Sign in to follow this  
Buck777

Getting a handle on the 56mm APD

Ostravaczech

image.jpeg

Nice shot!  I own the non-APD version and I absolutely love it.

• Like 1

Buck777

Nice shot!  I own the non-APD version and I absolutely love it.

yep - tbh in my early days with this lens I'm struggling to see the difference between the apd and non apd. I got it for the cost of a non apd so I'm fine with it, but the difference in cost between the two is probably a 35mm f2 - and that's an awesome lens to have as well.

RichardCFrost

Nice looking shot @Buck777, focus is a little soft if you zoom in on the subject a little, but I love the light and the framing, the bokeh. 

• Like 1

Iansky

Nice narrow DOF and good out of focus areas, tad soft though but looks like a nice piece of kit so can't wait to see what portraits look like.

I did read AF only works with contrast not phase so I wonder how it will work with the X-Pro2 that will apparently have 2/3rd of the af as phases detection. this could impact sales of this combo?

• Like 1

Buck777

Nice feedback - yeah this is the slowest focusing lens I have  ( ironically the most expensive ), but no excuses. Got out tonight before dusk to work on it - no editing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Iansky

The DOF is superb and again the bokeh (I hate that word) is stunning so a perfect lens for these type of shots and portraits, it is a lens that the stunning quality more than makes up for any loss of focus speed and again a lens aimed at portrait work is not designed for speed over quality.

I am still waiting to see some people portraits with it.

• Like 1

artuk

Nice narrow DOF and good out of focus areas, tad soft though but looks like a nice piece of kit so can't wait to see what portraits look like.

I did read AF only works with contrast not phase so I wonder how it will work with the X-Pro2 that will apparently have 2/3rd of the af as phases detection. this could impact sales of this combo?

Interesting - the "original" Minolta STF with a Apodisation filter was MF only as it could not work with the PDAF of an SLR - so it's no surprise the same is true of the Fuji version (it's because the filter slows light that passes through the outer edges of the filter - aperture - and therefore deliberately changes the phase of the light taking that path).

So obviously you will not get any focus benefit from the cameras with PDAF on sensor.  The X Pro appears to use the same basic sensor as the Sony A6000, which you are correct has PDAF points over about 2/3rds of it's surface area (only the outer edges of the frame appear not to have them).  How Fuji's AF firmware makes use of those is not clear, but all mirrorless cameras appear to complete their focusing with CDAF regardless of whether they have PDAF on sensor, which apparently isn't accurate enough to allow the lens to be moved to exactly the correct focus position, without checking and completing with CDAF.  So, depending on how the Fuji firmware works for focusing, it may have some impact on maximum focusing speed, depending on circumstances.

• Like 1

Iansky

You are so right Artuk but I would like to think that Fuji has considered this and put in place efficient focussing of the APD with the X-Pro2, if not I do feel it will impact sales of both to those who would wish to use the APD on the X-Pro2 for weddings / portraits etc.

Time will tell...............very soon!

Foto Nunta

Nice shoot. But i can't realize what is it!

kiwiana

To @Foto Nunta It is a sea egg. I know it's found around the New Zealand coast. Probaly elsewhere as well?

artuk
On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 10:36 AM, Buck777 said:

Nice feedback - yeah this is the slowest focusing lens I have  ( ironically the most expensive ), but no excuses.

It's not compatible with the on sensor PDAF system found in some of the camera bodies, so can only use CDAF, like the original X-Pro1, which affects the focusing speed.

morpheme
12 hours ago, kiwiana said:

To @Foto Nunta It is a sea egg. I know it's found around the New Zealand coast. Probaly elsewhere as well?

We would call them sea urchins here. That of course is just the shell of a dead animal. The live ones are usually purplish or greenish black and covered in big nasty looking spines. They are related to sand dollars.

• Like 1