Dennis

Faked aging on modern retro cameras...

veejaycee

I wonder how many would actually buy a used camera in genuinely well worn condition and how much they would be willing to pay, more - or less? - I notice a couple of our resident pros have well worn X cameras and of course it doesn't matter if they do the job.

franco

I actually like some of these examples - though I would never dream of doing it myself. Natural ageing does add character (not to say a little grumpiness) - and I'm of the age now where my Billingham's are gloriously ragged. I have an L.2 (pictured here - its my work bag) and the original 25 back-pack which look wonderfully shagged. 

And don't even try to tell me that new Converse look good.... :-)

I'll allow my camera gear to age in the natural way. 

26970857383_907569d6a7_z.jpg

• Like 1

pominpocket

It was way back when I first of all brassed my XE1 then sanded it later just like the Xpro 1 in one of the articles. Did I get a lot of flak on this site. I still own it I also have a pristine X pro 1 and a pristine X100S which will not get sand papered 

Anyway yes at the time there were companies aging and brassing cameras. I have in storage 2 Nikon bodies that are film cameras and they are both brassed. 

I do not see it as a hipster thing anymore than the 'false rangefinder retro ' thing is hipster. Most of the cameras look like film range finders or SLR's and I think a lot of people switch to Fuji for the looks.     

Personally I like an aged worn out camera with an old leather bag to carry it in. Or a bashed about Billingham. But from now I will let my cameras age naturally.  

johnwillyums

This is why Fuji X cameras are swiftly becoming the trendy camera.

They've done something different, produced a retro boutique gadget, a camera!

Actually expanding the market for cameras, and thereby photography, is no bad thing. If Fuji's wonderful cameras appeal to hipster's they will know, it's really uncool to have something you don't use, and don't really know much about. So they will use the camera, and become photographer's. Maybe that's what already happen's, who knows? ;-)

As for deliberately ageing one's camera, or paying more for a specially aged one. I'm afraid that is terminally uncool, and always will be. Hipster's will know this.

Anyway, I'm really OCD, until I get my first dint, or scratch, after that, it's just a camera. I still look after it, but I don't love it, like I did when it was mint :-)

PS Have to admit to being a raw denim fetishishist as well, I'm waiting on delivery of a pair of 25oz GSM denim jeans. I Imagine they will stand up on their own :-) I won't age those artificially, either.

• Like 1

FreshOuttaFocus

** grave-digging**

This Ricoh GR looks SWEET IMO, But then again - I own a 77 Honda Civic hatch, and a 68 Datsun 510 coupe. I do like something that looks like it knows how to win a bar fight. :)

RICOH GR - DISTRESSED

RNBT0_IF.jpeg