Schuppi

My fotos from cologne cathedral

Schuppi

Hi my friends,

my fujifilm x-t10 and my just made an afternoon trip to cologne cathedral.

Have lots of fun.

Rainer

DSCF5145x.jpg

DSCF5175.jpg

DSCF5204.jpg

• Like 1

MarcoDebiasi

Rainer, welcome to this forum.

I am glad you are thoroughly enjoying your Fuji X equipment.

Of the three pictures above I think the second one is the best. The third one would also be nice were it not for the eerie blue/purple reflection on the water under the center of the Honenzollern Bridge.

artuk
3 hours ago, MarcoDebiasi said:

Rainer, welcome to this forum.

I am glad you are thoroughly enjoying your Fuji X equipment.

Of the three pictures above I think the second one is the best. The third one would also be nice were it not for the eerie blue/purple reflection on the water under the center of the Honenzollern Bridge.

Digital sensors tend to be very receptive to blues in a way that our eyes aren't - with the result that blue lights at night time can become over-saturated and out-of-gamut.  Sometimes they can be recovered from raw by desaturating the blue channel to make things look more "real". (In the day and other times, the red channel tends to clip and shift reds to orange).

I took a very similar picture to (1) when I visited Cologne for Photokina (2012 I think).

MadDog

Welcome to the Forum!!  Very nice pictures.  Love the framing and exposure.   Great job!!!   

Schuppi
17 hours ago, artuk said:

Digital sensors tend to be very receptive to blues in a way that our eyes aren't - with the result that blue lights at night time can become over-saturated and out-of-gamut.  Sometimes they can be recovered from raw by desaturating the blue channel to make things look more "real". (In the day and other times, the red channel tends to clip and shift reds to orange).

I took a very similar picture to (1) when I visited Cologne for Photokina (2012 I think).

Hi,

thank you four your helpful advice. I'll try this in future with this pic. Yeah: My raws are still available.

It's brilliant when they begin to illuminate the cathedral.

Foto Nunta

Magnificent images. Superb composition, color, contrast and sharpness

artuk
5 hours ago, Schuppi said:

Hi,

thank you four your helpful advice. I'll try this in future with this pic. Yeah: My raws are still available.

It's brilliant when they begin to illuminate the cathedral.

Welcome.  It had never really occurred to me until I was reading an article a few months ago which talked about the way sensors are sensitive to blue in a way our eyes are not (blue sky in night photos, deep blue polarisation when using wide angle lenses on blue skies in the day etc).

Night time photos with lots of coloured lighting can be tough to process, partly because the lights are often so much brighter than the rest of the scene (causing clipping or out of gamut) and partly as the lights are often intense colours which can cause strange effects like the one in your shot.

My only advice is use a camera with a sensor with very wide dynamic range, understand how the raw files will be when the camera jpeg engine reports clipping (clipping jpegs may be fine in raw, or vice versa, depending on camera, settings etc etc), expose to the point where the brightest lights in the scene are clipping (you can want to let some point sources clip, which may be unimportant to the scene), shoot raw, and then use some -ve exposure compensation when post processing, combined with some form of shadow lifting or dynamic range expansion in your chosen raw convertor (shadows, HDR, dodge and burn sliders and the like) to get the shadows and mid tones where you want them whilst avoiding extreme over exposure of the highlights in the scene.  I've been shooting a lot of night time city scapes recently, so it's at the front of my mind!

Hope that helps.  Private message for more info or advice if required.

• Like 1