Zaltin

Hi friends, 

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but couldn't find any for the x70. 

My issue is with the ISO settings: when I set it to "Auto 1" with a base of 200 and highest 3200, it ALWAYS shoots everything in 3200, which is super-irritating, needless to say. Even in good daylight it will shoot in 3200. Why is this, am I doing something wrong? 

All help most welcome, 

cheers, o. 

Christopher

Hi @Zaltin! Did you by chance set the camera's dynamic range setting to 400%? This will cause the camera to choose higher ISO's in general.

• Like 1

veejaycee

What else have you set - aperture to auto or manual and if so, which aperture? Shutter to what?

Zaltin
14 hours ago, Christopher said:

Hi @Zaltin! Did you by chance set the camera's dynamic range setting to 400%? This will cause the camera to choose higher ISO's in general.

I had the camera on 100 DR. When I changed it to AUTO DR, the ISO setting became "unstuck" (also changed to "Auto setting 2" and that helped as well, possibly.  

14 hours ago, veejaycee said:

What else have you set - aperture to auto or manual and if so, which aperture? Shutter to what?

I don't believe these settings you mention would influence ISO when it is set to AUTO, ISO should change whatever shutter och aperture setting? 

Christopher

Interesting, I'm not familiar with these different auto ISO settings, that must be part of the latest interface design with the newest cameras.

It can be difficult to keep track of all the different modes the camera may be in, despite the analog controls for most things, menu settings may sometimes override them. On occasion the analog controls still get me into trouble, I often forget to check if my exposure compensation dial is at +/- 0 before I head out for a shoot. It should get in the habit of setting all of my camera dials to a neutral position after each session, but I always forget.

• Like 1

artuk
1 hour ago, Christopher said:

Interesting, I'm not familiar with these different auto ISO settings, that must be part of the latest interface design with the newest cameras.

It can be difficult to keep track of all the different modes the camera may be in, despite the analog controls for most things, menu settings may sometimes override them. On occasion the analog controls still get me into trouble, I often forget to check if my exposure compensation dial is at +/- 0 before I head out for a shoot. It should get in the habit of setting all of my camera dials to a neutral position after each session, but I always forget.

with the greatest respect, the impression I get with the latest cameras/firmware (not owning one) is that there is sometimes a disconnect between the "manual" controls and other settings that can over -ride them (another thread talked about setting lens aperture to A and then using the front dial of the camera to,control - don't know if this is a feature or user error - I only cite it as an example because its fresh in my,mind). It becomes actually very confusing when a manual control says one thing, but does not represent the value (the kind of thing that gets aircraft glass cockpit design into problems too!). Fuji are not alone in this - Sony have added aperture rings to some of their premium lenses, which can lead to issues too. I often think the Apple Mac OS is a good exampl3 of this - I used it in,about 1986-89 when it was very clean and pure (as copied from Xerox PARC labs), whereas when I came across one 2 decades later, even I as a seasoned PC user was left unsure how to do things (does the red, amber or green dot minimize? How could you possibly tell?). I think its ofen the case that simple things become complicated over time, because of a lack of clarity to their ergonomics and design (things are added, possibly "bodged in", that break the original design principles etc). This is not a if at Fuji, just a view on good vs. bad design.

Personally I try to check my viewfinder, but sometimes forget - we've all taken bright daytime photos at iso3200 I'm sure!

• Like 1

Zaltin
10 hours ago, Christopher said:

Amen. I wholly agree. Although I love the X-Series cameras (proud owner of the XT-! and now the X70, I often find that I have forgotten to set some dial or setting to "neutral" before going on with the next shot/shooting: quite a lot of bells and whistles to keep track of!  

Thanks for your feedback and patience, everyone. 

o. 

• Like 1