comments I believe I have missed some stuff lol. 

But it yes I am looking for one decent throwback lens for that nostalgic feel. Vintage film lenses are what I was thinking. I have a few lenses left over from when I was shooting Nikon since I still shoot my Nikon FG 35mm and my favorite out of them is my 50mm f1.8. It has a great look and feel and produces nice quality images of you don't mind manual focusing.

i was thinking about giving that a go. But I will definitely have to check out some of these suggestions as well. Thanks for the feedback everyone! 

I have two old Pentax lenses, the M 50/1.7 and the M 135/3.5  Both 2ndhand for approx. $20. An adapter from K&F Concept bought on eBay for $15 and I am ready to go.

Got to love those K&F Concept adapters. Had five of them and they have all been excellent. Pentax and Olympus to Micro 4/3, and Olympus, Canon and M39 to FX. All around a tenner each off Amazon.

A simple Nikon to Fujifilm FX lens mount adaptor is all you need to use your Nikon 50mm f/1.8 @LCM_Scott, they're only $15 on Amazon with Prime shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-AFNK-Fujifilm-Camera-Adapter/dp/B007YPED8O/

I use one for an old Pentax 50mm f/1.7 that I found in a thrift store. Adapted it makes a pretty nice portrait lens.

• Like 1

Minolta and Minolta Rokkor- I've not found a bad one yet but the very old ones such as the M/R 58mm f1.2 PC are more "character" than general purpose or sharp (but good for portrait and bokeh). The M/R fast 50s are superb for sharpness and bokeh.

• Like 1

Ordered a Mint Canon FD F1.4 lens of Ebay. It was described as unused and with original packing. Bought new about 38 years ago! I won the auction and it was mine. Then I thought it may have a fungus growth or sticky aperture blades. Was a bit worried. It arrived and it was mint. It works like a dream. As sharp as!

I bought a K&F Concept adaptor to fit my X Pro 1. I will post a few photos shortly. Also bought a Nikon D Series  F2.8 105mm micro lens, and having a lot of fun with that as well. It has rekindled my love of photography. I cannot see why that a quality adapted lens will not give excellent results. Also a lot easier on the bank account as well. Do feel that the x mount lenses are rather overpriced. Just make sure that it has a aperture ring on the lens. The older ones have.

In using an adapted lens it does make you think, as regards aperture and shutter speed. Probaly makes you a better photographer.

While on the subject of photos in this forum"s gallery there are some shockers!!  Lighting, out of focus,  exposures and poor compositions. I think that we should be more critical and offer constructive advice. People need to know, where perhaps they are going wrong. I am sure we would all  appreciate becoming better photographers. Your thoughts on this subject please!!!!

• Like 1