Dr.Nipun

XT10 - planning to buy: need suggestions & help

Dr.Nipun

Hello respected photographers and members,

I am planning to buy a Fuji XT10 in near future. I have seen almost all the reviews in youtube regarding xt10 and I am very much convinced that it will be a good camera to buy. I also want to buy the accessories needed for the camera. So I have a few qs in mind regarding the camera & the accessories. I will be much obliged if someone helps me out:

1. I live in a country where 99% photographers use either canon or nikon. So when I am asking for advice from someone, people are discouraging me to buy a Fuji. But I am really inclined to Fuji XT10 due to the form factor & quality. So what you guys suggest? 

2. I am kind of unhappy that XT10 doesn't have OIS built-in. So what you say will it be a big deal shooting with XT10 with non-IS lenses? I am a smartphone photographer, so I know OIS is a big deal for smartphone photography. Should I wait for XT20 (or something like that)?

3. How good really is the kit lens (18-55mm) for the beginning? I like nature photography as well as street. But of course I will take portraits too. 

4. I have a bunch of 52mm filters. The kit lens has 58mm thread. If I use a 58-52mm step down ring, will it cause uncorrectable vignetting? 

5. Will any 58mm lens cap fit with the kit lens?

6. Suppose I plan to buy new filters. What will the best size to choose keeping in mind that in future I may broaden my lens collection. And if I buy bigger filters, what type of lens caps should I buy? What size more preciously.

7. Is anyone using 3rd party or different OEM lenses with XT10? How's the performance?

8. What lens (Fuji or any other good ones) will be the best for a little bit wide angle distortion but not full fish eye effect?

9. What speedlight should I buy? I am a tight on my budget.

10. Can anyone compare the kit lens with the LG G4 camera if possible?

Many many thanks if u have read this thread and many more thanks if you can help me with these.

veejaycee

I am planning to buy a Fuji XT10 in near future. I have seen almost all the reviews in youtube regarding xt10 and I am very much convinced that it will be a good camera to buy. I also want to buy the accessories needed for the camera. So I have a few qs in mind regarding the camera & the accessories. I will be much obliged if someone helps me out:

1. I live in a country where 99% photographers use either canon or nikon. So when I am asking for advice from someone, people are discouraging me to buy a Fuji. But I am really inclined to Fuji XT10 due to the form factor & quality. So what you guys suggest? 

The same will happen here. As Fuji users we will all say they are best but perhaps bear in mind that the majority of us have come from Nikon and Canon pro full frame kits (2 pro systems in my case) to use Fuji cameras and more are swapping all the time.

2. I am kind of unhappy that XT10 doesn't have OIS built-in. So what you say will it be a big deal shooting with XT10 with non-IS lenses? I am a smartphone photographer, so I know OIS is a big deal for smartphone photography. Should I wait for XT20 (or something like that)?

Fuji have stated that they do not intend to put IBIS (in body stabilisation) into any of their cameras. All the zoom lenses have OIS - none of the primes.

3. How good really is the kit lens (18-55mm) for the beginning? I like nature photography as well as street. But of course I will take portraits too. 

The kit lens is excellent for general use but not really long enough for wildlife and while it is long enough for portrature its small maximum apaerure at 55mm won't provide the best background bokeh - if you keep the subject away from the background there will be plenty of separation.

4. I have a bunch of 52mm filters. The kit lens has 58mm thread. If I use a 58-52mm step down ring, will it cause uncorrectable vignetting? 

Most likely yes. Consider not using filters. Digital does not need UV or Skylight filters. I only use a protective filter when the situation absolutely demands it -  safari, motocross, skiing, etc. The only filters I use are Infrared, neutral density and polarising for suppressing reflections.

Yes but you get one with the lens.

6. Suppose I plan to buy new filters. What will the best size to choose keeping in mind that in future I may broaden my lens collection. And if I buy bigger filters, what type of lens caps should I buy? What size more preciously.

7. Is anyone using 3rd party or different OEM lenses with XT10? How's the performance?

Lots of us use third party lenses with an adapter. Avoid long lenses which are difficult to focus manually while holding the lens still. The performance depends entirely on the lens in use. Some Nikons are excellent others show CAs. OLY are mostly good and Pentax and some very old ones. I currently have several 1960s/70s Minolta Rokkor. Some old russian lenses are really good but there is a wide variance in sample quality. Note that all 3rd party lenses are manual focus and either manual exposure or aperture priority auto. Auto ISO and ev compensation are still available.

8. What lens (Fuji or any other good ones) will be the best for a little bit wide angle distortion but not full fish eye effect?

Fuji's aim is avoid distortion. They make a 10-24 zoom and 14mm prime extreme WAs but many like the Samyang 12mm (not much worry about manual focus at these short focal lengths.

Wait until you buy the camera and make sure you actually need one - Fuji's are known for their low light high ISO performance so why not use it first.

Never used the LG G4 but the Fuji "kit lens" is widely accepted as the best.

Many many thanks if u have read this thread and many more thanks if you can help me with these.

BTW. Welcome!

Vic

The same will happen here. As Fuji users we will all say they are best but perhaps bear in mind that the majority of us have come from Nikon and Canon pro full frame kits (2 pro systems in my case) to use Fuji cameras and more are swapping all the time.

Fuji have stated that they do not intend to put IBIS (in body stabilisation) into any of their cameras. All the zoom lenses have OIS - none of the primes.

The kit lens is excellent for general use but not really long enough for wildlife and while it is long enough for portrature its small maximum apaerure at 55mm won't provide the best background bokeh - if you keep the subject away from the background there will be plenty of separation.

Most likely yes. Consider not using filters. Digital does not need UV or Skylight filters. I only use a protective filter when the situation absolutely demands it -  safari, motocross, skiing, etc. The only filters I use are Infrared, neutral density and polarising for suppressing reflections.

Yes but you get one with the lens.

Lots of us use third party lenses with an adapter. Avoid long lenses which are difficult to focus manually while holding the lens still. The performance depends entirely on the lens in use. Some Nikons are excellent others show CAs. OLY are mostly good and Pentax and some very old ones. I currently have several 1960s/70s Minolta Rokkor. Some old russian lenses are really good but there is a wide variance in sample quality. Note that all 3rd party lenses are manual focus and either manual exposure or aperture priority auto. Auto ISO and ev compensation are still available.

Fuji's aim is avoid distortion. They make a 10-24 zoom and 14mm prime extreme WAs but many like the Samyang 12mm (not much worry about manual focus at these short focal lengths.

Wait until you buy the camera and make sure you actually need one - Fuji's are known for their low light high ISO performance so why not use it first.

Never used the LG G4 but the Fuji "kit lens" is widely accepted as the best.

BTW. Welcome!

Vic

• Like 1

excalibur2811

Hi Dr. Nipun,

I just wanted to add that the comments you get when you mention that you might buy a mirror-less and especially a Fuji appear to be universally present. Even here in Malta I was advised to stick to Canon or Nikon; one enthusiast (a Canon owner) even solemnly informed me that "Fuji suffer from a green tinge in their photos".  

Well, please rest assured that none of that is true! I have an XT-1, which is more or less like your target camera and I can tell you that it is a great camera that gives excellent photos even in low light.  

As for legacy lenses, I have used Pentax K and Canon FD and Minolta, with adapters of course. I was a Pentax owner some 30 years ago and still had the camera (non-functional) with 50 mm kit lens. One K-mount adapter is all it took for me to be able to use that beautiful Pentax lens once again. And remember, with the EVF you immediately get to see how the final product will look.

Fuji cameras also continue to be supported by Fuji and they do seem to listen to their users, and as a result you get firmware updates being released from time to time. I don't think this is so common with Canon/Nikon (but stand to be corrected by those who have actually owned either).

The only single weakness (and I have not tried this myself) is said to be the video quality. But then you don't really buy this camera for taking videos.

Hope that helps.

John

• Like 1

Dr.Nipun

Thank you so much Mr.John. Yr observations will be of great benefit to me. 

wow....thank u so much for the elaborate reply. I highly appreciate yr comments. Can u clear out one thing that if Fuji doesn't want to add IBS, why not they make OIS primes? So should I buy some 3rd party or other OEM OIS prime lens suppose if I wanna buy a 50/60 mm prime??? Again thanks a lot.

RichardCFrost

If you want OIS in the camera body, at a similar price point to the X-T10, you need to look at the Olympus or recent Panasonic micro four thirds cameras, such as the OM-D E-M10 II or the GX7, or similar. 

I have recently switched from an Olympus OM-D E-M10 to the X-T10 and I don't really miss the stabilisation, even when I am using adapted vintage lenses. I switched because I prefer the ergonomics of the Fujifilm, the larger sensor size, the image quality and the awesome JPGs which come straight from the camera. I have no regrets.

• Like 1

Dr.Nipun

If you want OIS in the camera body, at a similar price point to the X-T10, you need to look at the Olympus or recent Panasonic micro four thirds cameras, such as the OM-D E-M10 II or the GX7, or similar. 

I have recently switched from an Olympus OM-D E-M10 to the X-T10 and I don't really miss the stabilisation, even when I am using adapted vintage lenses. I switched because I prefer the ergonomics of the Fujifilm, the larger sensor size, the image quality and the awesome JPGs which come straight from the camera. I have no regrets.

This is what I wanted to hear. Thank u so much for the comparison. I also heard about Olympus but then I thought micro 4/3 should not be much of a improvement over my LG G4 sensor. So I am more interested in Fuji.

veejaycee

Thank you so much Mr.John. Yr observations will be of great benefit to me. 

wow....thank u so much for the elaborate reply. I highly appreciate yr comments. Can u clear out one thing that if Fuji doesn't want to add IBS, why not they make OIS primes? So should I buy some 3rd party or other OEM OIS prime lens suppose if I wanna buy a 50/60 mm prime??? Again thanks a lot.

Just to be clear - the OIS or VR etc on 3rd party lenses will not work on Fuji bodies nor will they work on any other body than that they were made for except for Sony's latest range of A7II series full frame bodies which will accept via an adapter some Canon lenses with most functions working.

OIS, VR, in primes is a fairly recent introduction and they are not cheap. Fuji primes are made with ultimate image quality in mind and there is evidence that OIS, VR or even worse IBIS, can have a detrimental effect on Image quality. Even the Fuji 16-55mm f2.8 does not have OIS for this reason.

• Like 1

raagamuffin

Dr.Nipun,

As an amateur I use the Fuji X-T10 and I have liked it so far, previously having used an X-e1 and a Nikon D7K before that. I think most of your questions have been answered here, but one thought about OIS/IBIS. I have never felt that I missed a shot when I was shooting 14mm to about 60mm.

Regarding accessories, personally, all other things being equal, I have found that the X-T1 is a much better fit in one's hands. I have found that the Fuji grip is a good idea if going with the X-T10.

• Like 1

Dr.Nipun

Dr.Nipun,

As an amateur I use the Fuji X-T10 and I have liked it so far, previously having used an X-e1 and a Nikon D7K before that. I think most of your questions have been answered here, but one thought about OIS/IBIS. I have never felt that I missed a shot when I was shooting 14mm to about 60mm.

Regarding accessories, personally, all other things being equal, I have found that the X-T1 is a much better fit in one's hands. I have found that the Fuji grip is a good idea if going with the X-T10.

Hello Mr. Muffin,

Nice to hear the positive reviews from yr side. So I guess I will buy a prime also with the kit lens. Actually I was thinking maybe x20 will have OIS, but heard from other replies that there is very little chance of that. So there is no benefit waiting as the Fuji lens future lineup also doesn't show any OIS primes. Actually coming from smartphone photography, it's a very new world to me seeing DSLRs are still so behind in technology I.e. lack of OIS, wifi etc. Anyway thanks for the informative reply.