Dennis

Faked aging on modern retro cameras...

I know very well that this can (re-)trigger some heated discussions - I know @pominpocket will agree, but I just want to share a couple of images I recently spotted. "Brassing" or "faked aging" (link to article on this transformation art) is not everyone's cup of tea, but here we go. The recent Lenny Kravitz Edition of the Leica M-P 240 (link) has stirred up quite some debates on this hipster phenomena - quite understandable as there is nothing real about it and it seems odd that this fake worn-out look adds anything.

For sure my wrinkles (and they are real by now) and the corrosion on my car does not increase market value in any way. My worn-out Levi's might be a different story...

Anyway, this dude (on a competing forum) accidentally scratched his new X70 and then decided to go full monty with a bit of sanding paper:

2016_0509_10550600-01_zps9r6k8yhr.jpeg

2016_0509_10532100-01_zpse6wosj1t.jpeg

PicsArt_05-31-12.25.08_zps8nkdx4go.jpg

There are some brilliant remarks in the discussion pointing out that using the Fujifilm film simulation (or indeed any post-processing) is also "fake" and even the styling itself of Fujifilm X series cameras is borderline faking.

In the thread, some images of a bruised X-Pro 2 also appear:

X-Pro2_BK_AkiraSakamoto-11-720x405.jpg

Not sure who did the above, but Fujifilm did their own version and in a recent article on the design work  (with many interesting mock-ups displayed) and production facilities (link), one images show an X-Pro 2 having undergone some  simulated aging process for testing. And this is serious business; Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) techniques are important in uncovering many of the weak links of a new product and test the durability of a product . Normally products that have undergone such testing are been scrapped, but I would say in this case, this X-Pro 2 looks quite good and has at least the same amount of character added as any "Lenny Kravitz Edition" - could be just as relevant a releasing a silver version...

highres-Fujifilm-X-Pro2-Aged-2_145299258

Could be interesting to see what the simulated aging has done to the LCD - hope it had some Gorilla glass fitted...

• Like 1

The camera belongs to an individual and they can do whatever they want to it IMO. Some artificial aging attempts are better than others. I think both of the examples above look pretty well done but I wouldn't do it to my cameras I prefer natural battle scars.

28 minutes ago, K1W1_Mk2 said:

The camera belongs to an individual and they can do whatever they want to it IMO. Some artificial aging attempts are better than others. I think both of the examples above look pretty well done but I wouldn't do it to my cameras I prefer natural battle scars.

I don't treat my cameras like jewelry but I don't go out of my way to beat them up either.

This concept of "camera aging art" is new to me but anyone has the right to it without a

visit from a Public Safety Officer for camera abuse.

Hideous and pointless, best practiced by the bearded hipsters who clearly think how the camera looks is more important that its function as a tool.

• Like 3

People who do this are a bit cracked in my opinion. I treat cameras as they should be. They are a precision instrument and should be treated as such, surely. Not too sure what they are trying to do. Just  "Arty Farty" I guess. But it's their gear!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kiwiana said:

People who do this are a bit cracked in my opinion. I treat cameras as they should be. They are a precision instrument and should be treated as such, surely. Not too sure what they are trying to do. Just  "Arty Farty" I guess. But it's their gear!

I agree but their right to be a bit cracked is undeniable.

As for engaging in heated debate on the matter I am too old and tired and the issue if any is unworthy.

• Like 2

I like things to be pristine. I wash and vacuum my car regularly and I hate the thought of scratching a camera or dinging a surfboard. Fake ageing is also pretty popular in guitars these days with people both purposely banging them around and also seeking out genuinely worn models. I have 3 guitars - none of them have a scratch and if they did I'd probably attempt to repair them. Each to their own.

18 hours ago, Dennis said:

In the thread, some images of a bruised X-Pro 2 also appear:

X-Pro2_BK_AkiraSakamoto-11-720x405.jpg

Not sure who did the above

This pic is from the Fuji X home page so I'd say this is the one they did - http://fujifilm-x.com/cameras/x-pro2/

I guess the same people who do this also buy ultra expensive aged/ordinary looking camera bags to pose with and look pro. However - I of the first age group to grow up wearing jeans as a fashion - Levys of course that had to be washed umpteen times before I would wear them until stonewashed denims came to the market. Does anybody know anyone who wear blue jeans these days or even denims without holes?

43 minutes ago, veejaycee said:

I guess the same people who do this also buy ultra expensive aged/ordinary looking camera bags to pose with and look pro. However - I of the first age group to grow up wearing jeans as a fashion - Levys of course that had to be washed umpteen times before I would wear them until stonewashed denims came to the market. Does anybody know anyone who wear blue jeans these days or even denims without holes?

actually there is a subculture within jeans owners who prize completely unwashed and typically very heavy weight denim, to give a deep indigo colour. They are often made from Japanese sourced denim - very expensive - and the owners often prefer not to wash them to keep their deep colour. They seem quite popular in SE Asia amongst those who can afford them - there is now a burgeoning market in Thailand for locally made boutique denim and also custom hand made to order, both of which come at a price anywhere between between 100-400 sterling. There may be an irony that the hipsters who buy them also like distressed cameras - who knows!

7 hours ago, veejaycee said:

I wear 10-USD made-in-China jeans from my local Walmart unless shorts are compellingly indicated.

Is it only Fuji X series cameras that attract this sort of faking fettish? I don't follow forums about other camera brands, so it's a very innocent question ...

@mikescri I don't think this is a Fujifilm specific thing - but it has only little to do with the photographic capabilities of the camera.

When Pentax launched the MX-1 compact, the brass capping (which is hidden underneath the black or silver paint) was emphasized as a significant feature of the camera - it is even marked on the exterior of the camera (on the pop-up flash). The press release on the camera back in 2013 held these passages:

"...Classic and refined design 
   With its textured-rubber grip, and brass top and
   bottom covers that develop a distinctive
   appearance after years of use..."

"...the MX-1 develops a stunning patina
   impressing a history on the camera with each
   use..."

MX-1_image_brassB_catalog.jpg

More here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/digital-compact/mx1.html

And this guy has sanded/polished it down to check out the brass:

pentax-mx1-brassed.jpg

https://www.ephotozine.com/user/joshwa-136701/blog/retro-digital-camera---the-pentax-mx-1-10185

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikescri said:

Is it only Fuji X series cameras that attract this sort of faking fettish? I don't follow forums about other camera brands, so it's a very innocent question ...

well, Leica will sell you one of their olde worlde cameras with this effect pre-done at the factory (along with a whole range of other special editions in various unattractive coloured and printed leathers which often tie-in with random things like the 10th anniversary of London Fashion week or a body "designed" by Tom Ford or something) - then you can out it in its presentation box in your display cabinet and demonstrate to all your visitors how rich and exclusive you are.

I don't think Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Panasonic or Sony users have any interest in such things.

this faked aging on products made from materials quite different from their forebears (despite the look-a-Leica styling) is mostly one for the hipsters, who want to bask in some strange reflected glory of products they never had and are too young to remember. Or they're just slightly bonkers or something. I guess its the physical equivalent of all those hideous camera phone filters that make photos look crap and antique  - a kind of prophylactic nostalgia to make the banal seem interesting.

• Like 3

the pictures in the links don't seem to show.

i have several new lenses which have lens hoods with metallic type paint which annoyingly is starting to wear on edges and chips from abrasion with other things in my bag. I was quite annoyed about it as it makes them look old, badly cared for and would reduce any resale value of the lenses which are all bo more than 2 years old.

little did I know it could make me a hipster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, artuk said:

the pictures in the links don't seem to show.

i have several new lenses which have lens hoods with metallic type paint which annoyingly is starting to wear on edges and chips from abrasion with other things in my bag. I was quite annoyed about it as it makes them look old, badly cared for and would reduce any resale value of the lenses which are all bo more than 2 years old.

little did I know it could make me a hipster.

I look old and badly cared for.

Does that make me a hipster?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichardCFrost said:

I look old and badly cared for.

Does that make me a hipster?

I don't think that's how it works - you just need to get one of those bushy hipster beards or an excessively groomed and affected looking moustache, some very skinny trousers, and ideally spend you time in artisan coffee shops with Japanese magazines about coffee grinders using your Apple device for hours because they have free wifi and you are so cheap (possibly because you've spent all your money on Apple devices) that you can't afford your own internet connection (oh I forgot, most iPhones can't be used as a wireless hub, can they?  oh dear, how quaint).  it's also important the hipsters who run the coffee shop take 20 minutes to make 1 coffee, and ideally they might have some Instagram styles photo art on the walls

• Like 2

@artuk You forgot that the trousers have to have 3 inch turn-ups and finish just above the ankle. The checked shirt should have sleeves rolled up to reveal tattoo sleeves on each arm. And the hair must be short back and sides with a long swept back top.

Now if only I had hair.

Err, I think we might have wandered a little off topic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichardCFrost said:

@artuk You forgot that the trousers have to have 3 inch turn-ups and finish just above the ankle. The checked shirt should have sleeves rolled up to reveal tattoo sleeves on each arm. And the hair must be short back and sides with a long swept back top.

Now if only I had hair.

Err, I think we might have wandered a little off topic.

yes, a 1950s slicked back quiff but with short possibly asymmetrical sides, and definitely trousers too short and checked shirts are de rigeur (I'm not sure how hipster-dom deals with things all being so clichéd?).  It also helps if you try to look like a Canadian lumberjack but have an affected metro-sexual asexual persona, and cheesy "retro" tattoos in a kind of ironic crap 1950s style (boat anchors, ships, pin up girls) are definitely cool.  Apologies for first missing these key additional elements.  I think definitely Fuji or Lomo users though - Nikon, Canon, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony are far too corporate for them, although most will just use the ultimate counter-culture device - Apple.

edit: that look has become slightly popular in Thailand now, where the haircut mixes a slightly traditional style of longer on the top and parted but with very short sides.  However, since Thailand has long had a sub-culture of motorbikes and tattoos etc (I have several Harley riding friends there who are tattooists) and everyone has very thick straight dark hair, they generally look quite cool as it's done without the affectation of Hoxton in London. 

Edited by artuk
added insights abroad
  • Like 1

meh - who needs sandpaper…. just actually use the thing a bit and you'll get some wear naturally. My XE-1 is sporting some gaffer tape on the bottom right where I was rubbing off the faux leather and several of the corners and the plastic near the Q button are "brassed" - except that the plastic underneath is black… I really should replace the badly mangled polarizing filter though...

• Like 1

On 6/20/2016 at 10:30 PM, artuk said:

Hideous and pointless, best practiced by the bearded hipsters who clearly think how the camera looks is more important that its function as a tool.

Whether mistakenly or not, I don;t think I'm a hipster, but I did stop shaving and started clipping 40 years ago.

• Like 1

hmmmm I think the general age around here (present company included..) is a bit on the elderly side to be considered to be hipsters - 20's to 30's . I think cranky old fogey is probably much closer to correct. Now get out of my yard and no you can't have your ball back.

• Like 1

As long as people don't take the whole thing too seriously (as in the Lenny Kravitz Signature Edition Leica), I think the DIY aged cameras look kinda cool. It's not like they're throwing it down the stairs, they're just scratching or sanding the finish.

• Like 1