JMA

X-Pro2 or wait for X-T2?

I have an unplanned trip to UK in September so I need to replace my X-T1 and x100s (that are already sold), but X-T2 or x200 may not be available for my trip, so my only option may be the X-Pro2 as I don't want to buy another X-Trans II camera.

I prefer X-T Line EVF, handling, and flexibility (tilt screen, rumored 4k video, battery grip, more physical controls, etc) but love the rangefinder style of the X-Pro/X100 lines, and while I like the HVF, I may miss the huge EVF of the T. Also I have big hands and find uncomfortable to hold the X-Pro with heavy lenses like the 23 and 56, so I'm not that sure about getting it, but I need a camera for my trip!

Have someone of you used both cameras that can tell me if I'll definitely miss the XT1 benefits...specially EVF/handling?

PS: I mainly shoot street, portraits, landscapes, weddings and social events

What is wrong with the XT-1 that causes you to "need" to replace it?

Surely it's better to use what you own rather than fall into the spell of GAS and the mythical camera that doesn't yet exist will solve all my problems theory.

• Like 1

Hire an XT1 for the trip... you must still have the lenses I guess.... do your trip... wait to see when the XT2 surfaces.... I guess Kiwi is asking why did you sell the XT1 in the first place.... ?

I find it interesting that JMA sold his gear and is without an X camera. Surely that is a crime in itself. :)

These X-T2 rumors are bad for making rational decisions, so let us know what you decide..

• Like 1

ajajajajaja guilty of that crime indeed @raagamuffin 

In my country/City is hard to sell Fuji Gear because almost all use canon or nikon DSRLs, so when I had an opportunity to sell the camera at a good price I took the risk...only issue is that I didn't had a trip planed then.... 

XT-1 is a very nice camera, but AF is not fast enough in low light for what I do...thats why I sold it @ramso @K1W1_Mk2. I want to give a try to the new AF on the X-T2 or X-Pro2.

I have a FF canon camera meanwhile, but because of the weight I not longer use it for trips..will wait an see what happens... maybe I'll be renting an x-body as @ramso suggest or If I had no option I'll have to give the canon their last trip.

I personally am holding out(as long as I can)for a 24mpx xcam with a basic

no-frills electronic EVF.

The XE form factor would be nice.

I have contributed much too generously to Canon/Nikon/Fuji's Camera Of The Year programs. 

• Like 1

Don't mess about. Just get the XPro2, or you will be waiting around forever. If, by the time the X-T2 or X200 comes out, and you still feel you must have one of those, then sell the XPro2. Waiting for something which has not even been announced yet is not an option. As is being without a camera.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.

I have no interest in any sub-24mpx Fuji.

I own 3 16mb xcams and they are all good.

Just committing my dreams to print.

@farrell, my advice was to JMA, the original poster. I appreciate you know your own mind. Like you, I am committed to the Fuji architecture. I am happy with the learning and output I am getting from my X-T10. It suits me whilst I develop my skills and lens collection, whilst providing great quality images. I will only look to upgrade from this body when there is a significant technological reason to do so, or my camera gets broken or stolen.

9 hours ago, RichardCFrost said:

@farrell, my advice was to JMA, the original poster. I appreciate you know your own mind. Like you, I am committed to the Fuji architecture. I am happy with the learning and output I am getting from my X-T10. It suits me whilst I develop my skills and lens collection, whilst providing great quality images. I will only look to upgrade from this body when there is a significant technological reason to do so, or my camera gets broken or stolen.

I am undeniably tempted by the XPro2 for its 24mpx sensor and I don't expect Fuji to publish an

a la carte menu anytime soon, so at some time I will probably spend the money and enjoy the

camera.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:42 PM, JMA said:

ajajajajaja guilty of that crime indeed @raagamuffin 

In my country/City is hard to sell Fuji Gear because almost all use canon or nikon DSRLs, so when I had an opportunity to sell the camera at a good price I took the risk...only issue is that I didn't had a trip planed then.... 

XT-1 is a very nice camera, but AF is not fast enough in low light for what I do...thats why I sold it @ramso @K1W1_Mk2. I want to give a try to the new AF on the X-T2 or X-Pro2.

I have a FF canon camera meanwhile, but because of the weight I not longer use it for trips..will wait an see what happens... maybe I'll be renting an x-body as @ramso suggest or If I had no option I'll have to give the canon their last trip.

in most countries, Canon and Nikon have the largest user base. It varies between Asia (where mirrorless is most popular), Europe (quite popular), and North America (bot so popular). In mirrorless, Fuji is third in the market behind Sony and Olympus. Canon in particular seems to be the make for the herd, who seem to buy it because everyone else has one, so it must be good, right?

Is there any consensus on,whether the XPro 2 focusing is any faster? The focusing speed seems to be at least a function of the lens used, since many are externally focusing, so the focus throw seems to have a not insignificant impact.

what's the point in hiring a camera you used to own and sold because it didn't meet your needs?

I just sold my xpro1 to a close friend and used the money to fund a X-Pro 2.. I got a crazy deal on one so I figured ill keep it until the X-T2 is announced and if its for me selling the pro2 for the T2 then ill do it. If not then hey the Xpro 2 it is. 

• Like 1

I've been using, and loving, the X-T1, since not long after it came out. It reminds me of my last film SLR, the Contax 139.

However, I found the rather faux retro, a bit naff, to be honest. Like the fake pentaprism hump, and the return to greasy nose splodge in the middle of the LCD.

I know the X-Pro 2, is really equally as fraudulent, when it comes to the reality of it's retro "rangefinder" looks, but it seems to have more reason to look like it does than the X-T1. Also, I had an X-E2, and I loved the handling on that. I enjoyed the ability to use both eyes when shooting, and of course, no GNS on the LCD.

However, the story doesn't end there. The X-T1 has a flippy LCD, so you can get that TLR look without even thinking about it. Also very handy for low shots, overheads, and surreptitious candids. Fantastic.

There is a lot to miss, from the X-T1, on the X-Pro 2, so the temptation is there, to stick out for the X-T2. Both will have same sensor, and probably identical IQ, they'll both have the focus point joystick. The X-T1/2 will still have the tilting screen, the X-Pro 2, still won't.

Fortunately, providence has stepped into this dilemma, via a rather eccentric friend. He paid out full release price on the X-Pro 2, took it out on a couple of shoots, and decided he didn't like the handling. He's offered it to me for £1000. It seems rude to say no.

Interestingly, my eccentric friend, and I came to this point via a different route. I went, film, 30+ years, various huge Canon rigs, X100,X-E2, X-1, whereas he went straight to X-T1 from full frame Canon. He's also just 30, so doesn't really have a muscle memory, for dials, and rings etc (yet took to the retro controls on the X-T1 straight away)

He also seems to have plenty of money, now has his heart set on the X-T2, and just wants rid of the X-Pro 2. If things pan out, I may be able to raise that thousand this month. Then I'll be in the rather silly position, for a non professional, of having 2 bodies, (that can't last, but I'll decide later)

It occurs to me that this is my most sensible course of action, anyway. I'd have to wait for the X-T2 to be released, and drop in price by a third. That could take a while.  I'd also have at least one body to sell, should I favour the X-T1 handling wise, etc., and hanker after the X-T2. 

Cheers all, J :-)

On 6/7/2016 at 2:34 PM, JMA said:

how is your experience with the X-Pro 2 so far @ishrios??? specially the HVF

Hey!

OK here it is.. The camera first off feels really amazing in the hands.. It just sits perfectly without a hand grip, Its kind of weird but its very comfortable. 

The camera is quirky.. I can care less for the optical view finder as I never use them unless its a dslr. However the Evf is ok, I feel like the eye hole could of been larger like the x100t. It feels like the 100t has a larger EVF possibly due to the larger eyesight hole.

However I can get used to it.

With that being said the X-T1 EVF for me takes the cake.. Its just so much more comfortable to shoot with. 

The HVF is very noisy also.. Every time the sensor activates movement to the viewfinder if you have it set to evf or if you switch between ovf/evf with the lever it will click over the options and its a Loud click, louder than the X100t. 

The next thing I noticed is that it seems to me that the Pro2 has a slightly slower auto focus and not as responsive as the X-T1. The T1 seems to be that much snappier and consistent vs the pro2. Im not sure what it is maybe I have some setting off but I feel like the pro 2 is a tad slower than the X-T1. 

For example, I've  had the 35mm f2 on both cameras and it tends to hunt a bit more on the Pro2 than the Xt1.

Lastly the Shutter release button with a soft release screwed on feels a bit shaky.. There seems to be a bit more give on it vs the x100t. But this is minimal. 

Other than that I like the cam. 

Please note that im not in any way knocking the Xpro2.. I have owned a X-Pro1 and I can tell you the pro 2 is way beyond what the pro 1 was. However for the amount of money the Pro2 costs I feel there has been a few (Minor) things that were overlooked. 

These are just my first impressions.

I bought it for my upcoming trip to Japan later this month. The trip will help me decide if I should keep it or sell it when I return home. 

Thanks for reading. 

Id appreciate any help or comments. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ishrios said:

Hey!

OK here it is.. The camera first off feels really amazing in the hands.. It just sits perfectly without a hand grip, Its kind of weird but its very comfortable. 

The camera is quirky.. I can care less for the optical view finder as I never use them unless its a dslr. However the Evf is ok, I feel like the eye hole could of been larger like the x100t. It feels like the 100t has a larger EVF possibly due to the larger eyesight hole.

However I can get used to it.

With that being said the X-T1 EVF for me takes the cake.. Its just so much more comfortable to shoot with. 

The HVF is very noisy also.. Every time the sensor activates movement to the viewfinder if you have it set to evf or if you switch between ovf/evf with the lever it will click over the options and its a Loud click, louder than the X100t. 

The next thing I noticed is that it seems to me that the Pro2 has a slightly slower auto focus and not as responsive as the X-T1. The T1 seems to be that much snappier and consistent vs the pro2. Im not sure what it is maybe I have some setting off but I feel like the pro 2 is a tad slower than the X-T1. 

For example, I've  had the 35mm f2 on both cameras and it tends to hunt a bit more on the Pro2 than the Xt1.

Lastly the Shutter release button with a soft release screwed on feels a bit shaky.. There seems to be a bit more give on it vs the x100t. But this is minimal. 

Other than that I like the cam. 

Please note that im not in any way knocking the Xpro2.. I have owned a X-Pro1 and I can tell you the pro 2 is way beyond what the pro 1 was. However for the amount of money the Pro2 costs I feel there has been a few (Minor) things that were overlooked. 

These are just my first impressions.

I bought it for my upcoming trip to Japan later this month. The trip will help me decide if I should keep it or sell it when I return home. 

Thanks for reading. 

Id appreciate any help or comments. 

Have you tried making the focus box smaller to the extent it is smaller than your aiming point? There have been complaints of missed focus if the box is not sized properly and it is just a short step from that to the AF hunting between subject and background. Otherwise, reports of AF speed are mostly very positive.

Thanks for the input @ishrios !!

yes, I remember noticing that HFV noise on my X100S when changing menus also, I didn't particularly liked it, but not a deal breaker.

I look forward for your pics and impressions on your Japan trip.

@Christopher Hi Christopher, 

Yes I have upgraded the firmware for both the camera and the lens.. Still not much change in results. 

@veejaycee I have tried making the focus box smaller. I have also changed between the amount of focus points available. However this shouldnt really be the deciding factor in speed difference between cameras. I always shoot with the largest focus box on the XT-1 and it is still faster than the smallest/largest box on the xpro2. 

@JMA No problem I hope it helped. The HFV noise in the X100 series cameras are still much quieter than the pro 2. The x100 has a smooth swosh type sound as the pro 2 has more of a flick sound, the best way I can describe is that it sounds just as loud as the electronic shutter sound. But you are right its not a deal breaker. 

Im looking forward to using it on this trip. Ill keep you posted on my further thoughts .. 

thanks guys!

• Like 1