karlbown

X-E1 upgrade time

karlbown

I'm thinking of buying a replacement for my X-E1.

Apart from the form factor, what are the main differences between the X-E2 and the X-T10?

Is the X-T10 clearly better functionally than the E2 or is it a matter of taste?

cheers

Christopher

When the new X-E2 version 4 firmware update is released the AF performance and image quality should be virtually identical to the X-T10. The only discernible differences come from the hardware itself.

The X-T10 is rated to shoot at 8 frames per second while the X-E2 and X-E2s are only rated for 7 frames per second max, likely due to a difference in shutter design. The X-T10 has a 3" 920K dot LCD display while the X-E2's LCD is a 3" 1040K, slightly higher resolution. The flash on the X-T10 also appears to be slightly more powerful. You can dig deep into the specs of both side by side here: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/compare/index.html?m=FUJIFILM X-E2&m=FUJIFILM X-E2S&m=FUJIFILM X-T10 

karlbown

Thanks Christopher, the upcoming firmware for the X-E2 looks very comprehensive, and I've always like the X-E1 shape. I'll look into the comparison more. I like how Fuji continue to support their older cameras.

As an aside do you think the new X-Pro2 sensor will soon appear in other models?

Christopher

Based on Fujifilm's previous development history, it seems likely that the X-T2 will adopt the X-Pro2's sensor and performance gains. Perhaps later this year? Rumor has it the new X-Trans III sensor can shoot 4K video, but that will be a feature reserved for the X-T2. With the release of the X-E2s, an X-E3 with the new sensor seems less certain. As you can see the X-E2 and X-T10 are nearly identical now, Fujifilm may be reluctant to continue such redundancy another generation. Perhaps if the X-E3 does come to fruition, Fujifilm will find a way to further distinguish it from the X-T line and really embrace the rangefinder style form factor. An EVF only X-Pro2 variant would work for me :)

andymcd

I upgraded from an X-E1 in the summer and had to choose between X-E2 and X-T10. In the end I chose the X-E2 because I preferred the feel (ergonomics) of the X-E2 over the X-T10 (I found the buttons a bit too fiddly). Now that the X-E2 firmware update is happening, it would have made me even more convinced to get the X-E2.

karlbown

The X-E2s seems a strange release. Not really enough to differentiate it from the X-E2 once the firmware is released I think. I'm surprised they've continue the X-E2 shape anyway as it looked like they'd gone wholeheartedly into the fake slr look. Though I'm glad they have as I'm not sure I like it as much as the rangefinder look.

Decisions, decisions. Think I'll probably go for the X-E2 as I can save £100 over an X-T10 but I'll keep checking the prices.

robthebruce

I'm waiting for the new 24 mp sensor to be put into an X-T1 or X-E2. Then the upgrade from the X-E1 will be worthwhile for me.

I still like the X-E1/2 functionality as fits in my camera bag without the hump of the X-T1. 

jcx

To my thinking, the X-E series has always been about rangefinder style cameras without the OVF, which nicely facilitates a more compact and lighter weight body. I don't like and don't want the fake SLR concept and really don't want to be forced down that route. The trend for fake SLRs caught Fujifilm's attention and I feel somewhat distracted them from the X-100/X-Pro concept for a while. They each serve different market segments in my view. You either prefer one or the other.

Ideally the X-E3 should have the specification of the X-Pro2 with the more compact form factor afforded by ditching the OVF. Fujifilm demonstrated a high quality EVF with the X-T1. My perfect X-E1 upgrade would be X-Pro2 spec with the X-T1 EVF and an articulated touchscreen rear display- all contained in the small and lightweight X-E body. That would get Fujifilm back on track with the design philosophy of the original X-E1.

karlbown

Yes that sounds pretty good to me too. I'm quite happy with the rangefinder look, and appreciate the smaller size of the X-Ex over the X-Prox. Though I do think the X-Pro is cool :-)

robthebruce

Thanks JCX. You have succinctly expressed my hopes about an upgrade to the X-E2. A good electronic viewfinder, rear screen and big sensor and I'd buy one in a nanosecond.