Khechog

DOF at distance when using extension tubes?

Hi. I use photography in order to capture textures and light effects for use in digital montages. That means a fair bit of macro but also picking things out from a distance in clouds and high in trees. I also like to travel light so am looking at using the 90mm with an extension tube to cover all these bases and would like to avoid constantly removing and re-applying it if possible. How will the extension tube will affect focus for the distance shots? As I understand it I won't be able to focus from close by to infinity, but will I still have enough DOF to pick out a cloud I like, not caring what else is in focus? Or the play of light in some leaves at the top of a tree? I've looked on line but haven't got the technical knowledge to figure this out. Help appreciated.

Extension tubes are for close up shots, not distance.

Working with extension  tubes  will give you narrow depth of field, so NO you wont have enough DOF to pick up a cloud.

Edited by jamjam
clarity

I did a close focus check shortly after the 90mm lens was released and as I remember it maximum focus distance with the small 10mm ext tube was about 30 inches (just less than 1M). Had you thought of trying a Raynox or Canon 250 close up attachment which will at least save you removing the lens and both are of excellent quality and not to be confused with standard close-up filters. They do not require an adjustment to exposure.

Had you thought of trying a Raynox or Canon 250 close up attachment 

Good shout, however the Raynox 250 is very powerful and gives an incredibly narrow DOF, at least when I have used it. I regretted not getting the slightly more expensive but much mire forgiving Raynox 150.

I get the impression the OP is thinking about objects within centimetres of the lens rather than millimetres, which is where I found the 250 worked.