Jump to content

Recommended Posts

reset

Hi, I just bought a second hand X100S, the camera looks really well, it seems to have really little use. I just made some pics to test it, and I am getting a couple of red dots on the image, on all of them, there were shot at 640 iso. On these pics you can see the bigger red dot bellow near the center and another more to the left.

Can this problem be solved? or it would be better to return the camera? Many thanks!

DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0623.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reset

it seems that this is a common hot pixel. the question might be then, it is possible to get rid of them? do i need to send it to service or there is a way/soft for doing this? many thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk

I cant see anything in your sample photos.

hot pixels can generally be mapped to remove them from the files in camera. Different makers do it differently -,for example Sony cameras periodically remap their sensors - do Fuji cameras have a menu item to force a sensor hot pixel map?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reset
2 hours ago, artuk said:

I cant see anything in your sample photos.

hot pixels can generally be mapped to remove them from the files in camera. Different makers do it differently -,for example Sony cameras periodically remap their sensors - do Fuji cameras have a menu item to force a sensor hot pixel map?

thanks for your reply. You can find the hot pixel below near the center, probably you wanna watch it on the full size pic.

Unfortunately you can not perform a pixel mapping from the camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
veejaycee

It is a hot pixel. I think you can only remap by sending it to Fuji.

You could send the picture to be sure and to get a quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reset
4 hours ago, veejaycee said:

It is a hot pixel. I think you can only remap by sending it to Fuji.

You could send the picture to be sure and to get a quote.

thanks vjc, I just sent back the camera. I've talk with fuji service and it would take some time and money.

am looking for another x100s in good shape now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Christopher
15 hours ago, reset said:

thanks vjc, I just sent back the camera. I've talk with fuji service and it would take some time and money.

am looking for another x100s in good shape now!

That's good you were able to return it. I'm curious, when you contacted Fujifilm, did they want to replace the whole sensor, or did they plan on mapping the hot pixel out of your camera at the service center?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk

I'm kind of surprised this cannot be done via the camera firmware, either automatically or user triggered. Pixels go dead or get stuck all the tine over the life of a sensor. Providing no ability to remap tue sensor to ignore them, and expecting a return to service at expense, seems very odd given experience with other camera systems. I wonder if the person on the phone actually understood the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reset
On 19/7/2016 at 1:12 PM, Christopher said:

That's good you were able to return it. I'm curious, when you contacted Fujifilm, did they want to replace the whole sensor, or did they plan on mapping the hot pixel out of your camera at the service center?

they say I have to send the camera first, they have to evaluate it, they could not do a proper diagnosis just by watching the pics (i send these 2 pics as well) If they find that just by pixel mapping the problem is solved, then there will be no charge other that shipping.

9 hours ago, artuk said:

I'm kind of surprised this cannot be done via the camera firmware, either automatically or user triggered. Pixels go dead or get stuck all the tine over the life of a sensor. Providing no ability to remap tue sensor to ignore them, and expecting a return to service at expense, seems very odd given experience with other camera systems. I wonder if the person on the phone actually understood the issue?

yes, I spoke on the phone with them and then by email, send the pics etc. I actually asked if there was a way of perform a pixel mapping on the camera, the said, no, I will have to send it to the service center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk
15 hours ago, reset said:

they say I have to send the camera first, they have to evaluate it, they could not do a proper diagnosis just by watching the pics (i send these 2 pics as well) If they find that just by pixel mapping the problem is solved, then there will be no charge other that shipping.

yes, I spoke on the phone with them and then by email, send the pics etc. I actually asked if there was a way of perform a pixel mapping on the camera, the said, no, I will have to send it to the service center.

Wow - that seems so "clunky" to have to send to service for such a simple issue solved by software.  For what it's worth, Sony / Minolta SLRs used to remap their sensor every calendar month based on the internal clock - so you could force it by changing the date in the camera!  I think Nikon 1 cameras had a menu item to force a sensor remap for dead and stuck pixels.  Either of those seems far preferable, given the nature of sensors and their tendency to have these problems over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Christopher

Maybe they will add the feature to the X-T3, and then the X-Pro3 with a firmware update ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
artuk
4 hours ago, Christopher said:

Maybe they will add the feature to the X-T3, and then the X-Pro3 with a firmware update ;) 

 

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

Maybe they will add the feature to the X-T3, and then the X-Pro3 with a firmware update ;) 

Maybe.

 

There is a slim possibility that the X-Trans sensor layout gives issues to mapping dead / stuck pixels and then ignoring them in the demosaicing - I say this since the red and blue pixels are very sparse compared to a Bayer sensor (I think one of each in every group of around 9 pixels that might be used in domasaicing, compared to 1 of each out of 4 for Bayer) - maybe dead red and blue pixels give issues because of the resultant missing colour data.  People who write raw development software would know - this is only idle speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
reset
21 hours ago, artuk said:

Wow - that seems so "clunky" to have to send to service for such a simple issue solved by software.  For what it's worth, Sony / Minolta SLRs used to remap their sensor every calendar month based on the internal clock - so you could force it by changing the date in the camera!  I think Nikon 1 cameras had a menu item to force a sensor remap for dead and stuck pixels.  Either of those seems far preferable, given the nature of sensors and their tendency to have these problems over time.

it definitely sucks, they should include this function on the firmware. Anyways this was the "S" so I guess there will be no firmware update anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recommended Discussions



×
×
  • Create New...