roryp

X100T lens characteristics

roryp

I took ownership of a very lightly used X100T from eBay today and after taking quite a few shots on a local walk, I've noticed there's something a little odd about the image sharpness characteristics. I'd like to try and confirm if this is an issue with my X100T in particular or if it's just the expected result from this lens paired with a 16 megapixel sensor. 

I owned a first generation X100 that had a slightly de-centered lens that pretty much always rendered the right edge of the frame slightly softly, but now this X100T seems to produce softness at one or both sides of the frame at moderate apertures (~f5.6) at various subject distances, but not all the time. I've taken plenty of photos where it's sharp corner to corner, presumably ruling out de-centering. But in some shots where the focal point should be more than far enough away to result in infinite depth of field behind the subject, the background is inexplicably soft at the edges of the frame. Here's a full size sample showing this behaviour. The background is way softer than I would expect on left edge, extending about 1/4 into the frame. The right edge is slightly better, but still on the soft side to around a similar distance.

X100T-1.jpg

Is this just a limitation of the X100 lens and/or me being spoiled by the general quality of Fuji primes?

ChrisPoole

I've recently bought a lightly used X100T and have noticed exactly the same phenomenon, also on the left hand edge. I'm still putting the camera through its paces but, like you, I'd be interested to hear whether others have noticed this.

A couple of years ago I tried a Fuji 18mm on an XT1 and had something similar with that lens. It went back to Fuji for testing who replied that it was working to within expected parameters. 

Chris

roryp

Glad to know I'm not alone with this issue. I had the XF18mm, and while the left and right edges were often a bit soft, that always seemed to be a result of the heavy software based distortion correction and massive chromatic aberrations of that lens. I don't think that's the case with the X100 lens here.

ChrisPoole

I can see that you've had no other responses here but I wondered if you had pursued the issue elsewhere? I'd certainly be interested to hear whether the problem with the X100T is more widespread. Which would help me to decide whether to take it up with LCE (where I bought the camera).

Incidentally, I read somewhere recently that the problems with the 18mm were eventually acknowledged (by Fuji?).

roryp

No, I haven't. I've been shooting with the X100T quite a bit now and I find I can get consistently good results at f8. At f5.6 sometimes I get unlucky, at wider apertures than that I'm usually less interested in edge sharpness anyway so it's less of an issue. I think as a lot of people use X100s for street photography where critical edge sharpness is less of an issue/less noticeable than with landscape shots, so they just don't notice. I wrote up about my experiences of using the X100T for landscape work here: http://lightpriority.net/2016/05/spring-at-hardcastle-crags-with-the-x100t/

ChrisPoole

Thank you. I've read your review of the camera with interest.

Regards

Chris