Raiko

Third Party Lenses for X-T10

Hi guys,

I've recently got myself a X-T10 and i'm looking for some third party lenses to play around with. I've been looking at Russian (USSR) ones like Helios, Jupiter Industar.

I would like to get 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm lens.

Any recommendations welcome.

Rokinon/Samyang makes good quality lenses for Fuji X-mount.  All focal lengths you mentioned are available.  Also, they are reasonably priced.  One thing to have in mind - they are manual focus on Fuji X-mount.  (I can only comment on 12mm which is excellent but you are not interested in that one).

Here's one link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185691-REG/rokinon_rn50m_fx_50mm_f_1_2_aps_c_w_a.html#customerReview

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raiko said:

Hi guys,

I've recently got myself a X-T10 and i'm looking for some third party lenses to play around with. I've been looking at Russian (USSR) ones like Helios, Jupiter Industar.

I would like to get 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm lens.

Any recommendations welcome.

The lenses you mention along with such as early (1960s/70s)Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2, 58mm f1.2 are excellent but some quirks that endear them to some but which others dislike. Flare which can usually be controlled and bubbly bokeh for instance. These are usually called "character lenses". and they do indeed impart character that is missing from modern ultra sharp ultra contrasty mulit-coated lenses. Slightly later builds will have better sharpness, contrast and coating and I can recommend both later Minolta and Minolta Rokor and Olympus Zuiko lenses. Nikon AI/AIS can be hit and miss with possible CAs but IMO the Nikon 105mm f2 is probably the best of that focal length with Oly Zuiko 100mm f2 very close behind.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1065?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

• Like 1

I have the samyang 12 which is absolutely fantastic for Astro etc. I got so swept up in the love fest for samyang that I branched out and brought ( very cheaply ) a samyang 85mm. The old adage of you get what you pay for is true. Even though it could produce good shots it was a frustrating lens to work with and I ended up trading it in.

im guessing you're wanting 3rd party due to cost. I would save my penny's and buy a Fuji 35mm f2. It is simply an outstanding lens and was my first fuji prime. Probably a little hard to get 2nd hand but in my country they're going for around $500 ( $400US), which is $200 more than the samyang but 300% more lens.

this was the first shot I took with it ( on my x-t1)

image.jpeg

Thanks for all the comments. One of the reasons why I was looking at Russian lenses is that I have an old Zorki-4 which used to belong to my dad. I planned to use some of them lenses with it. 

@veejaycee I'll take a look at the Nikon and Oly Zuiko lenses. Thanks for the tip

@RichardCFrost I've actually read your article about Industar. and it looks interesting, for the price i think i might give it a go just to experiment. 

@Buck777 Fuji XF 35mm f2 is in my list and i have been looking at it. But why not Fuji XF 35mm f1.4 ?

Having owned a variety of Pentax cameras over the years, and having seen how much a Fuji prime lens costs, I've been buying up lots of Pentax lenses, coupled with a K-mount to X-mount adapter. I've found some lovely lenses this way including a 28mm f2.8 (50 euro), a 50mm f1.7 (30 euro) and a 135mm f3.5 (60 euro).

All manual focus, but you get used to that real quick and the image quality is pretty good for the price.

Have a look at this site for some options - CLICKME!!

Thanks for the tip @manwithglasses. I've acquired a few manual lenses so far, but no Pentax as of yet. I will take a look at them in the future. I have found pentaxforums quite useful when researching lenses.