veejaycee

X-E1 Infrared 590 conversion

veejaycee

I added a few more IR images and added some wildlife into the mix. Like to know what you think.

Vic

large._DSF7416.jpglarge._DSF7430.jpglarge._DSF7486.jpglarge._DSF7513-2.jpglarge._DSF7515.jpglarge._DSF7528.jpg

• Like 1

ChrisPoole

Very nice images Vic. I have to confess a fondness for black and white IR. I used Kodak HIE film for many years and grew to love the effect when everything came together. Handling was tricky but I enjoyed the challenges. Could you say where you had your XE1 converted? Have you found some lenses better than others on the converted camera?

Regards

Chris

veejaycee

Thanks Chris. The B&W above was taken without even swapping to a new custom WB - I used the one for 590. The 850nm  lens filter was a cheap Neewer 58mm from Amazon at under £10. I also paid £17.50 for Zomei 62mm 850nm on ebay.

Most old film lenses seem to work okay. Certainly OLY Zuiko 50mm 1.4/1.8 and 75-150 f4. Minolta and M. Rokkor lenses too and most have DoF and distance scales on the lens barrel as you'll remember which, at least for wider angles is handy as you can set f5.6/f8 and set it on the lens barrel without worrying about absolute focus. I do this with my 14 and 23mm, my most used lenses. I never use AF with WA's although it works fine even with extra filters.

Of the Fujis 14mm f2.8 is probably best ever IR lens perfect wide to f8 which gives all the DoF you need. 16mm is okay at f4 and wider - a bit limiting. 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4 and 55-200mm all good. 18mm, 18-55 and 16-50XC are all hot-spot prone with the 16-50 XC also not focusing IR well. I think the big 16-55 f2.8 is good but not sure to what apertures. The 14, 23, 35 and 55-200 gives pretty much all the coverage you'll need for IR.

I had my XE1 converted by Isaac Szabo who charges less than a 3rd of the next cheapest convertor (even after trans Atlantic post). Lots of great feedback for his service on his website (link in his ebay ad). A little cheaper still if you go through his website to avoid fees and he accepts bank transfer/cheque but paypal too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191525696258?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ChrisPoole

Many thanks Vic. I'll look into it. Have to find a decent used XE1. 

MarcoDebiasi

Vic, interesting images.

For some reason I find the two color and the one B&W of the cemetery more appealing than the quasi- B&W (or quasi-color) ones of the deer and of the swan. I wonder how these would look in "real" colors.

You may also consider posting one of the wildlife images above (of which I personally like best the second of the deer) in the assignment of this month which in fact is wildlife. Some months ago you shared a couple of lovely images of a stag. As you appear to have access and fond in photographing animals in parks close to you, chances are you may take and share some more such images for this month's assignment.

ChrisPoole

I've now acquired a second-hand XE-1 and had it converted to IR by Advanced Camera Services. Mixed results so far but still experimenting. Images using a 10-24mm lens and a 35mm 1.4 are fine except for the colour casts which are a bit odd even for IR. I wonder if anyone (Vic?) could advise on white balance settings? I had it converted to 720nm.

veejaycee

Hi Chris a quick answer for now cos I'm piggy backing someone else's BB. Ideally do a custom white balance using grass, defocus to blur any gaps in the grass and save that custom WB and simply leave it set. I don't find it makes any difference if I use the custom WB for my 590 when I add a 720 filter or 850 BW. I even used auto. Ideally you will create a DNG IR profile for LR (Sure i put it on here somewhere),  - use an unadjusted IR raw file in LR - just r click and "export to DNG" send it to your desktop. Download Adobe Profile editor and open the file in there. Click colour matrice tab and move the WB to left - 100. name it and save it then export DNG profile (File menu). Restart LR and check camera profiles where you should find it under whatever name you gave. Using this profile greatly expands the WB range should you need it. Obviously only do this once and it will only be included in the list when XE1 is used. I tried a separate profile for 720 and 590 but there's no difference.

Process as normal but for red sky and blue foliage - normal changes to highlights shadows clarity and whatever. Export to PS & try auto tone/color/contrast whatever gives you a clearish separation of hues (not too deep but balanced - use colour change if necc to move red to blue and vice versa usually only for problem files tho - then open channel mixer in the red channel - move red slider to -100 and blue to + 100, open the blue channel and do the reverse. Name it and save as a preset for future use. From here on it's your taste and imagination. Swap colours if necessary with colour swap (use layers for from here on) using mainly top and bottom sliders mostly in midtones, use magenta green if magenta cast creeps in with blue saturation which is the next step (hence the layers to move back and forth). In hue sat use hue+sat in each of red, yellow, cyan, blue just slide them to what happens ie moving red hue R will go through gold-yellow green. adding the same in yellow will increase depth of yellow. Move cyan hue towards blue and blue like wise. For a deeor tone reduce lightness.

Just experiment really to see what does what and make each image your own creation - you can't do anything wrong if it's how you like it.

ChrisPoole

Thank you for this Vic. I'll have to sit and quietly digest all this info for which I'm most grateful.

Regards

Chris

franco

Great stuff Vic - IR conversion gets more and more tempting every time I see your images. Please keep them coming.

Stay well, Sir!

ChrisPoole

Here are a few first attempts with the converted XE-1.

The lightship image is, I think, more or less straight from the camera using a 10-24mm lens. The ship in real life is, of course, bright red in colour. I converted the other three to BW in Lightroom and made some adjustments. The Gloucester docks image was also with the 10-24mm lens, the two of Woodchester Mansion with a 35mm 1.4.

IGlou007.jpg

IWood040.jpg

IGlou012.jpg

IWood023.jpg

cosinaphile

the first set  really got me   some beautiful shooting ..... poetry