Christopher

Community Photo Assignment - Silhouette - January 2016

Christopher

Welcome to the Fuji X Series January 2016 Community Photo Assignment!

The goal of these periodic group photo challenges is to help push each other forward as photographers, to get us outside of our comfort zone with new shooting techniques and ideas. By sharing our work here with the community, we can seek out constructive feedback to help us grow as photographers and give us new perspectives on our work.

Constructive feedback from the community is vital to this process! If you would like to participate in the community photo challenge, post up to 3 of your best assignment related photographs, taken no earlier than today, January 5, 2015, right here in this topic.

This month's assignment is: Silhouette

Each assignment theme is open to your own personal interpretation as a photographer.

Photo Assignment Rules

1. Photos you share here must be your ownPlease embed them into your post, rather than post a link.
  2. Photos must have been taken using a Fujifilm X Series digital camera. Keep your EXIF data intact when exporting your photos.
  3. Photos must be taken during the month of the photo challenge. Do not post old photos from your library!
  4. Share no more than 3 photographs to this photo assignment. We want to see only your absolute best!
  5. When posting a photo, please briefly explain the camera equipment, settings, technique or story behind shot.
  6. Be receptive to feedback and criticism, it is well intentioned. Everyone has different perspectives that can be helpful to hear, even if we sometimes disagree. What you do with all this feedback is up to you!
  7. Offer constructive feedback to other community members. Share your honest opinions, but stay objective and offer helpful advice. Share any tips or solutions that might help your fellow X Series photographers.

Those who do not share photographs are welcome to participate in the constructive feedback process.

Please have your photographs posted by January 31st, 2016 if you would like to receive feedback from the community. We can always keep the discussion going afterwards though! Feel free to post your favorite line related photos as you take them during the month, or wait until later in the month for your best to become clear. 

Now go out and shoot some photos!

RichardCFrost

Here's a couple to have a look at.

1. Leeds sunrise. A bit challenging as I did not have time to get to the roof so I took this through the office window, doing my best to mask any reflections. Having had a closer look, there's quite a bit of fringing going on in this picture, but I like the busyness of the skyline and the colour of the sky itself. Handheld. Voigtlander 35mm adapted lens at around f16 I think.

Leeds Sunrise

2. Little Susie. My Jack Russell cross looking all thoughtful. Taken in natural light, handheld, using my Canon FD 50mm F1.4, at F1.4 of course. You may think it dark, but this is just the look I was going for so I am pleased with how this turned out. Almost a silhouette, but I wanted to retain some of the tan colouring, to show the picture was not black and white.

Susie

MarcoDebiasi

Below is my first contribution to this month's assignment.

DSCF3463e_v1s.thumb.JPEG.5a513622710bafe

1.   Lamppost.   X-E2 at 1/280s ISO-400 -0.7EV with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/7.1 . The image was made after sunrise in the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego, California.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

jcx

Hi folks

Went for a short walk this morning with my X-E1 and XF35 to see if I could find anything suitable for this month's assignment. Here are my three modest efforts. Comments welcome.

Jonathan

DSCF6968_FL

DSCF6972_FL

DSCF6973_FL

Edited by jcx
  • Like 1

jcx

Is it breaking the rules to change my submission?  I thought a bit more about silhouettes and realised that to be more in keeping with the theme, perhaps these would work better in B&W?  Have also added the EXIF info to my post.

DSCF6968_FL-2(X-E1 XF35mm f/1.4) - 1/250 sec f/8 ISO 800

DSCF6972_FL-2

(X-E1 XF35mm f/1.4) - 1/60 sec f/8 ISO 200

DSCF6973_FL-2

(X-E1 XF35mm f/1.4) - 1/500 sec f/8 ISO 200

Edited by jcx

MarcoDebiasi

icx, Christopher may provide the definitive answer as far as the rules go.

Personally I do not find this to be a problem, since you did not withdraw the photos and replace them with different ones, but rather added a different version (or rendition) of the same.

That said, I also believe B&W works much better for your pictures, especially for the second one that, in my opinion, is the finest of the series.

• Like 1

Christopher

It's totally fine to change your submissions, we want to put our best images forward after all!

#2 is the strongest, I agree. #1 and #2 both have some leading lines, but I feel like it could have been better taken advantage of in #1 from a slightly different vantage point. I'm always trying to keep my eye out for good leading lines to use in compositions.

The big tree in #2 is a nice focal point, it's a beautiful tree. One trick that might have helped it stand out even more against the sky would be to squat down lower before taking the photo, it might have placed more of the tree against the sky for added contrast.

jcx

Thanks guys. Your comments and tips much appreciated. I think I was trying a little too hard to make one or two pics fit the brief, so to speak, by trying to emphasize contrast in PP rather than just accept they weren't very good as silhouettes! Also learned that I should spend a little more time and thought choosing or composing my subject to fit the requirement (another way of saying maybe I was a little lazy in my approach...)

• Like 1

MarcoDebiasi

Below are my second and third entry for this month's assignment.

DSCF3481e_v1s.thumb.jpg.2649f2749d589921

2.   Office-bound.   X-E2 at 1/500s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/6.4 . The picture was made in the dark passageway of a HDB complex across the street from my house.

DSCF3497e_v1s.thumb.jpg.72e604325d3fa2d8

3.   Passerby.   X-E2 at 1/500s ISO-3200 with XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 at 55mm f/6.4 . The image was captured inside the VeloCity sport mall of Singapore during a heavy downpour.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

CDHill

These are drive-by shootings from my ride home. 

The first reminds me of a rain dance,

the second a commuter

and the last a surfer girl catching the last wave.

0234 Silhouette - Friends.jpg

0275 Silhouette - The Commuter.jpg

0363 Silhouette - Surfer Girl.jpg

Edited by CDHill
Added EXIF data

MarcoDebiasi

CDHill, wow, for being drive-by shots they came out pretty well. They may not be pin-sharp images (and, given how they were made, I would not expect them to be) but they nicely convey the mood of South Cal., particularly the first and the third ones.

However my favorite is the second one. I like the contracts, both between the black silhouette and the colorful clouds as well as the relaxed poise of the cyclist and the drama of the sky above him.  May be this image would become even more striking if, with some post-processing, the sky could be made somewhat brighter while preserving the black of the silhouette.

Edited by MarcoDebiasi

MarcoDebiasi

X-T1 XF90mm F2 R LW WR 180 sec/ at f/ 5.6 ISO 400

DSCF1596_2.jpg

Mr. D., I am not quite sure about the subject of this photo. It looks like some squid-looking plant behind a piece of wood (or rock). In any case, it seem to be a silhouette on reverse, i.e. a lighter subject against a black background. I would be curious to see how its negative would look like. Possibly it could turn out to work better for this assignment.

• Like 1