tuazon81

Leaving Battery in Camera

tuazon81

Not sure I'm I'm just being paranoid but is it ok to leave the battery for an extended period of time when storing the camera.

I kind hate rushing to put the battery in every time I want to take a photo of something that's happening very quickly when I'm at home.

I'm worried about battery leaks and it also seems like the battery drains faster when left in the camera even when it's turned off.

veejaycee

I guess it depends how long is long. I left batteries in my Nikons unused for 2 years with no problem - they did need a recharge. The camera contains a small battery which retains your settings, time, date etc and thee have been tales of those being discharged and not being able to recharge from the main battery as it should.

Maybe if you intend to leave the camera unused for a couple of years you should remove them or maybe contact Fuji for advice. For periods of 6 months or so you should not need to worry. This is assuming they are Fuji batteries - I've no idea if cheap 3rd party lenses are more prone to leak.

• Like 1

tuazon81
3 hours ago, veejaycee said:

I guess it depends how long is long. I left batteries in my Nikons unused for 2 years with no problem - they did need a recharge. The camera contains a small battery which retains your settings, time, date etc and thee have been tales of those being discharged and not being able to recharge from the main battery as it should.

Maybe if you intend to leave the camera unused for a couple of years you should remove them or maybe contact Fuji for advice. For periods of 6 months or so you should not need to worry. This is assuming they are Fuji batteries - I've no idea if cheap 3rd party lenses are more prone to leak.

Oh yeah, I'm talking about a week at most with OEM batteries.

K1W1_Mk2

LiIon batteries self discharge at about 5% per month so even 6 months is still only 30% discharged assuming they were fully charged at the start.

The days of batteries leaking are over. You would have to be very unlucky to have one leak. Statistically you are probably more likely to have one catch fire during recharge and that possibility is extremely remote.

• Like 1

dem

Leaving the battery in camera for a week or a month is absolutely fine.The X100T manual mentions batteries 164 times, for example, but does not say anything about removing them from the camera for some safety reasons. You might be looking for a problem that does not really exist.

Unlike their alkaline counterparts, the Li-ion rechargeable batteries (same type as in mobile phones, tablets, laptops) practically do not leak.

• Like 1

mikescri

I'd always thought that it was OK (or perhaps even good) to leave batteries in the camera, as VJC, Kiwi_Mk2 and dem say. But in moment of boredom I read the info sheet that came with a new Fuji NP-W126 battery and in the section 'Notes on storage' it says the battery should be run flat before storage and always (yes, it say 'always') removed from the camera when not being used. 

I checked other sources, and a site that claimed to be evidence based said that LiIon batteries last for more charge cycles if stored at about 30%-70% charge ( or someing like that - going from memory here).

So I guess the lawyers won over the technical evidence in writing the Fuji battery info sheet ... Unless anyone has evidence to the contrary?

farrell

If you fully discharge a li-ion battery for long-term storage as recommended for long-term storage it should be

removed from the camera.

If not, forget about it.

pluton

It is not recommended to store LiION batteries (or any common battery that I've heard of) at full discharge.  Best to store them at about 1/3, failing that 1/2, and failing that at full charge.  Storing them at full discharge is an excellent way to shorten their life.

• Like 2

veejaycee

I'm sure the OP is much clearer on that now. ;)

artuk
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:35 AM, dem said:

Unlike their alkaline counterparts, the Li-ion rechargeable batteries (same type as in mobile phones, tablets, laptops) practically do not leak.

no, instead they catch fire or explode! Haha

joking, though partly true, particularly if poor quality. Some airlines are getting very stringent about Lithium ion batteries in luggage, particularly power banks which can hold a great deal of energy and are mostly cheaply made no name devices. Malaysia Airline seems particularly hot on this, and I wonder if they believe a fire on board caused the loss of MH370.

With quality batteries there should be no issue at all leaving them in devices for many months. The only batteries I have had leaks with have been disposable alkaline types, not the kind of batteries fitted to cameras, phones, laptops etc. As others mention, they will drain over time (I seem to think there are options in the Fuji menu system that can increase battery drain when turned off - maybe high performance mode?). As Vic mentioned there is a tiny "battery" that is recharged from the camera battery to keep your settings when the battery is removed - not sure why this data isn't just stored onto flash memory -,probably because it would add $1 to the build costs.