Sign in to follow this  
Iansky

Slimbridge Wildlife Wetland Trust

Iansky

I collected my 100-400 on Sat morning and went with my fellow photographer and friend to Slimbridge Wildlife Wetland Trust.

I am not a bird watcher or enthusiastic nature photographer but thought it offered a good chance to try out the new lens on the X-pro2.

My feelings.....................Wow, this is one incredible lens!

Sorry this is image heavy and for interested parties, the full set can be seen here: http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/slimbridge.html

Slimbridge 5.jpg

Slimbridge 8.jpg

Slimbridge 20.jpg

Slimbridge 23.jpg

• Like 1

MadDog

Wow those are incredible images.  Really shows off the new lens/camera body combo in a special way.  Of course your talent is up there with the best of them, too.  Thanks for sharing!!   Curious on the last image, the pink bird, did you use spot metering or center weighted?

• Like 1

RichardCFrost

I don't wish to seem churlish, but since you are posting pics, you would expect to get feedback.

On this set, and those on the beasties in your other thread, I am struggling to know where to look, as the focus is just not to my taste. It seems as though you have gone for the widest aperture possible in order to pull the subject away from the background, but this has given you such narrow depth of field that at times there's almost nothing in focus. Take the baby bird for example. It looks like the head is in focus but the rear leg is definitely not. Maybe it was moving. In the adult bird and baby bird shot, the baby is too soft for me and distracts from the adult, which is in focus. Or the caterpillar in your other set. The body is in focus but the hairs aren't. Now that might be what you wanted but I find it personally quite distracting.

I hope you find this personal feedback constructive. Others may disagree and find the focus just fine. Personally, I try not to worry too much about tack sharp focus on my street shots or when working vintage lenses, but I think wildlife, unless you are portraying a sense of movement, needs to be sharp. And it's hard. I get that.

In other aspects, these sets are beautiful. My favourite is the flamingo, that's a really interesting shot, although maybe the framing is just a little tight. Did you crop out the feathers at the right edge or were they off frame. I think I would have tried to include them for balance, to see the whole animal.

Anyway, well done. That's an awesome combo you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Iansky

Thank you both for the feedback, MadDog the bird was a flamingo that was trying to get a rest........without much success!!

Richard, thank you for your comments and of course I am happy to get feedback, the lens used was the 100-400 and as it was new ( only collected that morning) I was trying it out, I am perfectly happy with the images and I agree that the compression does pull the images from the background which was the idea.

I think you summed it up by your statement the focus is not to your taste, photography is very subjective and what one will not like, another will. I am fine with the baby bird shot and the focal point was the head rather than the whole body deliberately as I was trying to see how the lens performs - the caterpillar was shot at 5.6 and works for me, when I review the Tiff the foreground hairs & body are in focus falling off further back......again it works for me, the Cormorant with its chick was shot at f8 and 1/220s to see how the OIS performs, when I look at the Tiff version it looks fine - these are under 300pix from a large Tiff so compression of image/pixels does detract and again the baby bird was at 1/210s.

The good thing about forums is that they do encourage feedback and it will always be subjective or our photography would be very boring so thank you for raising the points you have and I hope my response serves to explain the results posted - again, I am sorry they are not to your liking but again, that is photography!

RichardCFrost

Oh I do like them, for sure. I very much appreciate you sharing your experiences with the new lens. As you said, each person's tastes are different. I think you may have hit the nail on the head though with your comments on the compression. I did click through to the full size versions but they are still compressed.

Did you use a tripod or were these handheld? I'm wondering how heavy the lens makes the combo.

Iansky

Thanks Richard,

Even at full size they are still very much small JPEG's from Tiff originals so will suffer quality compression and quality loss - nature of JPEG's under 300Kb from large Tiffs.

All hand held as the lens is very small and light in comparison to my Tamron 150-600 used on my full frame, totally silent and quick to focus so if the new XT2 is as good as I hope/expect I will be parting company with the large & heavy full frame in favour of Fuji.