DaveH

Is getting X-Pro 1 a good idea?

With the X Pro2 being released I'd guess the used price of the older one will drop a bit. I've always liked the both the look of the camera and more importantly the images it produces and wouldn't mind owning one at some point as a second body. I've got a XE2 which I think is the best camera I've ever used and I've used a few! Do you think I'd be disappointed with a X Pro1 compared to my XE2? I know the image performance would be pretty much the same and the handling would be a little different but what about AF and speed of use ect?   

Hello Dave. Thanks for this post. I currently have a Fuji X Pro 1 and I really like it. I am thinking at the moment of getting an extra body, namely a Fuji XE2, but I have seen a good deal I think,  at B&H for an X Pro1 body for US$499. Want to keep to the Fuji Mount system. Is the XE2 any better than the X Pro1.

Feel free to throw your two bob into this one!  Let's know your preferences. Thanks.

Hello Dave. Thanks for this post. I currently have a Fuji X Pro 1 and I really like it. I am thinking at the moment of getting an extra body, namely a Fuji XE2, but I have seen a good deal I think,  at B&H for an X Pro1 body for US$499. Want to keep to the Fuji Mount system. Is the XE2 any better than the X Pro1.

Feel free to throw your two bob into this one!  Let's know your preferences. Thanks.

That's what I want to know mate! I'm the opposite way round to you with owning the XE2. The XE2 has just had a major upgrade in firmware making it function the same as the XT10 and XT1. It was good before but even better now! I haven't looked at the X Pro 1 firmware so don't know how up to date they've made it. I think the AF will be better on the XE2 but someone that's owned both will be able to say better than me on that. To be honest I think I want a X pro 1 because it's just such a beautiful camera and if the AF works well enough for portrait and wedding work I'll probably be getting one at some point :) I think you'd be very happy with a XE2, especially if you use the EVF on your's a lot and not the optical finder. 

• Like 1

Biggest difference for me between the X-Pro and the X-E models is the size of the body. The X-E models are, for my hands - just too small. Too small for comfortable use and, with gloves on - a complete disaster.

The X-Pro1 is just enough larger to handle comfortably.

• Like 2

Three digital cameras I will never get rid of are the Leica M9P, Leica Monochrom, and Fuji X-Pro1. I regret getting rid of my X100 for an X100S. Sometimes the IQ on certain cameras is sublime. The Fuji X-Pro1 IQ is sublime :-) Many people prefer it over the X-T1 and more recent generation of Fuji-X cameras. The X-Pro1 price is very good these days, so unless you're after slightly faster AF, it's a great choice.

• Like 3

I have recently purchased both an X-Pro 1 and an X-E2.  Both are fabulous camera's and both can be had for a decent price.  Of the two I would rate the X-E2 the better overall camera - the recent v4 update has made it par in many respects with either of the X-T series, its performance is of top professional standards now.  However if judging IQ and build quality as separate areas, then the X-Pro1 may come out the stronger; t's built like a Panzer and in the right conditions (almost all conditions) captures stunning images.  The MAJOR issue with the X-Pro 1 always was and remains, focusing speed, particularly low-light focus performance.  There is no getting away from it, the X-Pro1 struggles in low light - although it is still capable of capturing beautiful images in low light in the right circumstance, especially when married to any of Fujinon's prime lenses.  Overall it's a classic camera and you will find worse ways to spend the £300-odd it will cost you.

• Like 2

You might remember my ;posting about my uncle's Leica M3. He gave it to me recently but I have never put a roll of film in it and while it looks great its just a paper weight at the moment. 

For the range finder style fix as well as beautiful looks and handling I recently purchased an X pro 1 body for $400 brand new. I placed the 35mm 1.4 mm on the camera. This is my digital substitute for the Leica M3. Yes true it is slightly slow to focus at times but most of the time it captures the shot I want. Its a lovely camera to handle. I also have the XE1 battered and bruised and abused and this has a diaopter and a built in flash. With the the X pro I need to get some kind of glass for the view finder or shoot with glasses. I prefer the X pro 1. 

Also in a badly lit room with out flash the X pro 1 out focuses my Nikon DF which does nor have a focus assistant light. The DF freezes and will not shoot regardless of high ISO.

I am keeping mine as a collectors item as well as a marvelous camera to look at handle and use   

• Like 1

I picked up the X-Pro1 with 18 & 27mm + case just before Christmas when the deals were amazing (effectively buy 2 lenses and get the camera free!!).

I believe there may still be a few retailers selling this kit but many have gone and the X-Pro1 body is still available but for an average price of around £450.00 body only.

The latest firmware update 3.50 has made a big positive difference to the performance of this camera in both AF and overall performance, I will be keeping mine as the results are superb and it will be a perfect 2nd camera to the new one.  Just beware of some moving their well used and in some cases abused bodies for a premium price based on the resurgance of interest in the X-Pro cameras.

You might remember my ;posting about my uncle's Leica M3. He gave it to me recently but I have never put a roll of film in it and while it looks great its just a paper weight at the moment. 

For the range finder style fix as well as beautiful looks and handling I recently purchased an X pro 1 body for $400 brand new. I placed the 35mm 1.4 mm on the camera. This is my digital substitute for the Leica M3. Yes true it is slightly slow to focus at times but most of the time it captures the shot I want. Its a lovely camera to handle. I also have the XE1 battered and bruised and abused and this has a diaopter and a built in flash. With the the X pro I need to get some kind of glass for the view finder or shoot with glasses. I prefer the X pro 1. 

Also in a badly lit room with out flash the X pro 1 out focuses my Nikon DF which does nor have a focus assistant light. The DF freezes and will not shoot regardless of high ISO.

I am keeping mine as a collectors item as well as a marvelous camera to look at handle and use   

Nikon still sells the eyepiece correction lenses directly for 22.50 US 

• Like 2

X-Pro 1 used pricing may fall due to people offloading their bodies for the X-Pro 2, but I don't think pricing will change much. 

Why?

X-Pro 2 is a hefty price premium. X-Pro 1 is ready great value. It's so cheap it's worth keeping as a second body for the other lens. I don't own one but if I did I'd probably keep it. 

I have now sold my Leica M3 and 3 lenses. I also have a lens adapter Leica to Fuji (not sold). Point being  I was using Leica glass with Fuji X pro 1. Now I have the XPro 1 ($400) and the old 35mm 1.4 mm. I am not in the least sad about the Leica. 

Yes the XPro 2 is a completely different camera now but not so long ago the X pro 1 was state of the art, If you google Fuji cameras sometimes you hit blogs talking about the X pro 1 and the X100 as new models. Its a only a few years.

These cameras still take amazing images, they look great too.        

With the X Pro2 being released I'd guess the used price of the older one will drop a bit. I've always liked the both the look of the camera and more importantly the images it produces and wouldn't mind owning one at some point as a second body. I've got a XE2 which I think is the best camera I've ever used and I've used a few! Do you think I'd be disappointed with a X Pro1 compared to my XE2? I know the image performance would be pretty much the same and the handling would be a little different but what about AF and speed of use ect?   

I had an x-pro1 and loved it.. I actually back peddled from having a more advanced camera such as the OM-D E-M1 & E-M5 MkII... super fast and full of features and great IQ.. I just really like fuji and in fact my first 2 cameras before my M43 journey were the x100 & x10.

So, I gave up all my nice M43 stuff and went back to simple x-pro1.. primitive EVF (compared to the latest gen EVF's) and slow AF and write speeds.. but, the style and handling and IQ were something I found unique to the X-pro1 and really liked.

Now, since you have an X-E2, you have a much better processor and AF and EVF... and with latest firmware update, if it isn't up yet, it will be as up to date as any other more current X camera (save that of the X-Pro2) and match spec for spec with the latest X-E2S that just released.

If you don't need the OVF, I say save your money with the x-e2.. not much reason to get the x-pro1 unless you like the slightly different styling and want to dab at the OVF for fun.

On February 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM, pominpocket said:

you can purchase Fuji diopters for your X-Pro1 from Fuji parts in New Jersey, they have all the + and - sizes $19.95 plus shipping. got it the next day. Ph# 1800-659-3854

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:07 PM, darwiniandude said:

X-Pro 1 used pricing may fall due to people offloading their bodies for the X-Pro 2, but I don't think pricing will change much. 

Why?

X-Pro 2 is a hefty price premium. X-Pro 1 is ready great value. It's so cheap it's worth keeping as a second body for the other lens. I don't own one but if I did I'd probably keep it. 

and the x pro 1 was already at bargain basement prices,,often being given away effectively free with lenses. Its hard to see how it could get any cheaper -,though Fuji were rumoured to have a large stockpile they couldn't sell, so who knows?

As for getting, if the buyer is completely aware of its shortcomings and operational issues, then maybe its an ok buy if you don't want to spend much money. Newer cameras from.Fuji and other brands will mostly offer more.