dmaclau

intelligent hybrid af

dmaclau

the XP2 Owner's manual (pg66) seems to indicate that intelligent hybrid af is a selection I can make but I can't find how to do that.  Is there any more info on this?

artuk

I don't think you can control it - the hybrid AF system simply uses the PDAF points on the sensor to judge an approximation of distance, then uses CDAF to complete the focusing and get final accuracy. There is nothing to turn on or off or configure beyond the AF mode (single, continuous etc) and AF area (local, zone etc)

veejaycee
23 hours ago, dmaclau said:

the XP2 Owner's manual (pg66) seems to indicate that intelligent hybrid af is a selection I can make but I can't find how to do that.  Is there any more info on this?

I suppose you can control it to a certain extent - or at least not use it - by selecting the CDAF points outside the central area.

I just looked through my downloaded copies of XE2 and XE2S manuals and I can't find the passage you refer to.

• Like 1

artuk
2 minutes ago, veejaycee said:

I suppose you can control it to a certain extent - or at least not use it - by selecting the CDAF points outside the central area.

that's true - should you not want to use it (?) then select an AF point near the edge of the frame. I'm not aware of any other option to control it, nor any reason why you would want to. PDAF in sensor is basically a focusing aid for the camera to speed up the focusing process, so disabling it would merely act to slow down focus using CDAF alone. In low light, or with very closed apertures, or when focusing using the edges of the frame, PDAF will not work anyway.