manwithglasses

Pentax K-mount to Fuji ...?

manwithglasses

Hi, apologies if this has been asked before.

I was given an old Pentax MZ5 by someone who was throwing it out. It's a lovely camera, uses something called 'film', whatever that is, and it comes with two great(ish) lenses: the standard kit lens and a Sigma 18mm-to-somethingorotherpossibly200mm lens. 

In an attempt to keep costs down, from reading the interweb, these Pentax camera have a K-mount, and apparently you can buy adapters to fit K-mount lenses onto the Fuji-X bodies.

So, with an adapter fitted would those lenses fit the X-T10 or X-T1 body that I'm thinking of buying? If so, what are the caveats to this? 

thnx! 

MadDog

Unless you have a camera with a full sized sensor (35mm), those lenses' focal lengths will be modified.   You can calculate the effective focal length by knowing the camera sensor size.   Additionally AF will not function.  Those "old" lenses are still capable of producing awesome imagery with digital camera sensors.  

K1W1_Mk2

I use a PK-FX adapter from K&F I brought on eBay. They run around US$15.00 and work perfectly. Lenses mount as solidly as if there was no adapter present.

Obviously there is no auto focus and you will also need to adjust the aperture on the lens so like all adapted lenses it can get a bit tricky trying to shoot small apertures and also focussing but its easy to get the hang of.

if the standard kit lens you have is the Pentax 50mm f1.7 that is a pretty good little lens to play with and for less than $20 its a great thing to have a go at. I suspect the Sigma will be a bit ordinary their QC was not that crash hot in film times but you never know until you try.

KF06.059_(1).JPG

• Like 1

manwithglasses

Thanks to all for the replies. 

@k1w1_Mk2 - it's an "SMC Pentax-F 1:4-5.6 35-80mm" lens. Kit, i'd imagine. Still works though, very smooth and fast and from the testshots of film I took the images are pretty sharp and colourful. 

I'm leaning towards the X-T10 because weather sealing is not a big deal to me (I don't do rain) and i can live with the slightly slower buffer speed of the XT-1. Most of the stuff I photograph remains stationary anyway, so .. 

The touchscreen would be nice but it's not worh the extra grand it would cost me. 

For €799 (670 sterling) I can get an X-T10 with a kit lens, or for €675 (about 565 sterling) a body only. The two Pentax lenses would be extra stuff to carry around, the three combined enough to get me started on my way.