Tacit

X-Pro2 Shutter priority mode broken?

Tacit

When I set Aperature and ISO to auto and shoot with manually set shutter speed the metering doesn't seem to work. 

Example. 

I set the Aperature to auto so the camera sets itself to 2.8 (widest Aperature on this lens), set the ISO to auto (camera sets itself to 800, again max), then when I set the shutter to 8000, the metering will read that it's good to go (right in the center) even though the image that results will be pitch black. 

Anybody else having this problem? Any solution to this problem?

thanks guys! 

Tacit

Upon further testing it appears this happens even when I set the ISO manually as well. 

Is auto aperature metering just busted?

veejaycee
7 hours ago, Tacit said:

When I set Aperature and ISO to auto and shoot with manually set shutter speed the metering doesn't seem to work. 

Example. 

I set the Aperature to auto so the camera sets itself to 2.8 (widest Aperature on this lens), set the ISO to auto (camera sets itself to 800, again max), then when I set the shutter to 8000, the metering will read that it's good to go (right in the center) even though the image that results will be pitch black. 

Anybody else having this problem? Any solution to this problem?

thanks guys! 

Hi Tacit and welcome.

I'm afraid this is user error my friend. There is not enough light for the settings you used. Just to show you - try the method most used which is Aperture priority. Set the aperture to f2.8, set Auto ISO to Min 200, Max 3200, set minimum shutter speed in ISO to 1/125 or close to it. Set the shutter dial to Auto. Half press the shutter to see what shutter speed is being set or take a picture and playback the image to see what shutter speed has been set. The camera will not choose a shutter slower than 1/125, it will increase ISO to a max 3200 unless you run out of light when it will then use a slower shutter speed just to get a result. Check the shutter speed used and that is the fastest you can set with that lens in that light.

To use a shutter speed of 1/8000 you will need a lot of bright light and probably an aperture of f1.4 which is 2 stops faster than you have. You are unlikely to need that high a shutter speed which is mostly used when a fast lens is being used wide open in bright light such as the 56mm f1.2 lens.

I would also advise that if you intend to use auto everything you could have saved yourself a lot of money but you have a fine camera so it's worth getting to know how to use it properly. My most kindly meant advice is to get some books on photography and read up especially on exposure and how aperture affects depth of field.

Regards, Vic

• Like 1

Tacit

Thanks for the response Vic. I really appreciate you reading through my post. 

But I think you've misunderstood. 

Im wondering why the meter isn't working when I set Aperature to auto and manually set shutter and ISO. 

I also don't appreciate the condisending tone you're using and would advise you refrain from making such rude assumptions. 

Thank you

veejaycee

My apologies but the way your post reads is as if you are expecting the camera to manufacture light and as this is your first post we know nothing about you or your experience. Perhaps if you did bother to introduce yourself and explain more clearly what is happening and what you are expecting to happen you will get a reply more to your liking.

My tone would not be condescending to a beginner who I took you for. Plainly I have misunderstood your question. I'm not sure whether you are complaining about the meter reading "good to go" or that the image is black and as I don't have the XP2 it's a waste of time me attempting to assist but I believe on the XP2 you have the option of assigning aperture/shutter to the front/rear control wheels and this had led to some (assumed) problems but as I still don't understand your question I cannot help further. Hopefully one our XP2 users will still chime in.

• Like 1

Tacit

I apologize. I'm didn't mean to sound to beligerent. 

However, when you tell someone who takes pictures for a living to get a cheap point and shoot because you don't know anything about cameras; it's difficult to take such comment in strides. 

Here's my question to any X-Pro 2 owners out there. 

When you're in full manual and you set the aperature to auto is your light meter functioning properly? 

Mine does not seem to be working. No matter what I do with my shutter or ISO settings the cursor sits in the center. 

Thanks again folks. 

artuk

I think it will be hard to answer the question as I am nit sure the problem and questions are easy to understand.

for example, you mention being in "manual" mode, the thread title is about "broken shutter priority", but then you talk about setting the aperture and auto ISO. So you have manually set an aperture and shutter speed? If ISO is auto then the camera can only use the range of ISO values you have configured in,auto ISO and I think the precious answer could be right - there simply isn't enough light when using a shutter speed of 1/8000s.

what metering mode are you using?

I'm completely confused by your final comment "no matter what I do with my settings the CURSOR stays in the centre". By cursor do you mean the meter needle?

if ANYTHING is set to auto then the meter needle SHOULD stay in the centre as the camera will always create a normal exposure where it can. Have you turned to "exposure preview" (not sure of the Fuji menu name for it - determines if the EVF shows a preview of actual exposure or not?). If disabled, the EVF will look normal and bright, even when the actual photo is dramatically under or over exposed.

it would also help to know what light or,situation you are trying shoot f2.8 1/8000s auto ISO, and what iso range you have set.

edit: Simple test, use a range of,shutter speeds from 1/8000s down to maybe 1/30s - is the picture always black?

• Like 1

darrenc

From my own use of the camera, I think what you are getting is normal. When shooting in shutter priority, the metering arrow stays at where you set the exposure compensation so if you set at 0 it should stay at 0. With the settings that I have assumed you have used (auto aperture f/2.8, 1/8000s and auto ISO up to 800) the camera should highlight the aperture in red when you half press the shutter meaning that it can't get any lower and the scene is wrongly exposed.

When shooting in aperture/shutter prioity the metering bar is actually just showing what you have set exposure comp. at.

When shooting fully manual or with only ISO set to auto, the metering should work normally and show you the exposure of the scene.

morpheme

I've a different camera model, but the metering system appears to work in the same way… I'm probably just restating what the others have already said, but here goes.

Perhaps you are more familiar with film cameras and old style metering displays. With digital cameras the display is more flexible. It can act like an old style needle meter (as it does when you are set to full manual) or it can give you other information. With the aperture set to auto the  + - scale on the side of the display only moves if you change the +- EV dial. It's showing you the exposure you are trying to achieve. The camera really is trying it's darndest to give you that perfect exposure that you are looking for, but it just can't . I'll bet the F2.8 at the bottom of the screen is showing up in red - that indicates that there's not enough light to give you a proper exposure even with the ISO at it's max and the F stop at it's widest at your chosen shutter speed. If you turn on the histogram you'll probably see that it also shows underexposure. 

So, no your camera is not broken, as the others have noted, there likely just wasn't enough ambient light to use an 8000th of a second even wide open. At that shutter speed, even at 800 iso and wide open, it would have to be a very bright sunny day. 

farrell
On 5/12/2016 at 3:07 PM, veejaycee said:

My apologies but the way your post reads is as if you are expecting the camera to manufacture light and as this is your first post we know nothing about you or your experience. Perhaps if you did bother to introduce yourself and explain more clearly what is happening and what you are expecting to happen you will get a reply more to your liking.

My tone would not be condescending to a beginner who I took you for. Plainly I have misunderstood your question. I'm not sure whether you are complaining about the meter reading "good to go" or that the image is black and as I don't have the XP2 it's a waste of time me attempting to assist but I believe on the XP2 you have the option of assigning aperture/shutter to the front/rear control wheels and this had led to some (assumed) problems but as I still don't understand your question I cannot help further. Hopefully one our XP2 users will still chime in.

I reached the same conclusion as veejaycee but elected not to weigh in at the time.

I don't own an Xpro2 but I did download the manual, as I always do when considering 

a new camera purchase.

As has been hinted at by others, you can have no reasonable expectation that the cursor

will move off the zero mark in any auto mode.

In any auto mode, the only way you will get that is by adjusting ex-comp.

Only in manual does that scale become an exposure meter.

There is homework attached to the control system, and it's not that hard. 

There was nothing inappropriate in veejaycee's response, nor in any other.

As to you being someone who "takes pictures for a living", that doesn't seem very

credible to me given your puzzlement with what you're seeing.

If you bought an Xpro2 in a brick-and-mortar store, I think any salesman would tell you

the same thing,

except maybe that last part.

Tacit

This is my first Fuji and the whole being able to set certain things in manual and keeping other things in auto had me a bit disoriented. 

Thank you Morph. Your answer was very helpful. It's good to hear that the camera is working as intended. 

Farrell, why show up and sneak in insulting jabs after more capable and articulate people have already answered my question? 

Is it a self esteem thing? Does it make you feel better to insult anonymous people on the Internet?

Franky2step

Just a thought...you said you set the aperture to AUTO and then the lens to f2.8. If you set the aperture to auto, you set the lens to "A", not a numerical value. That should be all you need to do.

farrell
14 hours ago, Tacit said:

This is my first Fuji and the whole being able to set certain things in manual and keeping other things in auto had me a bit disoriented. 

Thank you Morph. Your answer was very helpful. It's good to hear that the camera is working as intended. 

Farrell, why show up and sneak in insulting jabs after more capable and articulate people have already answered my question? 

Is it a self esteem thing? Does it make you feel better to insult anonymous people on the Internet?

Big talk for a guy who seems to have a severe problem with manuals;hence the acronym RTFM.

• Like 1