ishrios

Just ordered a X-Pro 1 ... Has anyone tried the 35 f2 on it?

Hey Folks,

Hope y'all are well! A little about myself, My first dance with fuji  was with the X100! loved it so much i bought a X-E1 when it was first launched!

I took them both to Japan for a vacation and ended up with some of my favorite images from those 2 cameras. 

I've since sold them and gone through the X100s and now own the 100t & X-T1. 

Like many here I've always been interested about the X-Pro1, However I came across a crazy deal on a slightly used pro1 that I couldn't resist. 

My original intent for the camera is to have it as a fun goof around camera and as a backup for gigs (rather than renting) . But the more I read about how better it performs with the firmware updates almost makes me wonder if its good enough to use for paid gigs. 

Im here to see if anyone has tried it with the 35mm f2. This is a blazing fast lens on my X-T1. So I was wondering if its speed matches up well with the xpro1 as i might just have that lens live on the pro1.

Would love to hear from you guys. 

Thanks!

I just tried it in somewhat low interior light and it focused quickly and quietly.  Yesterday outdoors it was pretty much the same. One other thing it does on the Pro 1 is make the camera seem slower.  Fortunately for me nothing I photograph these days requires speed.

Like you, Ishrios, I use an XT-1 and (just acquired) an X100T. I have an XPro-1 too but use it mainly with a 35 1.4 attached. So I can't answer your question directly but I can say that I love using the XPro-1. There is just something special about it. An indefinable quality. With the 35/1.4 the quality of RAWs is immaculate. It isn't, however, the fastest of combinations.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Chris

just got this lens using it on my X-Pro1 and love it, great prime lens. Reviews said it is a better lens than the 35mm f1.4 and got it at a good price for a limited time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeyveee said:

just got this lens using it on my X-Pro1 and love it, great prime lens. Reviews said it is a better lens than the 35mm f1.4 and got it at a good price for a limited time.

Enjoy it!! it is a fantastic lens.. Unfortunatly for me I sold my 35 1.4 version to buy the f2. However I missed my 1.4 so much that I ended up buying it once again.. I guess it isnt such a bad thing to have 2 35mm lenses. 

I found a crazy deal on a minty used one.

7 hours ago, joeyveee said:

Perhaps better to say "some reviews". The f2 lens is optimised for sharpness to the edges wide open at the expense of some sharpness in the center but loses some edge sharpness as the aperture is closed down and of course it is not as fast an aperture but is faster to focus. Many Pros are now either returning to or in fact kept their 1,4 lenses for pro work where the extra stop and resulting narrower depth of field is important, as a result the price of the f1.4 is now creeping up again. You will generally find that users will think whichever they have is best and thousands jumped on the f2 through GAS and talk of it being the next best thing while the more astute waited for the f1.4 to go on sale and to appear in greater numbers on the used market and swoop in for a bargain. I watched the news of the coming 35 f2 myself in the hope that it would have decent focus and DoF scales and be smaller in size. When it finally arrived, it had neither and with somewhat small max aperture my interest evaporated - even the size was a difference of about 2mm, only it's retro shape made it a little more useful with the OVF and it was is quieter in operation although I've never found my f1.4 to make enough noise to attract attention - my Nikons were noisier. Never had a lens been so over-hyped yet deliver so little more (IMO). For me and especially since the f2 lens at intro was more expensive than the f1.4 I think Fuji missed the chance to give users what they'd asked for - a quieter, faster focusing, more compact lens of moderate aperture with distance and DoF scales at a lower price than the f1.4 but they gave only the thing which were easy to provide and whatever kept their costs down - somewhat of a dumbdown. They used GAS for Leica-like style to sellthe lens - and it worked!

Users will be happy with whichever they have and that's how it should be. Very few users will see an obvious difference at common apertures without pixel peeping at charts and even then it's swings and roundabouts. Best to think of it as being blessed to have a choice of two very fine optics.

Since buying the 23mm f1.4 my 35mm f1.4 gets much less use (the 23, 14 and 16mm have the distance, DoF scales and manual focus control I prefer to use on wide angle lenses). For general purpose and especially for street, the 14 and 23 are now my workhorses and if I want longer I usually jump straight to the 60 or crop the 23 frame.

Edit: just posted this and I see that @ishrios has meanwhile confirmed my remark about previous f1.4 users now buying them back.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2016 at 8:14 AM, ishrios said:

Thanks Guys,

So far im liking the Pro 1... Its a great camera glad i jumped on it.

I agree, I have just purchased my second X-Pro1 body, £300, 2nh-hand but immaculate off fleabay.  Beautiful images, especially when married to any of the 3 original lenses, not that using the newer lenses causes any loss of IQ.  Anyway when I can afford a Pro2 I'll get one but for now the older version is doing me just fine!