flashbang

"Silent" X-10: Is This Going To Be A Problem?

I have a chance to buy an X-10 in fine shape with one problem:  The synthetic "Sounds" (shutter, etc) don't work.  Camera is silent regardless of settings.  Other than that (and as far as I can tell) the camera is in perfect shape.  Is this 'malfunction' a sign of problems down the line?  Any suggestions?

If it doesn't make any of the other synthetic noises, I'd say no - likely just a bad speaker. the shutter noise has always been about the first thing I program 'off' with all the fuji's I've owned.

I would have it silent anyway. Just wondering if they have the electronic shutter enabled. I just enabled the sounds on at max on my XT1, also the flash etc but then set ES only and - no sounds. As soon as M or M+E shutter is enabled the sounds come back on. Maybe use the no sounds as a bargaining chip then check the shutter settings.

Tech guy I spoke with at Fuji said that without examining the camera, it could be no problem at all or it could be the beginning of something serious.  Glad he was clear on that.  Anyway, since I got the camera on eBay and the dealer did not want to make any allowance over this problem,  I decided to return it.

Thanks for replies.  

Still looking.  

A bit late to the party, but I had (or rather, still have) the same problem with my X10. The sound went, so no more systems sounds (which I hate) or shutter clicks (which I love). Not too much of a problem, but the video also no longer records sound. Again, not a huge problem, my iPhone 6+ takes better quality video anyway, imho but still ... So it looks like the speaker & microphone are bunched.   

But other than that, the camera works grand. It takes pictures. Silently. Very silently.