flashbang

'Old' X-10 vs. X-30?

flashbang

I have been a user of the X-10 for years and love the camera. Used it on trips through places in tropics and SE Asia. Even sold an occasional image. Only problem now is that my current X-10 – the second one I have owned - is getting a bit 'long in the tooth.' Nothing malfunctioning, but I figure with all it has been though, it is only a matter of time:

I first figured on picking up a second hand one on eBay, which still seems like a workable option. Alternately, there is the X-30. So: has anybody used both? Is the X-30 all that better? More reliable, whatever?

Your experience and advice most appreciated!

old_school

Hi:

http://www.ronmartblog.com

This fellow has interesting write ups for each camera which might be helpful.

Maybe fuji is comong out with a replacement for the X30 soon, eh?   What would you like to see on the X10.4?

Edited by old_school
clarity

MadDog

I owned the X10 and took many great images with it.  I even covered a wedding with just that camera.   Now I use an X30 and find I like it better due to the evf.  It is double the resolution of my xs-1.   I found both cameras to be great tools for getting superb imagery.  I still believe that the camera is not that important a choice as is artistic imagination.   I used to favor optical viewfinders but since using the x-30 I am convinced of its viability as a serious tool.  Obviously the Leica Q has an even higher resolution evf which is nice but it is something that I rent as needed due to its high cost.  

Buy the the x-30.  You will be happy with it.  Or rent one for a couple of weeks to test drive it.     

The X-30 is great little camera.  I get long battery life and I recently covered a wedding using just the X-30.  I carried a spare battery but didn't need it.  I was there over 6 hours.  I was more exhausted than the battery!  I use the evf 100 per cent of the time with a mix of manual/auto focus modes.  Its never let me down.  I use it more than the XS-1 nowdays.  I think the main difference between the X10 and X30 may be the sensor.   I don't worry so much about how the images look straight out of the camera as I usually take my time and tweak them to my preferences.   

flashbang

Thanks to all!  So far, am leaning towards an X-30, mostly because of viewfinder and battery life.  There is also the fact that any X-10 I got would be several years older.. Up until I started shooting digital, I used Leica RF cameras: my 'new' one was vintage 1965 and age was nover a problem.  Different story now,

misty345

Have used X10 as only  travel camera since purchasing six months after it was released. An excellent choice. Eighteen months ago optical view finder would only focus at one zoom setting. Got the X10 repaired but it had taken around 13,000 shots, (and had had a rough life physically).  So bought an X30 just in case......... Still have both.  Image quality is basically the same with both cameras, but X10 file size is half of X30 for same quality. Took both on a six week trip last year. X30 EVF is probably main real world practical improvement. Better battery life is a small plus, but carrying a spare for X10 was no hassle. All round the X30 has extra features .  Nice, but none are really important, in general all round usage, for getting good pictures in a travel context. I have found that the only downside to the X30 for me, was the slightly extra bulk making it a little less pocketable than the X10. Have to admit I mostly use the X30 now despite the inconvenience of slightly larger size. Next trip will probably only take the X30.

flashbang

Got to use an X-30 recently and decided that I genuinely like the X-10 better: this is entirely subjective, no tech data involved.  Soooo: snagged another X-10, one in really good condition, on eBay.  Will keep my 'old' X-10 as a back-up and providing there are no disasters, I should be set for next couple of years of travel photos.

Thanks for the assistance!

Edited by flashbang

RichardCFrost

An interesting story. Enjoy your new old X10. I loved my X10. Should have kept it and never gone to M4/3. X10 is a great little unit.