Sign in to follow this  
Zaltin

Cold weather and the XT-1 and its lenses

Zaltin

Hi all, 

I'm up in Stockholm and at the moment we have around minus 8 celsius day-time. As I understand it, the camera body is quite cold-resistant, but what I'm wondering is what about the lenses. I don't have any "WR" lenses, just normal XF ones. My worry is that coming in from the cold, there'll be condensation  inside the lens that will turn into water thus damaging it. 

Any suggestions/experiences? 

thanks a lot, o. 

gryphon1911

Do you have any way of slowly acclimating the gear back to room temp?  The room I have all my camera gear is in the middle of my house and stays the warmest.  When coming in from such cold, I leave the camera in my "mud room" which is cooler, but not as cold as outside (20 minutes), then move it into the living room for another 15 minutes - then back into the office.

The problem with dealing with temp shifts and condensation is that you may not know until a few years down the road if you are victim of it.

I keep plenty of dessicant packs in my camera bags and gear cases as well to help cut down on moisture issues.   I grab them anytime that I or someone I know buysnew shoes.  They know to keep them for me!  :D

Then there is the popular plastic bag technique, having the condensation form on the bag.

Lots of good info here to read through as well:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/cameras-humidity-condensation.aspx

• Like 1

farrell

Hi all, 

I'm up in Stockholm and at the moment we have around minus 8 celsius day-time. As I understand it, the camera body is quite cold-resistant, but what I'm wondering is what about the lenses. I don't have any "WR" lenses, just normal XF ones. My worry is that coming in from the cold, there'll be condensation  inside the lens that will turn into water thus damaging it. 

Any suggestions/experiences? 

thanks a lot

If you put your gear in a camera bag before entering a temp-controlled environment, that should be enough to slow down the heat transfer to the chilled items and avoid condensation.

Edited by farrell